Best Scene in KOTM

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What was the best scene in Godzilla: King of The Monsters?

Intro (2014 flashback)
No votes
Larval Mothra Awakens
No votes
Godzilla's Intimdation Display
No votes
Ghidorah's Resurgence
1%
Godzilla vs. Ghidorah 1
4%
Humanity is the Infection speech
1%
Rodan Rising/Fight with the jets
19%
Godzilla vs. Ghidorah 2 (Oxygen Destroyer)
No votes
Long Live The King 1 (Titans awaken)
3%
Imago Mothra awakens
6%
The Hollow Earth
No votes
Serizawa's Sacrifice
21%
Godzilla revived
1%
Godzilla vs Ghidorah 3/Rodan vs. Mothra
16%
Russel family reunited
No votes
Burning Godzilla vs. Ghidorah
16%
Long Live the King 2
10%
Other (please explain in comments)
1%

Total votes: 70

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Best Scene in KOTM

Post by BlankAccount »

Serizawa's sacrifice is the best. We started with a Serizawa sacrificing himself to kill a Godzilla, now years later we have one save a Godzilla in Not-Atlantis.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:Serizawa's sacrifice is the best. We started with a Serizawa sacrificing himself to kill a Godzilla, now years later we have one save a Godzilla in Not-Atlantis.
It could be Atlantis, technically.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Serizawa's sacrifice is the best. We started with a Serizawa sacrificing himself to kill a Godzilla, now years later we have one save a Godzilla in Not-Atlantis.
#NotMyTurtlesHome

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
#NotMyTurtlesHome
Maybe he's a next door neighbor?

Maybe Godzilla lived in a rival civilization to Gamera's Atlantis?

That'd be dope.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: It could be Atlantis, technically.
#NotMyTurtlesHome

That'd be dope.
GENIUS!

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
Arbok wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:Oh, so the magic fairy dust did it - literally. Fair enough I suppose.

I thought Mothra was just powering him up since he was pretty injured at that point. I guess she did both?
Mothra's sacrifice turned Ghidorah into a flying, gravity beam spewing King Ghidorah in 2001. Similar to this, Rodan's sacrifice super charged Godzilla in 1993. Neither went very explained.

That said, yes, probably would have been better if someone on the human side noticed a monitor and said Godzilla's radiation levels were coming under control or something to relate this.
The 90's were full of things that went unexplained, but the movies had an entirely different feel to them for me. There wasn't much realism or true science in the Heisei films, unlike much of the MonsterVerse thus far. In 2001, it was already well established that spiritual and magical forces were at hand, seeing that Godzilla is possessed, and the rest are actual deities. The MonsterVerse just had giant prehistoric creatures that were worshipped as gods. Not exactly the same thing.

I don't know, I remember someone saying that this was the most unbelievable part of the film. Someone walked out at this part. I felt the same way. I said this multiple times on the General discussion Spoiler thread, but I really think this scene could have been handed more carefully and artfully than it was.
Again, the blame lies with Dougherty here, for two reasons. First, the way the whole scene is filmed, it's not exactly obvious what is happening. Obviously some powdery stuff from Mothra revives Godzilla somehow, but how were we to know that this would also stop his nuclear meltdown from being a full-blown explosion? How were we to understand why her wing pattern would show up in the pulses? Second, this movie's tone is so drastically different from both G14 and K:SI that most people went in expecting some naturalistic, scientific explanations for this kind of thing, even if they were far from convincing. Granted, the last thing the movie needed was another cutaway to one of these bland characters watching from a monitor and saying "Ah, see, Mothra just did x!!!" But some kind of foreshadowing or something could have prepared us for this.

Instead, like much of the movie, it just happened, without us even having a clue what "it" was. Just more stuff happening on a screen that completely fails to envelop or immerse you in a cohesive creative vision.
Last edited by BARAGONBREH on Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
#NotMyTurtlesHome

That'd be dope.
GENIUS!
You'll be ecstatic to know Dougherty just did an interview and says he would love to see Gamera fight Godzilla if the rights could be worked out.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Maybe he's a next door neighbor?

