A monsterverse TV show? (potential spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Re: A monsterverse TV show? (potential spoilers)

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

A cartoon I feel would be the best way

Not only could create new fans (kids dig giant monsters much more than adults, a lot of us started as kids after all) but would give a big budget for the fights, and plenty of exposure.

And sinc IIRC Warner owns CN, we've already got a big name that could air such show
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

it would be cool to see the animated documentary series in the style of “Walking with Dinosaurs” about the evolution and life of the titans in the prehistoric era

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I'd be into a more tame, kid friendly, animated series. Would be like that Star Wars Rebels or Clone War show. I don't remember which (maybe both) were canon, I believe. But they seem to have a following. Now, obviously Godzilla and the monsterverse isn't star wars, but that show seemed like ti really helped them expand their base.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Honestly, what I'd prefer more would be an animated anthology a la The Animatrix or Batman: Gotham Knights. I was expecting them to do something like that after G'14 and was pretty surprised they never did.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Pkmatrix wrote:Honestly, what I'd prefer more would be an animated anthology a la The Animatrix or Batman: Gotham Knights. I was expecting them to do something like that after G'14 and was pretty surprised they never did.
I'd be so into this. Give me a 5 episode, twilight zone style, anthology show about the various creatures (both big and small) in this universe. Episodes could range from horror to action, it could be awesome.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Yeah and among the small creatures we could easily have things like Shockrius as subtle nods to G-Fans. Maybe even tiny Destoroyah crabs trying to form into bigger monsters but stopped by protective measures such as freezing weapons or flamethrowers as a cool teaser and a way to show Monarch's competence. A premature Destoroyah "outbreak" would make an EPIC horror episode! You could even use Matango! So many possibilities!
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Here's your TV spinoff bro:
Spoiler:
That being said I'd like something sort of like a Monsterverse version of Godzilla: The Series, except with a bigger focus on an overarching story and worldbuilding mixed in with the monster-of-the-week episodes. We already have all the ingredients; the USS Argo as a cool means of transportation, Castle Bravo as the cool underwater base, a rebuilt ORCA (and possibly psychics as well given the Chen Twin's odd connection with Mothra) as a means to signal and communicate with the Titans, etc.

The way I would have personally done it In the aftermath of the events of KoTM and GvK, the surviving members of MONARCH and the G-Team (mainly the surviving characters from the aforementioned two movies with some OCs mixed in for variety - Mark and Madison Russell would be the main characters) travel around the world, doing their best to mitigate conflict between the newly-awakened Titans and the people of Earth. They are aided in their efforts by "good" Titans such as Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and occasionally Kong whenever he gets off his island. Alan Jonah and his gang of ecoterrorists could return as recurring human villains continually trying to use the Titans as weapons of terrorism to advance their anti-human agenda.
Olzh26 wrote:it would be cool to see the animated documentary series in the style of “Walking with Dinosaurs” about the evolution and life of the titans in the prehistoric era
This would be pretty cool too, quite honestly. Not sure you could milk an entire series out of it, but some sort of greater exploration of the prehistoric periods in which the Titans once thrived would be neat.
Pkmatrix wrote:Honestly, what I'd prefer more would be an animated anthology a la The Animatrix or Batman: Gotham Knights. I was expecting them to do something like that after G'14 and was pretty surprised they never did.
An anthology series like that could give you a lot of latitude to explore all sorts of different aspects of the Monsterverse, so that would be a good option. You could have a story set in the prehistoric past showing a younger Godzilla fighting to survive or his first battle with Ghidorah alongside something like a human interest story showing a rescue worker trying to do his job amidst a kaiju battle, or the USS Lawton incident as remembered by Randa, or Huston Brook's progression through MONARCH in the aftermath of Skull Island, or even something like how the Brody family fared in the aftermath of 2014.
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

xolta
GPN Volunteer

Post by xolta »

Id be down for a monstervesre show done by the same stuido as netflix's castlevania anime. Then it least it would look good.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I really do think an animated TV series of Godzilla should be done again one day. Although chances are it will take place in its own continuity apart from the Monsterverse, but that doesn't mean that it still can't be largely modeled after it.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I know it's a popular idea with some in this community, but I just don't see it. Legendary's never dabbled with television to the best of my knowledge, and to do the special effects justice would require a budget on like a Game of Thrones level, and that ain't bloody likely. At best you can hope for would be a CW DC superhero show level special effects like say The Flash, say any King Shark or Gorilla Grodd episode, at the end of probably a four episode arc for the Loch Ness Monster where you go all Jaws with it and play hide the Nessie for the bulk of the series. Kind of like that one I think made for tv movie from the 90s with the dude from Cheers (Ted Danson?). Which would get real old real fast if they went for more monsters. Face it, CGI might be cheaper and better tv-wise than it was in the past, but it still ain't on the level to give us a real good giant monster of the week series like you want. Best you could hope for is another Godzilla or Kong cartoon.

