Gamera in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Post by Hokmuto »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Hey don't forget the most of all yo!

A talking gun-trotting raccoon and humanoid tree!
Equivocation fallacy
Long Live The King

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

_JNavs_ wrote:I don't think Marvel counts here, since most of what's been done in the MCU is complete fantasy and a far cry from what the Monsterverse has aimed for in the past 5 years.
While comparisons to the MCU are overdone and tiring it's worth noting that they started out with the relatively "grounded" Iron Man I and II and The Incredible Hulk before they got all space fantasy with the rest
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

G2000 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I don't think Marvel counts here, since most of what's been done in the MCU is complete fantasy and a far cry from what the Monsterverse has aimed for in the past 5 years.
While comparisons to the MCU are overdone and tiring it's worth noting that they started out with the relatively "grounded" Iron Man I and II and The Incredible Hulk before they got all space fantasy with the rest
That's true, but they also had Thor around the same time Ironman 2 came out (I think), so while the grounded elements were definitely there, it was pretty short lived as soon as Thor popped up.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Plus both GotG and Rampage, specifically more so Rampage, played up the comedy and upped the fun factor to max while diminishing it's story and themes .

The Monsterverse while touching on elements such as extraterrestrial life and the Hollow Earth theory, keep it a lot more uniform and science-based. It's Pseudo-realism with touches of the fantastical (within the realm of believability and homaging what's come before)
You mean what the Monsterverse has aimed for in all of two, maybe three movies? The realism/fantasy stand is far from set in stone. Besides, I'd argue "pseudo-realism" has more to do with the tone and atmosphere than the quasi scientific plausibility really. Gamera can easily fit into a franchise with the Hollow Earth and space dragons. Just give him the same pseudo science fiction based spiel everything else has.

Added in 1 minute 31 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:
G2000 wrote:
That's true, but they also had Thor around the same time Ironman 2 came out (I think), so while the grounded elements were definitely there, it was pretty short lived as soon as Thor popped up.
Gamera could be the Monsterverse's Thor.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Vakanai wrote:

Plus both GotG and Rampage, specifically more so Rampage, played up the comedy and upped the fun factor to max while diminishing it's story and themes .

The Monsterverse while touching on elements such as extraterrestrial life and the Hollow Earth theory, keep it a lot more uniform and science-based. It's Pseudo-realism with touches of the fantastical (within the realm of believability and homaging what's come before)
You mean what the Monsterverse has aimed for in all of two, maybe three movies? The realism/fantasy stand is far from set in stone. Besides, I'd argue "pseudo-realism" has more to do with the tone and atmosphere than the quasi scientific plausibility really. Gamera can easily fit into a franchise with the Hollow Earth and space dragons. Just give him the same pseudo science fiction based spiel everything else has.
Oh no I think you misunderstood, I think Gamera could fit in the Monsterverse. But comparing the Monsterverse to something like GOTG or Rampage just isn't the same for the reasons I listed.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

Oh no I think you misunderstood, I think Gamera could fit in the Monsterverse. But comparing the Monsterverse to something like GOTG or Rampage just isn't the same for the reasons I listed.
Oh yeah, okay then I get that. Although I wouldn't mind a comedy film or two set in the Monsterverse just for variety.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Vakanai wrote: Oh yeah, okay then I get that. Although I wouldn't mind a comedy film or two set in the Monsterverse just for variety.
:freak: Nahh..... How would you even make a comedy when there's giant monsters and humans in the same screen? Would the death of thousands of humans be played for laughs?
Long Live The King

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Hokmuto wrote: Would the death of thousands of humans be played for laughs?
That's messed up...
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Hokmuto wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Oh yeah, okay then I get that. Although I wouldn't mind a comedy film or two set in the Monsterverse just for variety.
:freak: Nahh..... How would you even make a comedy when there's giant monsters and humans in the same screen? Would the death of thousands of humans be played for laughs?
Exactly, I just can't see it. At most if they include Baragon, he could be played off as a "cute" kaiju for laughs, while still being able to look vicious, but that's Mothra's job.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Hokmuto wrote:
Obviously not, I meant more like along the lines of Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man. MCU comedy, not Dracula Dead and Loving It with Godzilla. I think that kind of more comedic tone could work.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Godzilla’s already the guardian of the Earth in this universe, adding Gamera would be redundant.
Facts don't care about your feelings

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ben Shapiro wrote:Godzilla’s already the guardian of the Earth in this universe, adding Gamera would be redundant.
Gamera is Guardian of the Universe and would trump Godzilla anyway.

Added in 15 days 2 hours 29 minutes 21 seconds:
Anyone see the suspect concept art?

https://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/mo ... e-art-book

This plus this.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/interview ... -spoilers/
Last edited by miguelnuva on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

miguelnuva wrote:
Ben Shapiro wrote:Godzilla’s already the guardian of the Earth in this universe, adding Gamera would be redundant.

This plus this.

one, how do they know it's Kumonga and not Scylla?

two, while i do agree that the other two are certainly Gigan and Gamera, it's probably just easter eggs and nothing more.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

tyrantgoji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

This plus this.

one, how do they know it's Kumonga and not Scylla?

two, while i do agree that the other two are certainly Gigan and Gamera, it's probably just easter eggs and nothing more.
I'd bet the house they're Easter eggs but had Kotm blown up at the box office I do wonder if Gamera was on radar.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

What a shame! If people didn't embrace a Godzilla sequel with Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan, there's no way Gamera is getting made. What could have been. :(
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I feel like they drew Gigan and Gamera just for the “woah” factor. Doubt they ever actually considered them for the film.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

miguelnuva wrote:

This plus this.

oh I hope this is legit... beautiful indeed.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Again, that’s just how Concept art is. Just like the Pacific Rim monsters, they’re just placeholders. (Or for fun by the concept artists.) In Avengers Endgame, all the superheroes are just white mannequins in the key frames/concept art.

Legendary doesn’t have the rights to these monsters and they weren’t considered for the film.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Seems to be more talk of Gamera on this forum lately. Anyone still hopeful Gamera could get a MonsterVerse movie after Godzilla vs Kong?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote:Seems to be more talk of Gamera on this forum lately. Anyone still hopeful Gamera could get a MonsterVerse movie after Godzilla vs Kong?
After what happened with Kotm I think we need Godzilla vs Kong to be decent(700m+) and at least one more film after that to do 600m+.

Had Kotm done the 700m-800m like I thought it would with the way the trailer was getting buzz Inwould have said possible especially after Dougherty mentioned Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image