The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So as you may know from the trailers, there are some monsters other then Godzilla. I don’t have names for them, but I suppose this thread can be a discussion thread for them, and we can just use official names/fan names as we come up with them. Because they only serve as cameos, I don’t think they each need their own threads.

Muto 2nd Generation:
Fair warning, I haven’t read Aftershock, but I’m going to assume this is a different one. So, this Muto appears to either be another Prime, or Sterile Female. It’s a quadruped, but has some spiky appendages/armor on its back. It’s unclear if this one had the same EMP powers the previous ones had. I’m really glad that it appeared, just because it was a nice callback.

Additionally a lot of footage, of the Mutos Is reused, and with this, in really happy that the Mutos got to appear again. While they’re not my favorite Kaiju/Titans, I’m really happy to see them appear again, and not just become one hit wonders like Gabara, Megalon or even Orga. Their minor role in this film, And their larger roles in Godzilla Aftershock and G14 really cement them as a part of the franchise. It’s also funny to me, that they’re now mooks. Reminds me of how in the showa series, Kumonga, Angurius, Rodan and many other monsters would just reappear despite being serious antagonists in the past films.

Not Kumonga/Mother Longlegs: It’s unclear, to me, if this is supposed to be Kumonga, a larger Mother Longlegs, a hybrid of both, or neither, or Kumonga In Appearanxe Only(KIAO). The scene with it rising out of the ground, is similar to its SOG sequence. It also has very similar spindly legs. However, I noticed in the hail to the king sequence, it has those mouth tentacles that Mother Long Legs had. Since this tries to connect to KSI a lot, might it either just be a full grown Mother Long Legs, or a hybrid?

Not Angurius:
Unclear because we really didn’t get any clear shots of it, and we can’t even tell if it had a carapace, but it was certainly a monster!

Big Mammoth Creature:
Possibly the coolest surprise of this film. Despite its simplicity, I thought it was a really unique design as mammalian Kaiju are very rare. I really hope we get to see more of it! Awesome!

I think it added a nice sense of originality to the film, as the other monsters were either callbacks to G14, Skull Island or maybe the showa Godzilla series. This was a cool original monster.

Kong: I’m not sure if he’s part of the destruction, but he is sortve in the film. I do like the build up during the end credits scene, I just wish we actually saw him.

2nd Egg
There’s a second egg shown in a newspaper clip in the end credits; hey while minor it means Mothra can come back!

Ghidorah’s Head/MKG
I just wanted to awknowledge this here, before down the line I make it’s own thread, but I’m pretty certain this will become MKG.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri May 31, 2019 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: The “OTHER” Monsters (Spoilers Ahead)

Post by GojiDog »

The Mammoth is my favorite of the new batch. Love that guy! lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Behemoth is the mammoth I believe. My friends and I immediately latched onto him haha. I want to see his adventures.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Ghidorah’s Head/MKG
I just wanted to awknowledge this here, before down the line I make it’s own thread, but I’m pretty certain this will become MKG.
I agree!

I think the thing everyone's missing, especially those who haven't seen the scene yet, is that the reveal in the post-credit scene is framed almost EXACTLY like the opening scene of GvMG'93 where the recovered head of Mecha-King Ghidorah is revealed. I very much think they're hinting at either a MKG or revived Ghidorah for the future.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

The Spider-like thing is supposed to be Scylla from Greek mythology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scylla

Its essentially a kraken, thats why it has tentacles on its mouth.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SG-17 wrote:The Spider-like thing is supposed to be Scylla from Greek mythology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scylla

Its essentially a kraken, thats why it has tentacles on its mouth.
Lame, but also okay. It still totally feels like a hybrid of Kumonga and the Mother Long Legs though. Still cool!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

God if they are using greek mythology in this, can we get a Cyclops and a Minotaur too?

If you're going to go crazy, go all out!

Kill all white men.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Behemoth and Scylla both have my seal of approval, at least in terms of having cool designs, since they didn't do anything, and I welcome them to the franchise with open arms.

And I, too, was very glad to see the new MUTO. I was really hoping we hadn't seen the last of those things, given that they were established as a species.

That second egg, though... we're clearly supposed to believe it's a new Mothra, and it's quite likely that it is, in fact, just that. But... has anyone else considered the possibility that it might be a baby Godzilla? What if G himself was to lose or otherwise die in GvK (unlikely, but possible), and then we get Junior to replace him, with Kong taking over as Alpha until Junior grows up?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

JAGzilla wrote:Behemoth and Scylla both have my seal of approval, at least in terms of having cool designs, since they didn't do anything, and I welcome them to the franchise with open arms.

And I, too, was very glad to see the new MUTO. I was really hoping we hadn't seen the last of those things, given that they were established as a species.

That second egg, though... we're clearly supposed to believe it's a new Mothra, and it's quite likely that it is, in fact, just that. But... has anyone else considered the possibility that it might be a baby Godzilla? What if G himself was to lose or otherwise die in GvK (unlikely, but possible), and then we get Junior to replace him, with Kong taking over as Alpha until Junior grows up?
I think it's a little soon to introduce Junior, and I personally would prefer to have a whole movie centered around that 'cause otherwise he'll feel like an after thought.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Pkmatrix wrote:
I think it's a little soon to introduce Junior, and I personally would prefer to have a whole movie centered around that 'cause otherwise he'll feel like an after thought.

Agreed on both counts, but if they're not continuing the Monsterverse past GvK, it'll be now or never for a Son of Godzilla. *shrug* We'll see, though. Personally, I wouldn't be too thrilled with the idea, but good execution could easily win me over.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Don't know if this counts, but there were some photos in the credits that alluded to Manda (or Not Manda, to go along with Not Anguilar). There's a picture of a bunch of guys holding what appears to be a huge eel, and then a drawing that looks like a sea serpent VERY close to Manda.

The egg, I'm almost certain, is a Mothra egg.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Loved the Mammoth design, it was simple but very cool in that simplicity. Mother Long legs or Scylla was a neat shout out to Kumonga, and the fact that it's a creature from Greek mythology makes me interested in the possibilities of other creatures from those myths.

The Ghidorah head almost took me by surprise but I remembered that one of them had been torn off in Mexico and had been unaccounted for. Glad that they found a way to subvert the American movie trope of killing off the villain so you can't use it anymore. My money is on a cloned Ghidorah in the future. He was so well characterised that killing him off would've been a massive waste.

EDIT: perhaps the head can regenerate? They did set that up so maybe?
Last edited by Huan_of_Valinor on Fri May 31, 2019 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

vibramrunner wrote:Don't know if this counts, but there were some photos in the credits that alluded to Manda (or Not Manda, to go along with Not Anguilar). There's a picture of a bunch of guys holding what appears to be a huge eel, and then a drawing that looks like a sea serpent VERY close to Manda.

I've been suspecting either Manda or something like Manda as well, just as I've been suspecting that Mu is going to be introduced in GvK.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

vibramrunner wrote:Don't know if this counts, but there were some photos in the credits that alluded to Manda (or Not Manda, to go along with Not Anguilar). There's a picture of a bunch of guys holding what appears to be a huge eel, and then a drawing that looks like a sea serpent VERY close to Manda.

Doesn’t surprise me. I half-expected Manda to appear in the underwater city scene. There’s no way that isn’t at least a semi reference to Toho’s Old Atlantis type films or even the seatopians.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

The first fanart of the new Titans has been uploaded!
https://www.deviantart.com/transapient/ ... -799781060
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri May 31, 2019 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:The first fanart of the new Titans has been uploaded!
Looks great, but why Is Rodan the centerfold!

Anyways, I just realized, wouldn’t it be funny if everyone starts including Behemoth in fantasy matches, and suddenly there’s a random slew of new members named BEHEMOTH1999, sorta similar to how people get randomly fixated on Manda/Varan(Behemoth does have more screen time then the latter in the franchise!)

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:The first fanart of the new Titans has been uploaded!
Looks great, but why Is Rodan the centerfold!

Anyways, I just realized, wouldn’t it be funny if everyone starts including Behemoth in fantasy matches, and suddenly there’s a random slew of new members named BEHEMOTH1999, sorta similar to how people get randomly fixated on Manda/Varan(Behemoth does have more screen time then the latter in the franchise!)
I've noticed already that Behemoth seems to have immediately become the breakout star of the new Titans, people are talking about him all over Tumblr and Twitter. :lol:

warman222
G-Force Personnel

Post by warman222 »

I think it's because Behemoth is the most unique. The others while good are still concepts we've seen before, spider like kaiju, mountainous/dinosaur like kaiju. For the most part in terms of mammals it's usually been apes and only very recently a wolf(in Rampage). Plus, while it only briefly appears it's well designed and you instantly want to know more about it. Also the name Behemoth is a good choice, very appropriate for it.

For maximum confusion, there is another Muto who may or may not be a subspecies or something. Good thing there's no mate for this guy(girl?) otherwise we'd have a 2014 film all over again. I personally wanna to call this guy Nuto, the name someone else sorta gave it in the spoilers thread.
Last edited by warman222 on Fri May 31, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

vibramrunner wrote: The egg, I'm almost certain, is a Mothra egg.

Yeah, it could be a Mothra egg...or a Battra egg!

BUM BUM BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!

Kill all white men.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

warman222 wrote:I think it's because Behemoth is the most unique. The others while good are still concepts we've seen before, spider like kaiju, mountainous/dinosaur like kaiju. For the most part in terms of mammals it's usually been apes and only very recently a wolf(in Rampage). Plus, while it only briefly appears it's well designed and you instantly want to know more about it. Also the name Behemoth is a good choice, very appropriate for it.

For maximum confusion, there is another Muto who may or may not be a subspecies or something. Good thing there's no mate for this guy(girl?) otherwise we'd have a 2014 film all over again. I personally wanna to call this guy Nuto, the name someone else sorta gave it in the spoilers thread.
Agreed about Behemoth, except I find his name slightly generic. When we gonna get members like,”SCOOTABEHEMOTH” tho?

For the third/fourth Muto, it’s fine either way if it’s a subspecies or just another one. It’s clear at the end Godzilla is in charge and everyone will obey him. I seriously do like how the Mutos are openly shown and not just forgotten about.

GojiDog wrote:
vibramrunner wrote: The egg, I'm almost certain, is a Mothra egg.

Yeah, it could be a Mothra egg...or a Battra egg!

BUM BUM BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!
I’ll admit I thought that too, but now it feels like we are getting excessive. Battra tbh doesn’t feel like the caliber of monster to really reference. Mothra egg works better just because it’s sort of sad if Mothra just died in the film. This and the Mutos reminded me of the showa era how monsters could reappear which was fun.