Added in 4 minutes 58 seconds:
KingKaiju wrote:I've recently heard Michael Dougherty mention having ideas for television for The Monsterverse, citing things like a "Planet Earth" style docuseries, and it got me thinking about how potentially cool a TV show would be.
I will say I *could* see a two-to-four episode "docuseries" ala Walking With Dinosaurs, only you know, with fictional giant monsters instead.

Edit:
But definitely in no possible universe anything ever approaching 10 episodes. Think much smaller. Much, much smaller.

Added in 10 minutes 45 seconds:
KingKaiju wrote:I loved all the new monsters we've seen so far, and I'd love to see where they can go with this. Problem would be, it would be quite expensive to produce. But the way I see it, you don't need a new kaiju every episode. Focus on one for ever 2-3 episodes.
The Flash does like one Gorilla Grodd episode per 20-something episode season. I assume making creature effect every couple or few episodes is more expensive than we want to admit. Be less ambitious!

Added in 5 minutes 13 seconds:
KingKaiju wrote:If we find that MAYBE movies aren't the way to go, I'd love to see them give it a shot on TV. Maybe not a network Television show, but something like Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu, where you can get a little more cinematic.
If they decide that films aren't the way to go with that Monsterverse, they're not going to continue the Monsterverse, period. No movies, no nothing. They're not going to make a show on a failed film universe. No way. The only way we get any kind of show, is if the movies do well enough to justify expanding it further. But them deciding movies aren't the way to go means them deciding this whole Monsterverse isn't the way to go and that'd be the end of the whole thing.

Added in 16 minutes 43 seconds:
ManuJM1997 wrote:A cartoon I feel would be the best way

Not only could create new fans (kids dig giant monsters much more than adults, a lot of us started as kids after all) but would give a big budget for the fights, and plenty of exposure.

And sinc IIRC Warner owns CN, we've already got a big name that could air such show
No. Cartoon Network isn't a place for action cartoons. Beware the Batman, Green Lantern the Animated Series, Young Justice, Megas XLR, Thundercats (2011), Sym-Bionic Titan, etc. All killed off because they didn't match the kind of programming the CN numbskulls want. Godzilla will not find success on that channel. Better hope for a WB streaming service.
Last edited by Vakanai on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Vakanai wrote:I Legendary's never dabbled with television to the best of my knowledge,
Legendary has several shows actually. Most recently the Lost in Space reboot and the recently canceled alien invasion drama Colony.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
Vakanai wrote:I Legendary's never dabbled with television to the best of my knowledge,
Legendary has several shows actually. Most recently the Lost in Space reboot and the recently canceled alien invasion drama Colony.
...somehow I'm actually less convinced of their potential TV capabilities than before now.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Oh I’m just playing around with ideas on this. I’d be very very VERY shocked if something like this ever came to fruition.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Vakanai wrote:
...somehow I'm actually less convinced of their potential TV capabilities than before now.
I haven't seen the last season yet, but I quite liked Colony from the seasons I have seen so far. And as far as Lost in Sapce, not really something I'm interested in, but I've quite good things about it too. Is that inaccurate?
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The father-daughter duo has a lot of potential for an ongoing story. Could work well for live action or animation.

An animated series would give them more freedom in depicting kaiju of course.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
I haven't seen the last season yet, but I quite liked Colony from the seasons I have seen so far. And as far as Lost in Sapce, not really something I'm interested in, but I've quite good things about it too. Is that inaccurate?
Haven't watched either, just pointing out my own personal bias that anything Lost in Space reminds me of the campy 60's series and meh 90's movie, and a no name sci-fi drama I've never heard of, doesn't instill confidence in me personally. I'd need something where I can go, "Oh I keep hearing about that show!" to make me trust they can tackle something like this and make it, well, not lame. Special effects heavy monster of the week shows really need something special to be, well, something special.