Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Post by G2000 »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:I enjoy listening to Kevin Smith' podcast, he's very entertaining. I want to know what he thinks since he is not an uninformed professional critic who is speaking from a filmmaker's perspective who understand's niche genres. Not sure if the sarcastic response was justified.
I don't think Rodan95 was being sarcastic, just stating filmmakers who he would like to get reactions from (several of whom are documented Godzilla fans). My now-deleted response was intended to be derogatory toward Kevin Smith, yeah, but Rodan95 comes off as fairly earnest
Last edited by G2000 on Wed May 29, 2019 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

G2000 wrote:
AtomicMorningBreath wrote:I enjoy listening to Kevin Smith' podcast, he's very entertaining. I want to know what he thinks since he is not an uninformed professional critic who is speaking from a filmmaker's perspective who understand's niche genres. Not sure if the sarcastic response was justified.
I don't think Rodan95 was being sarcastic, just stating filmmakers who he would like to get reactions from (several of whom are documented Godzilla fans). My now-deleted response was intended to be derogatory toward Kevin Smith, yeah, but Rodan95 comes off as fairly earnest
I don't think I even saw your post. No biggie.

One thing I've noticed, on a lot of the big YouTuber reviews: Stuckmann, Jahns, Fandom, although their reviews are kind of "meh" the majority of the comments are along the lines of "so you're saying a lot of monster fights? Great! Count me in!"
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I recall the New York Post was insisting that there weren't enough monsters for whatever reason

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Well guys...we are at 46 with 74 reviews. Looks like we are probably stuck in the rotten zone.
Last edited by JesstrK on Wed May 29, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JesstrK wrote:Well guys...we are at 46 with 74 reviews. Looks like we are probably stuck in the rotten zone.
Looks like the critics are stuck in the rotten zone. Which they tend to be.

Us, the audience, will likely be stuck in the fresh zone as of this weekend,
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Looks like we're in for a polarized reception assuming the audience score is fresh.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

G2000 wrote:
No you're fine I'll just thinking about the other filmmakers and what they might think of the movie. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just trying to idealize. But I would like to hear about Kevin Smith's thoughts about the movie too. I think is a very fair critic... Plus I love his movies :)

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

I'm interested in John Campea, Grace Randolph, and Kevin McCarthy
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

neo kaijubait
Samurai

Post by neo kaijubait »

Richard Roeper liked G'14 and didn't like this, that's somewhat disappointing...

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

neo kaijubait wrote:Richard Roeper liked G'14 and didn't like this, that's somewhat disappointing...
And his criticisms align with that of most of the other negative critics, lending yet more credence to the complaints.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Richard Roeper hates it, unfortunately, in part because he finds it "too serious"

i'm sick and tired of being ninja'd
Last edited by G2000 on Wed May 29, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

G2000 wrote:Richard Roeper hates it, unfortunately, in part because he finds it "too serious"

i'm sick and tired of being ninja'd
Some find it too serious, some find it too ridiculous, which points to me thinking this critic probably got it right:
I think this movie has a bit of an identity crisis... You don't know if they're trying to be a cheesy, 1990s action movie or if they're trying to elevate the genre and take it more seriously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igkWxr9ybnE
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GojiDog wrote:I don't like to turn things into an "Us Vs. Them" fight. Politics, religion, video games, comics, movies and TV shows...it feels like everything turns into a gigantic group shouting match of South Park "Rabble Rabble Rabble" level proportions.

So I don't necessarily want to turn my nose at all critics, flip them off, or shout them down. They have a job. They get paid to give their thoughts and review movies, and their tastes might not be the same as mine. Sometimes I agree with the consensus (Planet of the Apes Caesar trilogy), sometimes I don't (Rambo 08).

They didn't like Godzilla? Hey that's fine. Doesn't change my opinion of the movie at all.

BUT, I am more than willing to politely response to the criticisms.

For example, the whole argument that the movie showcases the monsters and has weak characters...um...aren't the monsters characters in and of themselves? Maybe this comes with being fans of these creatures like we have been most of our lives, but I have a hard time saying that this film had weak characters when it gave me a hero that I loved (Godzilla), a villain that was legitimately intimidating and imposing (Ghidorah), and gave personalities to Godzilla, Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan. Just because they aren't human and they don't talk like we do doesn't mean they aren't characters in the story. Hell, I might like the Transformers movies more if they centered the stories on Optimus Prime instead of Shia LeBouf and Marky Mark.
Adding to this:

1: There's a double standard for sure, as they seem to remember King Kong is a character and treat him as such. Not sure if it's cause he's an ape which makes him easier to relate to as he has more human traits or a western bias since he's "our" monster.

2: Human characters are needed to tell a story since monsters can't talk, monsters are needed to even have a story.

3: Not to pick on Transformers fans, but at least in these movies I can tell the monsters apart from one another.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Wed May 29, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

This video helps ease some pain.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LegendZilla wrote:This video helps ease some pain.
Given that Rotten Tomatoes has Godzilla vs. Destoroyah with a 100% whereas the original Gojira is at 93% shows the site shouldn't be taken seriously anyways.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Haven't watched this guy since back in 14'. When did he get that annoying "hot girl" intro anyways? Also, he gave a shoutout to Quartering, which is, well, yikes.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

gottatalktothefake wrote:

[youtube]
Haven't watched this guy since back in 14'. When did he get that annoying "hot girl" intro anyways? Also, he gave a shoutout to Quartering, which is, well, yikes.
Who's Quartering and why is that a yikes? Some cringey alt-right channel?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

[youtube]
Pretty much, some of what he says is true, such as RT making drastic changes to protect a single movie, and the fact that critics fluff their reviews depending on the studio. But he also pushes inane conspiracy theories such as "Disney is buying most of the tickets for Captain Marvel to artificially inflate their Box office records".
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote: Haven't watched this guy since back in 14'. When did he get that annoying "hot girl" intro anyways? Also, he gave a shoutout to Quartering, which is, well, yikes.
Pretty much, some of what he says is true, such as RT making drastic changes to protect a single movie, and the fact that critics fluff their reviews depending on the studio. But he also pushes inane conspiracy theories such as "Disney is buying most of the tickets for Captain Marvel to artificially inflate their Box office records".
Ah, so basically what Gfan90's has said? Alright, yeah, definitely won't be trusting them lol
Long Live The King

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

ETN was that goofy channel that ran with that “Talaghan” leak back in 2014 for click value, he’s the last person anyone should be listening to.
Facts don't care about your feelings