Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Post by KillCrites »

I watched an ETN video one time and all I remember from it is him saying that KOTM COULD NOT have a dark ending because Mike Dougherty is a liberal.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

KillCrites wrote:I watched an ETN video one time and all I remember from it is him saying that KOTM COULD NOT have a dark ending because Mike Dougherty is a liberal.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

KillCrites wrote:I watched an ETN video one time and all I remember from it is him saying that KOTM COULD NOT have a dark ending because Mike Dougherty is a liberal.
What the fuck

I can't believe I liked this guy 5 years ago.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The ReviewTechUSA of the kaiju fanbase...
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:The ReviewTechUSA of the kaiju fanbase...
Nobody can convince me that they're *not* the same guy. Some Les Enfants Terribles shit.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote: Haven't watched this guy since back in 14'. When did he get that annoying "hot girl" intro anyways? Also, he gave a shoutout to Quartering, which is, well, yikes.
Who's Quartering and why is that a yikes? Some cringey alt-right channel?
Pretty much, some of what he says is true, such as RT making drastic changes to protect a single movie, and the fact that critics fluff their reviews depending on the studio. But he also pushes inane conspiracy theories such as "Disney is buying most of the tickets for Captain Marvel to artificially inflate their Box office records".
Wasnt he the guy who went all conspiracy-nut and was shrieking "YouTube is deleting any and all videos that criticize Brie Larson!"...on his public videos that criticize Brie Larson? Which weren't deleted?
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GojiDog wrote: For example, the whole argument that the movie showcases the monsters and has weak characters...um...aren't the monsters characters in and of themselves? Maybe this comes with being fans of these creatures like we have been most of our lives, but I have a hard time saying that this film had weak characters when it gave me a hero that I loved (Godzilla), a villain that was legitimately intimidating and imposing (Ghidorah), and gave personalities to Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan. Just because they aren't human and they don't talk like we do doesn't mean they aren't characters in the story. Hell, I might like the Transformers movies more if they centered the stories on Optimus Prime instead of Shia LeBouf and Marky Mark.
Americans are conditioned from years of shitty b-movies that monsters exist purely for the big hero to shoot and kill. They cannot understand the concept of a creature like Godzilla to have it's own individual identity and personality. It's what separates kaiju from giant monsters, honestly.

The only exception to this rule (at least from a purely American-made standpoint, i.e ones that don't have influence from Japanese films) is King Kong and that is purely because of two things:

a.) Historical significance
and
b.) He's an ape, the closest thing to a human

Any other giant monster or creature, that is, something that isn't portrayed by a recognizable human actor or is human-sized? It's a special effect and nothing more. It's quite pathetic and sad, really.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Who's Quartering and why is that a yikes? Some cringey alt-right channel?
Pretty much, some of what he says is true, such as RT making drastic changes to protect a single movie, and the fact that critics fluff their reviews depending on the studio. But he also pushes inane conspiracy theories such as "Disney is buying most of the tickets for Captain Marvel to artificially inflate their Box office records".
To be fair, I tend to watch him now and then, and he's honestly like any other Youtuber. He will have opinions that not everyone will agree with. Disney buying CM tickets? I feel that is a bit too extreme because Disney is too big of a franchise to really care about how their products are doing (Anyways, that how I feel about it).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Wasnt he the guy who went all conspiracy-nut and was shrieking "YouTube is deleting any and all videos that criticize Brie Larson!"...on his public videos that criticize Brie Larson? Which weren't deleted?
Again, most of these statements were meant as jokes. The only times I can think of Youtube removing his videos were for his initial reactions of the Sonic trailer and Mortal Kombat 11.......
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

UltramanGoji wrote:
GojiDog wrote: For example, the whole argument that the movie showcases the monsters and has weak characters...um...aren't the monsters characters in and of themselves? Maybe this comes with being fans of these creatures like we have been most of our lives, but I have a hard time saying that this film had weak characters when it gave me a hero that I loved (Godzilla), a villain that was legitimately intimidating and imposing (Ghidorah), and gave personalities to Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan. Just because they aren't human and they don't talk like we do doesn't mean they aren't characters in the story. Hell, I might like the Transformers movies more if they centered the stories on Optimus Prime instead of Shia LeBouf and Marky Mark.
Americans are conditioned from years of shitty b-movies that monsters exist purely for the big hero to shoot and kill. They cannot understand the concept of a creature like Godzilla to have it's own individual identity and personality. It's what separates kaiju from giant monsters, honestly.

The only exception to this rule (at least from a purely American-made standpoint, i.e ones that don't have influence from Japanese films) is King Kong and that is purely because of two things:

a.) Historical significance
and
b.) He's an ape, the closest thing to a human

Any other giant monster or creature, that is, something that isn't portrayed by a recognizable human actor or is human-sized? It's a special effect and nothing more. It's quite pathetic and sad, really.
That and it's possible (I said possible, not a fact) that there's a bit of "he's our monster" bias with King Kong. Some people not familer with the series probably thinks Godzilla dies at the end of every film, I remember a few years ago someone on TK saying they were playing a triva game and the question was which movie character had the most films. One of the players said James Bond (close) and when told the answer was Godzilla with (at the time) 22 films her response was "wow I didn't know you could kill a giant lizard that many times."

Also I wouldn't say every U.S. Giant Monster B-Movie is shitty, that's the same mentality as every Japan Godzilla movie sucks. THEM!, It Came from Beneath the Sea, Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, 20 Million Miles to Earth and The Black Scorpion are pretty good. And 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is pretty damn impressive for a 1954 film, I thought it came from a later decade.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:This video helps ease some pain.
Given that Rotten Tomatoes has Godzilla vs. Destoroyah with a 100% whereas the original Gojira is at 93% shows the site shouldn't be taken seriously anyways.
Yeah because there's probably like, what, 4 reviews of Destoroyah and nobody other than a Godzilla fan is going to bother posting a review for RT?
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:This video helps ease some pain.
Given that Rotten Tomatoes has Godzilla vs. Destoroyah with a 100% whereas the original Gojira is at 93% shows the site shouldn't be taken seriously anyways.
Yeah because there's probably like, what, 4 reviews of Destoroyah and nobody other than a Godzilla fan is going to bother posting a review for RT?
This is basically the same for any older movie. RT is only useful (I use that term lightly) for movies being released now. Stuff from the 90s and earlier requires fans to go back and review it, which isn't going to happen *nearly* as often as a critic/modern viewer reviewing the next big film.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Thing giving me flashbacks to 1985 is critics saying it's not campy enough and to serious.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

G2000 wrote:Richard Roeper hates it, unfortunately, in part because he finds it "too serious"

i'm sick and tired of being ninja'd
He compared the darkness to the battle of WF..... which I had a huge problem with.... oh god I hope I don’t agree with him I’m scared now

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Troyal1 wrote:
G2000 wrote:Richard Roeper hates it, unfortunately, in part because he finds it "too serious"

i'm sick and tired of being ninja'd
He compared the darkness to the battle of WF..... which I had a huge problem with.... oh god I hope I don’t agree with him I’m scared now
Having watched both, I can say that yes, while the major battles on G:KOTM take place in the dark, I could make out everything that was happening, unlike The Long Night.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

You know something? I find it very much a double standard that many of these critics are ripping this movie for being too cheesy and not being serious enough yet the last 4 F&F movies have a fresh rating even though they are FAR more cheesy and schlocky.

If that's not hypocrisy, then tell me what is.

jrock
GPN Volunteer

Post by jrock »

I like how Imdb breaks down their reviews. Gives Godzilla KOTM 7.6/10 based on over 3K reviews already.

10/10-30.4%-923 votes

9/10-10.8%-327 votes

8/10-16.7%-508 votes

7/10-14.9%-451 votes

6/10-11.2%-339 votes

5/10-6.3%-190 votes

less than 5/10-11.6%

Added in 2 minutes 1 second:
I see no reason why Rotten Tomotoes Audience score won't be similar. I still think were okay here guys.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Critics just have a bias against monster movies. Simple as that.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be a critics vs audience movie, like a reverse TLJ
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Gothicserpent wrote:Critics just have a bias against monster movies. Simple as that.
Is that why G14 and K:SI got a 75% and Pacific Rimjob got a 72%?
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

jrock wrote:I like how Imdb breaks down their reviews. Gives Godzilla KOTM 7.6/10 based on over 3K reviews already.

10/10-30.4%-923 votes

9/10-10.8%-327 votes

8/10-16.7%-508 votes

7/10-14.9%-451 votes

6/10-11.2%-339 votes

5/10-6.3%-190 votes

less than 5/10-11.6%

Added in 2 minutes 1 second:
I see no reason why Rotten Tomotoes Audience score won't be similar. I still think were okay here guys.
This is awesome. No wonder Baragonbreh ignored it. Goes against the doom.

RT needs to include the rest of those positive reviews asap.