Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Spuro
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by Spuro »

gottatalktothefake wrote:So far about 80% of r/movies has given KoTM a 7 or above. And these guys usually hate everything that gets a low critic score.
Huh. No kidding. This IS a surprise.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Smuggers wrote:
Floroskull wrote:JW was very soulless and felt more like "remember this!" KOTM felt like they understood the source material and built on it
Well, aside from that bit. You know, the part where it seemed like their understanding of the source material was from a book that they read upside down.
What bit?
Spoiler:
oxygen destroyer?
?
GO GO GOJI KUN

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:So far about 80% of r/movies has given KoTM a 7 or above. And these guys usually hate everything that gets a low critic score.
Huh. No kidding. This IS a surprise.
Go check out the Box office thread, people are LOVING this, the 90% RT score is very close to what IRL polls are getting.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
Floroskull wrote:JW was very soulless and felt more like "remember this!" KOTM felt like they understood the source material and built on it
Well, aside from that bit. You know, the part where it seemed like their understanding of the source material was from a book that they read upside down.
What bit?
Spoiler:
oxygen destroyer?
?
Yes. That bit.
Spoiler:
The ODINO. :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

okay, forget about my last post, me and some family members are going to see it the drive in theatre later on tonight!!! so excited!! :huge:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:
Smuggers wrote: Well, aside from that bit. You know, the part where it seemed like their understanding of the source material was from a book that they read upside down.
What bit?
Spoiler:
oxygen destroyer?
?
Yes. That bit.
Spoiler:
The ODINO. :P
So far that is the only instance where I agree the story really rushed something. *That* really REALLY needed proper setup instead of a ten second explaination lol
Last edited by Huan_of_Valinor on Fri May 31, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Charles Dance has given a brutally honest assessment of his latest film Godzilla: King of the Monsters (in cinemas now) in a hilarious and frank new interview with Guardian.

“I had difficulty staying awake,” the veteran thesp told the broadsheet when asked about his response to seeing the epic blockbuster, before quickly adding: “No, I didn’t say that! I mean, it’s spectacular.”

Added in 3 minutes 18 seconds:
3rd Update, Friday Midday: Warner Bros/Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters is biting off more than he was expected to chew, headed for a $60M-$65M weekend after a $24M Friday at 4,108 theaters that includes $6.3M in previews.

PostTrak exits last night for Godzilla and friends were fantastic with 4 1/2 stars from general audiences and 5 stars from both parents and kids under 12. General crowds gave the film a 75% definite recommend, parents an 80% and kids 88%. Caucasians were less than 50% of the crowd with very good turnout by Hispanic (24%) and Asian moviegoers (13%). West coast business is bound to be very good. Male heavy as expected at 70%, with leading demos being men over 25 (41%), men under 25 (29%), females over 25 (18%) and females under 25 (12%). Interestingly, females like the movie a little bit more than guys, 87% to 84%.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

goji89 wrote:Charles Dance has given a brutally honest assessment of his latest film Godzilla: King of the Monsters (in cinemas now) in a hilarious and frank new interview with Guardian.

“I had difficulty staying awake,” the veteran thesp told the broadsheet when asked about his response to seeing the epic blockbuster, before quickly adding: “No, I didn’t say that! I mean, it’s spectacular.”

3rd Update, Friday Midday: Warner Bros/Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters is biting off more than he was expected to chew, headed for a $60M-$65M weekend after a $24M Friday at 4,108 theaters that includes $6.3M in previews.

PostTrak exits last night for Godzilla and friends were fantastic with 4 1/2 stars from general audiences and 5 stars from both parents and kids under 12. General crowds gave the film a 75% definite recommend, parents an 80% and kids 88%. Caucasians were less than 50% of the crowd with very good turnout by Hispanic (24%) and Asian moviegoers (13%). West coast business is bound to be very good. Male heavy as expected at 70%, with leading demos being men over 25 (41%), men under 25 (29%), females over 25 (18%) and females under 25 (12%). Interestingly, females like the movie a little bit more than guys, 87% to 84%.
The ninja arrived a while ago
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I did my part in seeing it twice and spreading the good news far and wide.

Floroskull
Samurai

Post by Floroskull »

Yeah my mom actually really liked surprisingly, she said she was afraid it would be all monster fights. She liked the mom and daughter relationship

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Ok, now this is a Shyamalan level twist lmao. Out of all critic groups I expected the r/ "experts" to bash it the most. Looks like we might have a surprise hit after all lol.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but the amount of people this constitutes on /r/movies is actually quite small because it only amounts to people who have already seen the movie and cared enough to vote in the poll. It's currently at 860 votes which makes up about 6% of the 14,000 members currently online, 80% of the poll voters equating to 4.9% of people online. If we include the recommendation section of the poll, currently 499 are saying yes (with no caveats) which is 3.5%. If we compare the number of votes to a John Wick - a pretty successful recent release that's had some time to breathe, it comes out at almost 5x the amount of votes so far. Might be a little too soon to call it an anomaly because right now the takeaway from this for me is that only a proportionally small amount of them have seen the movie and that the majority of the votes could have yet to arrive, so it might be a while until we get something more definitive.

It's only Friday, we're still in the early early days of people seeing this movie. I just think that the people acting like the dust has settled one way or the other are jumping the gun a bit.
Last edited by Smuggers on Fri May 31, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Solaris667
Yojimbo

Post by Solaris667 »

KingKaiju wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
To be fair, they weren't wrong. Most of the reviews I see praise the film, anytime Godzilla and the kaiju were on screen, but beyond that it was very cringey.
Eh, the only thing that was "cringey" to me was the
Spoiler:
Oxygen Destroyer
and some of Whitford's lines. The rest was pretty standard kaiju movie stuff, no worse than Rampage or Jurassic World's plotting and characters. Certainly better than anything Skull Island did.

Saw the movie, loved the kaiju, but the humans needed some work.

So while it wasn't a GREAT film, I think there's a pretty fair degree of "wrongness" in a lot of those reviews.
Exactly, and Rampage and Jurassic World 2 were terrible. Everything involving the kaiju were excellent, beyond that... It just wasn't a very good movie.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Fri May 31, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote:
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but the amount of people this constitutes on /r/movies is actually quite small because it only amounts to people who have already seen the movie and cared enough to vote in the poll. It's currently at 860 votes which makes up about 6% of the 14,000 members currently online, 80% of the poll voters equating to 4.9% of people online. If we include the recommendation section of the poll, currently 499 are saying yes (with no caveats) which is 3.5%. If we compare the number of votes to a John Wick - a pretty successful recent release that's had some time to breathe, it comes out at almost 5x the amount of votes so far. Might be a little too soon to call it an anomaly because right now the takeaway from this for me is that only a proportionally small amount of them have seen the movie and that the majority of the votes could have yet to arrive, so it might be a while until we get something more definitive.

It's only Friday, we're still in the early early days of people seeing this movie. I just think that the people acting like the dust has settled one way or the other are jumping the gun a bit.
Get a job Smuggers.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Hey all, I know the movie's out now but please put spoilers in the tags or just discuss the movie in the spoiler thread so people who haven't seen it yet don't get spoiled.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

goji89 wrote:Get a job Smuggers.
If it makes you feel any better, I didn't actually work out those percentages myself. ;)
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GodzillavsZilla wrote:Hey all, I know the movie's out now but please put spoilers in the tags or just discuss the movie in the spoiler thread so people who haven't seen it yet don't get spoiled.
I know I said this to another mod, but you guys should give warnings for that instead of a slap on the wrist.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Tru Fans should have already seen this movie :P
Facts don't care about your feelings

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

At the theatre now with brother and friends! Super excited, just getting some food and drink and then headed in! Guys I’m so fucking pumped right now, I’ll leave a review when I get out! :mrgreen:
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote:
goji89 wrote:Get a job Smuggers.
If it makes you feel any better, I didn't actually work out those percentages myself. ;)

Ben Shapiro wrote:Tru Fans should have already seen this movie :P
Especially the Debbie downers criticizing the movie and saying how it sucks without having seen it.