That'd be dope.
GENIUS!
You'll be ecstatic to know Dougherty just did an interview and says he would love to see Gamera fight Godzilla if the rights could be worked out.
I remember Thomas Tull said the same thing. At this point I think Toho would be fine with it, Kong's rights owners would be indifferent. I think it's Gamera's current owners who might be the obstacle. They show a cool proof of concept trailer for Gamera's 50th birthday at Comic Con and then nothing. They seem to be keep the franchise on the shelf for now.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
GENIUS!
I remember Thomas Tull said the same thing. At this point I think Toho would be fine with it, Kong's rights owners would be indifferent. I think it's Gamera's current owners who might be the obstacle. They show a cool proof of concept trailer for Gamera's 50th birthday at Comic Con and then nothing. They seem to be keep the franchise on the shelf for now.
How is Daei still in business? Do they have big licenses? I'd have thought they would have sold the license or at least be willing to lease it off by now.

Especially seeing all the money Legendary is getting Toho.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: You'll be ecstatic to know Dougherty just did an interview and says he would love to see Gamera fight Godzilla if the rights could be worked out.
How is Daei still in business? Do they have big licenses? I'd have thought they would have sold the license or at least be willing to lease it off by now.

Daei went bankrupt and got bought up by Kadokawa.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

For me it's a toss between Mothra's emergence from the cocoon, and Godzilla revived. Mostly because they were the only moments with something resembling breathing room and the music got me good.

The lyrics weren't even there for Mothra's song and I heard them in my head. I may have been muttering them to myself without realizing because my friend asked me if I said something during that scene.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:

The corporation?? I guess we'll never see Gamera again then. They don't need one license when they have entire subsidiaries getting them money.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Favorite scene in KOTM? I hear that and immediately, 10 potential winners just popped into my head.

But if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be the entire sequence in Godzilla's lair. Exploring the lair, Serasawa's sacrifice, and Godzilla's return were all great stuff for me.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

My favorite scene is probably Rodan emerging and laying waste to the town in classic Rodan fashion. The only decent city destruction scene to come out of the MonsterVerse so far.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GojiDog wrote:Favorite scene in KOTM? I hear that and immediately, 10 potential winners just popped into my head.

But if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be the entire sequence in Godzilla's lair. Exploring the lair, Serasawa's sacrifice, and Godzilla's return were all great stuff for me.
Every scene was gorgeous so I completely agree lol

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:My favorite scene is probably Rodan emerging and laying waste to the town in classic Rodan fashion. The only decent city destruction scene to come out of the MonsterVerse so far.
The more I think about it, the more I think the same way. It really captures the spirit of Rodan and it's the only time we get up close and personal with a monster causing havoc in a populated area. There's some parts that come close, but I think this is the winner for me.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:My favorite scene is probably Rodan emerging and laying waste to the town in classic Rodan fashion. The only decent city destruction scene to come out of the MonsterVerse so far.
Yeah I didn't really think about it till I saw James' review where he said we needed more scenes of Godzilla and King Ghidorah actually smashing into buildings. The one shot we did get of that I love, where two of Ghidorah's heads are trapped and the third is trying to help only to see Godzilla in the windows and get smashed through.

It's so weird, they still sort of did the destruction happens off screen thing G2014 did but I didn't notice til that review. I think the few times we do see them destroy a building kind of tricked my mind. We needed more of Ghidorah either flying or walking around blasting random buildings himself and not making his storm or Rodan's super sonic do all the work. Actually Ghidorah should have been making shockwaves himself.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: How is Daei still in business? Do they have big licenses? I'd have thought they would have sold the license or at least be willing to lease it off by now.

The corporation?? I guess we'll never see Gamera again then. They don't need one license when they have entire subsidiaries getting them money.
Wait, why don’t you think we’ll see Gamera again?
Long Live The King

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh god...hard to choose. I LOVE Godzilla's intimidation display, Mothra's hatching, the bowing scene. It isn't on the list but Mothra beating Rodan was fantastic. Mothra crawling up onto Godzilla's back was adorable.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Hokmuto wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Wait, why don’t you think we’ll see Gamera again?
Idk tbh, I figure a big corporation with multiple smaller companies probably doesn't need a film license that is (maybe?) considered niche to stay afloat.