A monsterverse TV show? (potential spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KingKaiju
Futurian

A monsterverse TV show? (potential spoilers)

Post by KingKaiju »

I've recently heard Michael Dougherty mention having ideas for television for The Monsterverse, citing things like a "Planet Earth" style docuseries, and it got me thinking about how potentially cool a TV show would be.

Obviously, Dougherty saying this doesn't guarantee anything and, realistically, a Monsterverse television show is pretty far-fetched, especially considering KOTM's current box office numbers. However, the thought of a 10-episode show form Netflix or Amazon, following a few characters from Monarch would be super cool. It would give us a chance to follow other sections of monarch throughout the world, narrow down on the the characters, and really taking it's time to develop both Monarch as an organization and the people within it. Not to mention, we would get to see all sorts of new kaiju. I'd be super into something like this, or even an anthology miniseries (5-6 episodes). You could have it be like the Marvel Netflix shows, where Godzilla is referenced but never mentioned by name, he's "the big guy" in the same way that Hulk was "The green dude" or Cap was "the flag waver" in Jessica Jones.

Imagine a Dougherty produced show where a small group of Monarch members have to travel from city to city, dealing with a new monster every few episodes, all while trying to avoid Charles Dance's opposing terrorist group. It could almost be a test for other directors to come in and try their hand at this universe, while we have Dougherty overseeing the whole thing so that we can keep the tone consistent with the films. I think it would even leave room for some characters to appear in the films, since we don't have to worry about what they're doing while the films are going on, in the same way that we worry about the MCU. I'd love to see all the different kind of kaiju they'd explore, and we'd really get the opportunity to dive into Monarch as an organization.

I loved all the new monsters we've seen so far, and I'd love to see where they can go with this. Problem would be, it would be quite expensive to produce. But the way I see it, you don't need a new kaiju every episode. Focus on one for ever 2-3 episodes.

Here's a very interesting discussion with Michael Dougherty on the ending for KOTM. At 14:45, he mentions that this would be "a really fun concept to explore on television."

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: A monsterverse TV show? (potential spoilers)

Post by GuardianGhido »

I am absolutely on board with a TV show for the monsterverse (it might actually help keep it alive too) but I'm not sure Mike's the right idea for that. He'll probably end up making things on the line of KOTM which wouldn't really fit for a TV series. I'd also suggest making the series more Monarch centered with way less Titan screentime overall to cut down on costs. That would make it a good "laying low" option for the Monsterverse. Instead of dealing with active Monsters, it would be about field and lab research and other Titan related but not directly Titan involved things Monarch does with occasional conflict generated by ecoterrorists, possible Kaiju parasites (Shockirus maybe?) and other threats.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'd like an X-Files/Godzilla: The Animated Series approach to it.

Imagine the characters going across the world investigating various monsters and such. One of those episodes could even be Nessie.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

GuardianGhido wrote:I am absolutely on board with a TV show for the monsterverse (it might actually help keep it alive too) but I'm not sure Mike's the right idea for that. He'll probably end up making things on the line of KOTM which wouldn't really fit for a TV series. I'd also suggest making the series more Monarch centered with way less Titan screentime overall to cut down on costs. That would make it a good "laying low" option for the Monsterverse. Instead of dealing with active Monsters, it would be about field and lab research and other Titan related but not directly Titan involved things Monarch does with occasional conflict generated by ecoterrorists, possible Kaiju parasites (Shockirus maybe?) and other threats.
O0o0o0o0o I didn't even think about the smaller threats! That would be awesome!! But that was my thinking with the Monsterverse. If we find that MAYBE movies aren't the way to go, I'd love to see them give it a shot on TV. Maybe not a network Television show, but something like Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu, where you can get a little more cinematic.

Added in 8 minutes 31 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I'd like an X-Files/Godzilla: The Animated Series approach to it.

Imagine the characters going across the world investigating various monsters and such. One of those episodes could even be Nessie.
And, we've already seen that they can design some pretty cool looking monsters. It would be cool to see them dive into that. A smaller budget could also meant that we kind of go oldschool as well, a mix of CGI, practical effects, and use of the story and camera to show the monsters. I'm not a big TV guy, but I do have certain shows I love. This would totally sell me.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

So again, rumors. RUMORS. Anyhow...

Supposedly it focuses on new kaiju and that Godzilla doesn’t really appear. Kong though has a bigger focus though although it isn’t massive. Also, they’re looking towards premiering it via Amazon or something.
Long Live The King

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Hokmuto wrote:So again, rumors. RUMORS. Anyhow...

Supposedly it focuses on new kaiju and that Godzilla doesn’t really appear. Kong though has a bigger focus though although it isn’t massive. Also, they’re looking towards premiering it via Amazon or something.
I'm getting more and more ready to scream bidibidibidibidibidi at the top of my lungs.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Wait... WHAT?! What is this?!?!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I mean not every monster in this universe needs to be a titan. I mean KSI proves that. Maybe even touch upon things like Bigfoot and "real life" cryptids to add some variety.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I was actually thinking of how they could make the franchise more successful by going more into the comics and maybe a tv show.

