How Would You Improve the Anime Saga?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How Would You Improve the Anime Saga?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

bugmolly wrote:I would have liked to see more monsters running around, like an actual Monster planet with an ecosystem filled with giant monsters struggling to survive.
While the fanboy side of me would love that, and they definitely should have done more with the Servum, I think the reason why they chose not to was to show that Godzilla was the earth/ecosystem.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
bugmolly wrote:I would have liked to see more monsters running around, like an actual Monster planet with an ecosystem filled with giant monsters struggling to survive.
While the fanboy side of me would love that, and they definitely should have done more with the Servum, I think the reason why they chose not to was to show that Godzilla was the earth/ecosystem.
That is so true, they really needed to do more with them. Hell by the second movie, I had forgotten about the Servum.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Danny DeVito should've voiced Haruo
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

TheDolphinKaijuGod
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheDolphinKaijuGod »

For Monster Planet, they should've had short montages of monsters actually destroying stuff, maybe some shorter than others. Pretty much all of the characters could've been fleshed out more as well.

As for COTEOB, I would make Mechagodzilla not only been rebuild the factory, but also itself. The body of Mechagodzilla is nearly as big as Godzilla Earth now, but it is still a bit smaller and needs to be worked on some more.

Near the end of the film, Godzilla finally makes it to the city, but like in the concept, Mechagodzilla heads forms and start shooting at him, and trying to restrain him due to Mechagodzilla still needing more work. Godzilla barely makes it through it all however, and makes it to Mechagodzilla.

They two duke it out for a while, with the same human stuff from the film happening. Godzilla while wrestling with Mechagodzilla is able to knock the mech down, and almost kills it, but Godzilla is restrained by nano metal once more. Same stuff happens from the film again, and Godzilla is unleashed, and he curbstomps Mechagoji as Scarlet Godzilla before destroying the rest of the city. Oh yeah, more character development stuff besides Haruo's choice please. Especially Yuko, she was bland as hell.

All I can think of for now. As you can tell, most of the stuff I would change/improve is the monster battles.
Resized Image 

xolta
GPN Volunteer

Post by xolta »

Feell like the best thing that could be done now is to start over and let a new stuido give it a try. Maybe madhouse. Its weird to me, how they didnt give Hideaki Anno the anime from the begging. He could have pulled it off better, and i'm not even a super big fan of his.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

I would love to see the makers of Kill La Kill make a Godzilla anime. Or even better yet, Satoshi Kon.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

xolta
GPN Volunteer

Post by xolta »

MikeSTZillak wrote:I would love to see the makers of Kill La Kill make a Godzilla anime. Or even better yet, Satoshi Kon.
Satoshi Kon sadly passed away nine years ago.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

xolta wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:I would love to see the makers of Kill La Kill make a Godzilla anime. Or even better yet, Satoshi Kon.
Satoshi Kon sadly passed away nine years ago.
I know. but one can still dream.
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

xolta
GPN Volunteer

Post by xolta »

Oh sorry wasn't aware.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

xolta wrote:Oh sorry wasn't aware.
It's alright.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

When all is said and done, this Trilogy could have been outstanding... but instead, it ended up being an utter waste. I could tolerate the various monster tweaks, such as Treezilla, Void Ghidorah, MetropolisGodzilla, etc. if the films were actually good, but this Trilogy simply wasn't. If I were to change anything over the course of the films, it would be this:

1. Add more action overall. I actually quite enjoyed the finale of the first two films; even in spite of Godzilla's minute movement, the action sequences were very exciting and energetic. Godzilla movies don't always need action, but the very premise of the trilogy demands that it is more prevalent, especially in the first film. Show Godzilla utterly obliterating his rival monsters in the first film to establish how much of a threat this Godzilla is. Make his battle with Ghidorah more involved and tense in the third. Have MechaGodzilla actually appear in the second.

2. Better character progression and arcs. Human characters are rarely compelling in Godzilla films, but the cast in this trilogy is utterly obscene. Haruo never changes over the course of the films, and everyone else is simply... there, I suppose? Metaphis was somewhat interesting due to his ties to Ghidorah... but that's about it; everyone else is either forgettable or not worth remembering in the first place, due to an utter lack of character.

3. Better themes overall. Godzilla is perfectly capable of being a somber and serious franchise, so tackling more heavy themes is perfectly acceptable... unless you do it badly. The idea of humanity giving up on Earth after it being completed dominated by Godzilla is a genuinely interesting concept, and brings forth many ideological questions. How far is humanity willing to go to preserve their home world? What sacrifices must be made to do so? How do humans cope with a completely new and borderline alien environment? What does the age of Godzilla's dominance mean for humanity as a whole, onward into the future? The film never even considers these questions; it instead chose to constantly give exposition about the Earth and the various Kaiju, and play with certain themes such as religion and cults, but never truly go anywhere with them or bring anything new to the table. There is a general theme of "blind revenge will bring you ruin," I suppose, but the missed potential is still there.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

BNSF1995
Samurai

Post by BNSF1995 »

Here's how I'd improve the anime trilogy:

Don't make the anime trilogy and instead use Shin Godzilla as the starting point for a new continuity. Explore the consequences of Godzilla's sudden appearance, and the resulting emergence of other monsters that causes global strife.

Because the anime trilogy was just Urobutcher applying the Madoka formula to Godzilla. That, or he was inspired by Rian Johnson to subvert everyone's expectations.

American Godzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by American Godzilla »

If I were to list every change I would do to the Anime Trilogy, it would be way too long for one post. Instead I will focus on one aspect, the "Void Ghidorah".

I like the Lovecraftian themes, but the makers should have taken it to Cthulhu levels. For example...
1a: In Lovecraft's "Call of Cthulhu", Cthulhu's cult were heading towards R'lyeh to perform a ritual to bring out Cthulhu (thus making the "stars right") and conquer the world. Instead the cult were killed off by strangers who stumbled upon the island and by accident freed Cthulhu. Cthulhu sinking into the sea (along with his city) from that boat going through his head was to me more of the fact that the "stars were not right" and thus could not stay in our realm for long. In addition, Cthulhu's cult has been around since the dawn of humanity and will continue to be around when Cthulhu eventually is freed (this is inevitable).

1b: For Void Ghidorah (to me renamed Eldritch Ghidorah) it would be a similar inspired deal. Ghidorah's cult doesn't need Haruo in order to summon their diety, but the ritual does need to be done properly for Ghidorah to be at full power and allowed to be in our realm forever. When interrupted, Ghidorah's full body still comes into our realm... but starts fading faster (aka starting to head back into his realm) the longer he stays in our realm when not fully powered. He stays long enough to do a deed, such as erasing Godzilla from existence. Similar to Cthulhu, Ghidorah's cult will always be around. After the events of the 3rd film, Ghidorah's will is spread among the remaining humans and Mothra-people (making them into his new cultists).

2a: Take out that fragile eye piece which Ghidorah needed to 'see' in our realm. My Eldritch Ghidorah has 0% weaknesses save from the above stated ritual summon requirements. Ghidorah can see in our realm just fine. Without a way to take away intangibility, Godzilla would really have no chance at victory. Heck, he could be a Composite form of all Godzillas and still he would not win. The whole "erased from existence" thing, at least how fast Godzilla is erased, is determined on if Ghidorah was properly ritual summoned. If he was, then Godzilla would be erased/devoured in 30 seconds (at most)! Since he wasn't, 10 minutes.

2b: Like Cthulhu, who has "Deep Ones" or formerly human followers who were 'gifted' by Cthulhu and transformed into deep sea fish-folk (won't die of old age or disease) Ghidorah also bestows his best followers the 'gift' of being transformed into human-sized energy creatures that will dwell with him in his 'paradise' of a void.

3: For the overall film, Haruo still debates on letting go his need for revenge vs destroying Godzilla for all. In my version, the Ghidorah cult does not lie about any past event (like Haruo being saved from the Nanometal due to Mothra powder), but attribute fortunate situations ultimately to Ghidorah. In my version, Haruo agrees to the ritual despite the Mothra twins trying to convince him otherwise. The Mothra twins do succeed in interrupting the ritual though. Much like Ahab from Moby Dick, Haruo's need for revenge costs him not only the life of Godzilla, but Mothra herself (who emerged to Godzilla's aid); and half of the Mothra people/human. Haruo regrets his choices and is trying to figure out how to prevent others from hearing Ghidorah's words.

The film would end with Haruo mysteriously dying, many say he died of guilt... though in reality he died by the hands of the Ghidorah Cult, who's members now includes many of the Mothra folk... even one of the Mothra twins! Moral of the story: do not be obsessed with revenge as it will not only destroy you and possibly your target, but innocents as well. The other side of the story would be the Lovecraftian themes (". The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.")
Last edited by American Godzilla on Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a believe of God and Jesus Christ my saviour and not afraid to say so.
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

AllHailTheKing
Ronin

Post by AllHailTheKing »

I would've like ONE big monster fight. Loved the first movie. Didn't like the second one at first until I read all the comments and reviews...then grew to appreciate it for its world building. But I was expecting it all to end with at least one big monster fight and Ghidorah ended up being very disappointing.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Simple, instead of showing the aftermath of Godzilla's conquest, SHOW GODZILLA'S CONQUEST.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GuardianGhido wrote:Simple, instead of showing the aftermath of Godzilla's conquest, SHOW GODZILLA'S CONQUEST.
Yeah, I would've loved to see him marching around. Atleast they showed us something instead of telling us.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

rawribreathebluefire
Young Farmer

Post by rawribreathebluefire »

I would do the following:
1): Make it a Kaiju Planet rather than a Godzilla Planet. That way, we could see more exciting action in-between the main Godzilla fights. For example, instead of those dragon-things in the first movie's fight sequence, we could have some B-List Kaiju appear (Like Gabara), and when they're about to be killed, Godzilla Filius comes and bites its head off, giving them some time to escape.
2): Make Haruo a more interesting character. He's just a cliche Shonen character in those movies.
3): Less exposition, more action. This is a Godzilla movie, for Ghidorah's sake.
4): Make MechaGodzilla actually be a Mecha and fight Godzilla in the second movie.
5): Give King Ghidorah a body. A massive body, but a body nonetheless.
6): Spend some more time in planet Earth pre-departure to show how impactful Godzilla really was.
7): Be more creative with the human/alien designs, they looked kind of bland in my opinion.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

By basing it off the novels.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Make the first one, the Apocalypse they make it out to be.

Second one be the jump forward in time

third one be Planet Eater with a more active and present group of kaiju.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
third one be Planet Eater with a more active and present group of kaiju.
Can ya elaborate on this?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos