Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Re: Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

Post by imposterzilla »

Or is he?

tokumei
Yojimbo

Post by tokumei »

Obviously.
“never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

I kind of like the idea of having both Mothra twins surviving into adulthood and giving us two adult moths. They emerge from their cocoons (shared cocoon?), perform a beautiful and dynamic aerial courtship/mating ritual, afterwards MaMothra defends the area where FeMothra lays and broods in secret their egg.

Battera could be the result of a corruption of that process, threatening to rob mankind forever of her . . . his . . . their endless divinity.
Last edited by Shin Gabara on Sat May 11, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . .

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Shin Gabara wrote:I kind of like the idea of having both Mothra twins surviving into adulthood and giving us two adult moths. They emerge from their cocoons (shared cocoon?), perform a beautiful and dynamic aerial courtship/mating ritual, afterwards MaMothra defends the area where FeMothra lays and broods in secret their egg.

Battera could be the result of a corruption of that process, threatening to rob mankind forever of her . . . his . . . their endless divinity.

Not sure if serious... but I don't picture Mothra incest going over real well with a lot of people...

I would say she's better off reproducing asexually, or magically, or however she's always pulled it off.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote:
Shin Gabara wrote:I kind of like the idea of having both Mothra twins surviving into adulthood and giving us two adult moths. They emerge from their cocoons (shared cocoon?), perform a beautiful and dynamic aerial courtship/mating ritual, afterwards MaMothra defends the area where FeMothra lays and broods in secret their egg.

Not sure if serious... but I don't picture Mothra incest going over real well with a lot of people...

I would say she's better off reproducing asexually, or magically, or however she's always pulled it off.
Not to try and bring nature or realism into it, but isn't incest basically how ants and bees do it?

But agreed, I'd prefer the two Mothras don't do it.
Last edited by Vakanai on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The “World of Godzilla” will be the future of this franchise . I can’t wait to see what plans Toho has.

Shin Godzilla is still super popular. It makes you wonder if they should just kind of course correct and start this new universe with Shin Godzilla 2. They don’t have to call it Shin Godzilla..
Last edited by Cookson on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Hasn't it been known for some time that World of Godzilla was a worldwide expansion avenue and not a new franchise?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:Hasn't it been known for some time that World of Godzilla was a worldwide expansion avenue and not a new franchise?
it'll probably still have a new era to go along with it though.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Cookson wrote:The “World of Godzilla” will be the future of this franchise . I can’t wait to see what plans Toho has.

Shin Godzilla is still super popular. It makes you wonder if they should just kind of course correct and start this new universe with Shin Godzilla 2. They don’t have to call it Shin Godzilla..
Love Shin, but feel its better off as a standalone film.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Post Shin and KOTM, I think Toho will excel if they bring back the suits with modern techniques and provide a film with a good plot but good action.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

_JNavs_ wrote:Hasn't it been known for some time that World of Godzilla was a worldwide expansion avenue and not a new franchise?
It is but there’s been a few articles where they specifically mention doing a new universe.
Last edited by Cookson on Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

One of my biggest hopes is that while it doesn't have to match the monsterverse, it will take plenty of cues from it. Besides that I have many other hopes for it. Buckle up folks, it's gonna be a long post.

1: Have good fighting styles for kaiju. A perfect mix of human brawlnig, animalistic mauling and energy attacks that really captivates audiences. All of the kaijus in KOTM, 14 and K:SI fight in such dynamic and intersting ways that it blows most other kaiju fights i've seen outta the water. There's no need to do that well in the fighting department but you could at least not give us Heisei beam spamming or campy wrestling and instead give us a balanced fighting style for Kaijus that would make it feel like that's how they would fight if they were really doing so. Instead of staying in one place and firing beams, have them use everything they have at disposal. Tails, hands, feet, wings, teeth, even full body tackles, anything goes in a fight.

2: Characterize Godzilla well. You could have Godzilla either be a vengeful destroyer with a proper backstory and motivation for attacking humans or a protector of earth but not a protector of humanity. Don't make him a King Ghidorah like being who just kills humans and other Kaiju for the hell of it like Godzilla Earth. And don't make him a benevolent hero that saves humans actively either. If you want a heroic Godzilla, give him the role of earth's protector and balance keeper like MV Godzilla and have him only save humans coincidentially or by killing the bigger threats. If you want a villainous Godzilla give him a reason to be evil like GMK Godzilla (souls of the tormented coming back for revenge) or Shin/54 (An animal instinctively lashing out at its tormentors in mutated agony and destroying attackers and areas around it in self defenese).

3: If you have him, characterize King Ghidorah well. Showa King Ghidorah is said to be one of the best Ghidorahs but he was only that in his first appearance. After that he was reduced to a puppet of aliens. Don't ruin the son of a bidi like that, make him the malevolent destroyer he's supposed to be. The Ghidorah from 2019 is the perfect example of an evil Ghidorah IMO. He perfectly showcases his malevolence through his actions expressions and overall presence. Anime Ghidorah tries to do so but fails considering he just seems like a mindless destroyer not a twisted monster that revels in carnage. In fact, without context, he just seems to be Metphies' puppet whereas without context, MV Ghidorah doesn't seem to be Charles Dance's character's puppet. OR, On the complete opposite end of the spectrum. you could have a good KG like my namesake. In that case don't change him at all from GMK cuz he seems perfect there. Just make him a little stronger and bigger so he still feels like King Ghidorah instead of a placeholder good Kaiju that can be replaced by anyone.

4: If you have her, Characterize Mothra well. Give her some backstory to show how she's always been a benevolent protector of humanity instead of just popping by to fight the bad guys. Show her benevolent and peaceful nature in her interactions with humans, be it in larva form or Imago. Also have her be a little more competent in a fight instead of just letting her fly around, maybe fire a couple of beams or something and die randomly later. Being queen of the monsters, she needs to shine in fights as well. You could also have her less prone to violence and have her try to communicate with other monsters to solve disputes. This is a unique side of Mothra not explored often but she's the one who originally persuaded Godzilla to join the side of good. Seeing her once again be the voice of reason for Kaijus would be heartwarming. It would also be sweet to keep the dynamic she had with her allies in GMK and KOTM.

5: Characterize the other Kaijus well. Kaijus should not just be used as plot devices or mere spectacles. They are the true stars of Kaiju movies IMO. Give all of them characterization that lets us identify them as potential characters as well instead of just relying on humans the entire time. They are not mere plot devices and should not be characterized as such. Strengthen the bond we have with these characters through interactions and history so that they serve as compelling characters instead of one scene wonders.

6: Have good human plots that don't detract from the monsters. If monsters and monster fighting is the bread of Godzilla, humans are the butter. If you don't have any good, compelling human drama and action to occupy our minds until the real stars appear, the movie ends up being dry bread. It doesn't have to be as amazing as 1954 Gojira but it still has to be good enough to carry us through the movie. GMK, Kong Skull Island Godzilla 1984 and other notable Godzilla movies manage to do so by not only having a good human story but, the most important part, HAVING THE HUMAN STORIES REVOLVE AROUND MONSTERS. GMK and 84 exemplified Godzilla as a threat throughout the human stories, having the human plots center around the monster(s). K:SI also had Kong and the other monsters be the center of the humans attention as they moved the plot forward in their search through the island. The heartfelt moments the "good humans" had with Kong is also something great that develops Kong and the humans as characters and intertwines them together.

7: Have good worldbuilding and continuity: The world of monsters is just as important as those that are in it. We know so much about our own world but it's boring as hell. But knowing about a world of monsters is exciting. The prophecies of guardian monsters and threats from GMK were pretty dang neat. And monsterverse, well, what is there to say? It was absolutely perfect! (And a huge shame that it might lead to nothing...) It's also important to have a sense of continuity and direction with the movies in a shared universe. The Heisei movies did this well with Godzilla himself changing throughout, Junior being introduced and growing up, The wreckage of MKG used for Super Mechagodzilla and the origins of Biollante and Spacegodzilla (though the "mix Goji DNA with whatever to get monster is kinda overused now) all being good examples of continuity.

Obviously not all of this is gonna come to fruition but this is basically my ideal Godzilla universe.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Rodan King of skies
Ronin

Post by Rodan King of skies »

New Rodan!!!!
Rodan future matewebmaster in exile in Postavymonsterverse!
https://66.media.tumblr.com/30416f8ad53 ... o1_500.gif
eight times the arrival of Rodan in Postavy.cz
SaraTron II. alive and exile
Lara Croft dead
Hokmuto alive and exile
MegaRatchet dead
Femuto dead
Blue2018 dead
Deidranna dead
Rodan alive a exile
in Postavymonsterverse

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Post Shin and KOTM, I think Toho will excel if they bring back the suits with modern techniques and provide a film with a good plot but good action.
From what I can gather from recent articles about Toho, it seems like they won't be doing away with suit acting anytime soon. They just need new people to pass on the techniques to.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/io9.gizmod ... 974298/amp
Rodan King of skies wrote:New Rodan!!!!
Me too, man. Rodan has a ton of untapped potential.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Post Shin and KOTM, I think Toho will excel if they bring back the suits with modern techniques and provide a film with a good plot but good action.
From what I can gather from recent articles about Toho, it seems like they won't be doing away with suit acting anytime soon. They just need new people to pass on the techniques to.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/io9.gizmod ... 974298/amp
Wowie, that is extremely exciting! I myself LOVE suitimation for tokusatsu. It's a style that really makes you appreciate the history of the art. Though one thing I would do is teensy smidgeons of CGi for the little things you can't do with suits like fine facial expressions or Rodan's barrel roll or stuff like that. But the brawling and wide shots of the main Kaiju done by suitimation is just ICONIC for Godzillla. Heck, Shin was CG'd to look like a suit and it ended up spectacular! Even in KOTM, Godzilla and Ghidorah looked like (extremely advanced) suits during the Antarctica standoff shot! If we get modernized suitimation Godzilla cinematic universe from Toho, I will be beyond happy.

Did anyone see this charming video? It really reinforces belief that Godzilla still works with suits:
https://www.facebook.com/cinemark/video ... 87672/?t=7
In fact, if you just adjust the arms and face to move easily, this very suit can technically be used for actual kaiju fighting!
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know I went over this already, but would it be asking too much of Toho to do a more traditional Godzilla after Japan gave us not one but two highly unusual takes on the character in a row?

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

LegendZilla wrote:I know I went over this already, but would it be asking too much of Toho to do a more traditional Godzilla after Japan gave us not one but two highly unusual takes on the character in a row?
Shin wasn't exactly unusual per se, more of a reimagining of the 1954 one. A grotesque mutation caused by the sins of humanity attacks and humans mostly fail to stop it till the very end.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GuardianGhido wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I know I went over this already, but would it be asking too much of Toho to do a more traditional Godzilla after Japan gave us not one but two highly unusual takes on the character in a row?
Shin wasn't exactly unusual per se, more of a reimagining of the 1954 one. A grotesque mutation caused by the sins of humanity attacks and humans mostly fail to stop it till the very end.
This is ironic.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Toho continuing to evolve Godzilla is primarily a reason why the franchise has continued to evolve and survive. They would be dumb (especially post KOTM) to suddenly become regressive. Shin is all over the marketing in Japan, hes plastered on this 65th Anniversary merch I got. While I dont think we will get a Shin sequel, it seems likely we haven`t seen the last of the Shin design. I can forsee a new Godzilla that is very similar to Shin (similar long tail, body structure and beam) but maybe tone down some of the craziness and give it longer arms. I
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Toho continuing to evolve Godzilla is primarily a reason why the franchise has continued to evolve and survive. They would be dumb (especially post KOTM) to suddenly become regressive. Shin is all over the marketing in Japan, hes plastered on this 65th Anniversary merch I got. While I dont think we will get a Shin sequel, it seems likely we haven`t seen the last of the Shin design. I can forsee a new Godzilla that is very similar to Shin (similar long tail, body structure and beam) but maybe tone down some of the craziness and give it longer arms. I
Depends on how they evolve him. I mean, in the past I asked why you people are okay with changes made to the Godzilla with stuff like GMK and Shin, but not GINO. Some guy said that it's because GINO tried to re-imagine the character by taking things away, but Shin and what not did it by adding things new to the character. I know I'm a little overdue for a response, but here it is : addition is not automatically better than subtraction.