"Godzilla 3" - Looking into the next POSSIBLE solo Godzilla outing

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: "Godzilla 3" - Looking into the next POSSIBLE solo Godzilla outing

Post by _JNavs_ »

UltramanGoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:You do if you want the right to criticize it lol.
So now nobody can review anything unless they’re an expert in the field. You heard it here first.
It happens all the time, an average Joe won't get the same recognition an "official" "critic" would.

If I'm cooking a generally good meal, that has constant praise, and some random no name comes out the woodworks and says "This is the worst pile of skreeonk I've ever tasted" yet they never cooked a day in their life, I'd consider them to be invalid.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 25, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

So you can't criticize a film unless you're a filmmaker, or a book unless you're a writer? Or an idea if you're not... a person also capable of coming up with ideas? :?

UG's right, you really don't have to be a chef to recognize bad food. A better analogy would've been a chef making a dish and his customers don't like it, so he thinks "But it must be good, I made it! These commoners just have too bland of a palate to appreciate it!"
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:So you can't criticize a film unless you're a filmmaker, or a book unless you're a writer? Or an idea if you're not... a person also capable of coming up with ideas? :?

UG's right, you really don't have to be a chef to recognize bad food. A better analogy would've been a chef making a dish and his customers don't like it, so he thinks "But it must be good, I made it! These commoners just have too bland of a palate to appreciate it!"
I think it's just a matter of respect, that wasn't served up too generously. Purposefully rude-like.

I'm not a big fan of that.

If it was a genuine critique with a "well I don't agree with this, this is how I would've done it because" I would've respected his opinion. But instead he came into the thread like an elementary school bully while also critiquing the people behind the ideas demeaningly.

But you're right, everyone has the right to critique what they're not fans of, respectfully.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 25, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Pkmatrix wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Still don't like the idea of Gigan being a revived MUTO, I just feel like it takes something away from Gigan. Also because the male muto was very animalistic and plain in nature, while in contrast Gigan's always had a colorful evil vibe to him.
Well, my thinking is that this would be the most meaningful way to get Gigan to want to fight Godzilla. Every other time it wasn't really because Gigan wanted to or needed to, it was because he was ordered to by whichever alien invader he was currently working for. Plus, it gives him an actual backstory - something he's never really had. Yeah, the MUTO was more animalistic in his personality, but we can explain away his new personality and new more colorful behavior to being a result of both whatever process led to his creation combined with his personal grudge against Godzilla. :)
I appreciate that you eleborated on this idea, maybe there could be a compromise. Honestly, no matter what particular backstory, I would just have it where Gigan is ordered to defeat Godzilla, then goes haywire, and still wants to best Godzilla. A little sympathic since he originally wasn't wanting to kill Godzilla (or anything), but is now on the loose acting hostile towards creatures because of some human involvement. Now he's hooked on being sadistic or whatever. Kinda like how Titanosaurus was a peaceful creature that was dragged into a conflict he had no business being in.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

You guys want a genuine critique?

All these ideas sound like they were come up with by 12 year olds or found on a middleschooler’s Deviant-art. They stink!

I’d love to hear something more thought provoking or original instead of all these rehashed cliches.
Facts don't care about your feelings

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

What if Gabara
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Smuggers wrote:What if Gabara
Will he help the baby Godzilla kill his evil tyrant father???

This is top quality stuff yah know

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Honestly I'm glad no TK member will ever have their hands in a Godzilla movie
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Honestly I'm glad no TK member will ever have their hands in a Godzilla movie
Amen brother, amen.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Ben Shapiro wrote:
Smuggers wrote:What if Gabara
Will he help the baby Godzilla kill his evil tyrant father???

This is top quality stuff yah know
What a cliche Ben Shapiro, What a cliche.

Like I said, throwing things at a wall seeing what sticks with fellow forum members, isn't meant to be top quality.

But the snarky better-than-thou personality really gets tiring rather quickly.

I'd love to hear your intellectual thought provoking ideas. Maybe Serizawa and Godzilla untangle the Gordian Knot?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 25, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

For sure a topic about possibilities but I think these Hollywood Kaiju films simply cost too much for what they can make. A 200m film that makes 600m Worldwide is simply too tight. I feel Godzilla vs Kong is the ceiling for what any Kaiju film can make worldwide. YES I think the Monsterverse is finished after GvsKong.