I`d be more for a TV show because you`d need better writing, and couldn`t just have Godzilla violently beating a monster every week. I think it would also be a great way to work things on a smaller scale, and introduce creatures that aren`t really worthy of their own film. Maybe save fights for big events or something. I`m all for this!

It`s probably also easier to be financially successful because there`s less of a gamble then KOTM.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Put Millie Bobby Brown in it and all her fangirls will give the show enough success to last 20,000 years.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Put Millie Bobby Brown in it and all her fangirls will give the show enough success to last 20,000 years.
That apparently didn't work for KotM tho did it given its performance so far...

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Put Millie Bobby Brown in it and all her fangirls will give the show enough success to last 20,000 years.
That apparently didn't work for KotM tho did it given its performance so far...
There`S a big difference between putting something on Netflix or Amazon and putting something in theaters. People pay what they would for a single viewing of a movie a month of what they do for netflix, and can enjoy it in the privacy of their homes. I think this format would work a lot better.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

LSD Jellyfish wrote:There`S a big difference between putting something on Netflix or Amazon and putting something in theaters. People pay what they would for a single viewing of a movie a month of what they do for netflix, and can enjoy it in the privacy of their homes. I think this format would work a lot better.
I mean if that's the case wouldn't that be the case for Dwayne Johnson too which would explain why Rampage did decently? :?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonziller
Samurai

Post by Anonziller »

I'd love to see a Primeval type show set in the monsterverse where monarch agents travel the globe and deal with smaller monsters, giant bugs, maybe have an episode called "THOSE!" or something involving giant ants ;) , cryptid inspired creatures and maybe classic some creatures from public domain movies like Killer Shrews, Giant Leeches, Giant Gila Monsters, etc.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

IF that were true, that'd make sense as Legendary owns the new kaiju outright and thanks to Kong's public domain status they can do whatever they want with him. Also, if such a show were to be produced and premiere on a streaming service, the likeliest one would be the new WarnerMedia service launching next year considering Warner Brothers has been co-producing the MonsterVerse thus far. I could see something like a short six-episode MonsterVerse series being pitched as one of the launch titles for WarnerMedia, since they're trying to set it up in addition to HBO and in opposition to Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu/DisneyPlus

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

This sounds like a good way to go. Smaller budget, focus on some of the smaller Titans and just mention Godzilla is out there lurking/ ruling.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:There`S a big difference between putting something on Netflix or Amazon and putting something in theaters. People pay what they would for a single viewing of a movie a month of what they do for netflix, and can enjoy it in the privacy of their homes. I think this format would work a lot better.
I mean if that's the case wouldn't that be the case for Dwayne Johnson too which would explain why Rampage did decently? :?
If you mean how come rampage did well and KOTM didn`t, Dwanye Johnson had a lot more prominence in the films advertising. As much as I like the decision to have the monsters in the forefront, pretty much all the Rampage adverts had him in it. Plus, as much as I like Millie Bobby Brown, I don`t know if she`s as iconic or recognizable as Johnson.

And my point isn`t excusing KOTM flopping; I`m saying that It`s easier and less of a gamble to release something on streaming. When you buy a movie ticket it`s a hard commitment. You have to watch the whole movie (as opposed to watching ten mins and deciding if you want to watch the rest). You also can`t pause it, and you have to deal with garbage. I feel like something like KOTM would have a lot of views on a streaming platform.

My main complaint with KOTM was the story and writing. With a smaller budget, the creators of the show would be forced to have better written characters. Instead of big city stompers, they could have an episode where a Titan or monster surfaces in a small town. Of course they could have big events.

I doubt Godzilla would appear for rights issues, but I`m sure they can name drop him.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

LSD Jellyfish wrote:If you mean how come rampage did well and KOTM didn`t, Dwanye Johnson had a lot more prominence in the films advertising. As much as I like the decision to have the monsters in the forefront, pretty much all the Rampage adverts had him in it. Plus, as much as I like Millie Bobby Brown, I don`t know if she`s as iconic or recognizable as Johnson.

And my point isn`t excusing KOTM flopping; I`m saying that It`s easier and less of a gamble to release something on streaming. When you buy a movie ticket it`s a hard commitment. You have to watch the whole movie (as opposed to watching ten mins and deciding if you want to watch the rest). You also can`t pause it, and you have to deal with garbage. I feel like something like KOTM would have a lot of views on a streaming platform.

My main complaint with KOTM was the story and writing. With a smaller budget, the creators of the show would be forced to have better written characters. Instead of big city stompers, they could have an episode where a Titan or monster surfaces in a small town. Of course they could have big events.

I doubt Godzilla would appear for rights issues, but I`m sure they can name drop him.
Fair point. Now that you mention it the Dwayne and Millie comparison was a weak comparison.

Cloverfield48
Samurai

Post by Cloverfield48 »

Yes, i'm already thought about this kind of Tv Series since Kong Skull Island. But I think we are not getting this, because MV is not growing it's fanbase. There is almost no chance GvK gain more more money than half of K:SI and half of GKOTM. More money=more people on board for future Films and even Tv Show.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

You can do an entire season with Skull Island alone. You know what's lurking on that island that wasn't shown in the movie? Forget Mother Longlegs, Leafwings and Skullcrawlers, a pack of Death Jackals is scary.