Don’t get me wrong... I want it to continue more than anything. I just don’t see it. We’ll see but it might be time for Tohos universe soon.
Last edited by Cookson on Sat May 25, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'm torn to be honest anyways. One hand continuing would be potential for world building especially moving onto more mystical, sci-fi and alien routes but on the other hand ending it with GvK would be an example of quality over quantity as the Heisei Gamera Trilogy had shown us.

Poopyman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Poopyman »

How about an Alien invasion after Ghidorahs loss? MechaGodzilla could be an Alien weapon. Going back to his roots!
Last edited by Poopyman on Thu May 30, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Cookson wrote:For sure a topic about possibilities but I think these Hollywood Kaiju films simply cost too much for what they can make. A 200m film that makes 600m Worldwide is simply too tight. I feel Godzilla vs Kong is the ceiling for what any Kaiju film can make worldwide. YES I think the Monsterverse is finished after GvsKong.

Don’t get me wrong... I want it to continue more than anything. I just don’t see it. We’ll see but it might be time for Tohos universe soon.
Not to nitpick, but wasn't it just reported that KOTM actually only cost about $170 Million before P&A? That's actually less than what K:SI cost (not unbelievable, considering K:SI had to shell out more for bigger name stars). So the film making $600+ Million would actually make it a BIGGER success than K:SI was.

I disagree about the MonsterVerse being finished after GvK. I think even middling results would be enough for them to press forward, I honestly don't really believe this "Toho Universe" is ever going to happen.

Added in 2 hours 14 minutes 35 seconds:
After seeing it a second time, I'm thinking more and more that - unless it becomes a focus in GvK, which I suspect not - G3 will be revolving around humans weaponizing the Titans.

The concept is brought up early in KOTM when discussing why Jonah would want to capture a Titan: among the uses of Titan DNA is mentioned weaponizing. KOTM has already set this universe off down the path of superweapons (considering the Argo, the Orca, the Masers, etc.), so that's already foreshadowed. And I suspect that GvK, rather than following down the path of "What does Jonah's faction do with Ghidorah's DNA?" it'll instead look at the flipside to KOTM: instead of villains trying to hand the world to the Titans, you'll have villains trying to exterminate them.

If that's the case, where do you go AFTER that?

Well, IMO, since we'd have already covered people who support the Titans and oppose the Titans, what about focusing on villains who want to possess the Titans? It's a perfect set up to introduce man-made monsters, I think. If that's the case, it makes sense why Dougherty brought up Gigan and Biollante, as they both represents two ways about it (Gigan the result of cybernetics, Biollante the result of genetic engineering). And Gigan would be an interesting alternative to the more obvious Mechagodzilla or Mecha-King Ghidorah too.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Poopyman wrote:How about an Alien invasion after Ghidorahs loss? MechaGodzilla could be an Alien weapon. Going back to his roots!
If MG appears, it aint gonna be aliens who build him
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Poopyman wrote:How about an Alien invasion after Ghidorahs loss? MechaGodzilla could be an Alien weapon. Going back to his roots!
IMO, if we get Mechagodzilla he's either going to be manmade or kind of like a Transformer: a silicon-based lifeform that chooses to model itself after Godzilla because it recognizes Godzilla as the dominate lifeform on the planet. Personally, I find the latter a bit more likely.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
IMO, if we get Mechagodzilla he's either going to be manmade or kind of like a Transformer: a silicon-based lifeform that chooses to model itself after Godzilla because it recognizes Godzilla as the dominate lifeform on the planet. Personally, I find the latter a bit more likely.
I'd suggest the former going off of KOTM's credits, unless it's someone else working on Skull Island.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: If MG appears, it aint gonna be aliens who build him
I'd suggest the former going off of KOTM's credits, unless it's someone else working on Skull Island.
Like I said in the other thread, I'll need to see that for myself before I actually believe it's true. But presuming it is then, yeah, probably man-made. :)

Poopyman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Poopyman »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla and Terror of MechaGodzilla would like to speak to you.
Last edited by Poopyman on Fri May 31, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Poopyman wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla and Terror of MechaGodzilla would like to speak to you.
The end credits of KOTM beg to differ