ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Gothicserpent wrote:I just wish the transformations were shorter.
Same. Seems the more influence Bandai gets, the longer the transformations are. Which is weird, because the Rider transformations are still relatively short, and often combined on top of each other with multiple Riders.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I finally started the anime today. Got through the first 4 episodes and they were all right. There are some cool ideas and concepts, but some stuff is moving way too slowly for my taste. I also don't like how Ide is now super serious when he was supposed to be the comedic character. The other issue is good god is the animation horrible. Sometimes it looks like they are moving in slow motion and the CGI on the faces is horrendous. Not to mention there same 3 animation models keep appearing as background characters, especially the girl in the red hoodie.

That aside, I am curious to see where this story is headed. I do hope an opening theme starts up soon because right now it's kind of wrong not having one of those. It doesn't help that there is no ending theme either, so everything comes across feeling so generic in that regard.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

There is an ending theme though.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Darth Kiryu wrote:There is an ending theme though.
Not really. It's just generic music. I meant a real ending theme like every anime ever has.

Added in 1 day 4 hours 47 minutes 7 seconds:
Finished it, not bad in the last four episodes, pretty cool actually. I was expecting the Zettonian dude to be revealed as a spy/traitor at the end of the season, but I guess that will end up being next season or something. Either way, that dude is totally behind the assassinations as he even set Ace up.

Oh yeah, I'm a little confused on the character's ages. Rena was born during Ultraman's tenure on Earth, Shinjiro was a year or two after. How is Rena in high school still since she would have to be 20?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
Darth Kiryu wrote:There is an ending theme though.
Not really. It's just generic music. I meant a real ending theme like every anime ever has.

Added in 1 day 4 hours 47 minutes 7 seconds:
Finished it, not bad in the last four episodes, pretty cool actually. I was expecting the Zettonian dude to be revealed as a spy/traitor at the end of the season, but I guess that will end up being next season or something. Either way, that dude is totally behind the assassinations as he even set Ace up.

Oh yeah, I'm a little confused on the character's ages. Rena was born during Ultraman's tenure on Earth, Shinjiro was a year or two after. How is Rena in high school still since she would have to be 20?
Got held back a couple grades?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

I just finished watching Netflix Ultraman and feel largely satisfied with what I saw. Having never read the manga, I found the story to be pretty compelling to see unfold (especially Pigmon/Igaru’s arc) and the action felt stellar throughout. But what I love most about it is that while it has the aesthetic signs of a mature & gritty reboot of Ultraman, it builds on the franchise’s quirk of humanizing monsters and aliens, making the modern reworkings of classic characters far more enjoyable to watch than I thought they would. It’s a subtle yet endearing trait that makes the Ultra Series stand out for me and the production team turned it into this show’s strength

All in all, I absolutely dug the Netflix series. Scratch that. TsuPro should just throw away any plans to make an American Ultraman series and just go full steam ahead with this. I had my doubts when the news broke, but I have officially been proven wrong.
Last edited by Millenial88 on Fri May 17, 2019 10:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

BTW, I loved DC Douglas' voice for the Zettonian dude.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:BTW, I loved DC Douglas' voice for the Zettonian dude.
Absolutely! Along with Steve Blum as Adad.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Valky!

That's what I took away from all that.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Started Neo Ultra Q today. Pretty solid show so far. Surprisingly dark and dramatic for a Tsuburaya production.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Breezed through the anime in about 2-3 days. Overall, I like that it is a sequel to the original series, which I am most familiar with. I liked that they incorporated classic kaiju and seijin like Baltan and Black King (found it funny that he was complaining how an Ultraman killed his cousin years ago). I liked Seven's characterization in this series as it reminded me a lot of how Seven was portrayed in Ultraman Leo. I appreciate that they respect the franchise while bringing new ideas to the table.

I also finished Ultra-Q a few months ago. I can't remember too many particulars, but I found it interesting that it had a Twilight Zone vibe. I think Ultraman is the superior show, but I respect Ultra-Q for laying the foundation for this franchise. It really serves as a bridge between Godzilla and Ultraman.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

See, I hate Seven in Leo, so I don't care for Seven in this series.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:See, I hate Seven in Leo, so I don't care for Seven in this series.
I didn't like Seven in Leo for the most part too. It wasn't till the end of his character arc that I began to appreciate his character more. I haven't watched all of Ultraseven yetN but it definitely isn't like his Leo character as far as I remember.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

So, watching the original Ultraman and finished Cosmos has gotten me a bit hyped for the new series. Still glad Gymaira from 80 is making a long awaited return, but what other handful of older kaiju do you hope to see revived? It seems each series really isn't doing too many, but I do have a short wishlist...

1. Geronimon - from the OG series, why he hasn't made a comeback yet is beyond me.
2. Red & Black Gillas - The bros from the first episodes of Leo.
3. A Jonias kaiju - With this series featuring an Ultra from Jonias' homeworld, it would seem appropriate to revive one of the monsters in live action form... maybe with a cameo from Jonias himself?
4. A Cosmos kaiju - After finishing the series, I really want to see one return. Preferably someone like Bolgils or Ridorias, both of whom have suits still laying around.
5. Gabura - From Ultraseven
6. Gabora - From Ultraman

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

MM Raids Again wrote:So, watching the original Ultraman and finished Cosmos has gotten me a bit hyped for the new series. Still glad Gymaira from 80 is making a long awaited return, but what other handful of older kaiju do you hope to see revived? It seems each series really isn't doing too many, but I do have a short wishlist...

1. Geronimon - from the OG series, why he hasn't made a comeback yet is beyond me.
3. A Jonias kaiju - With this series featuring an Ultra from Jonias' homeworld, it would seem appropriate to revive one of the monsters in live action form... maybe with a cameo from Jonias himself?
4. A Cosmos kaiju - After finishing the series, I really want to see one return. Preferably someone like Bolgils or Ridorias, both of whom have suits still laying around.
It would be interesting to see a Jonias kaiju be brought to life with suitimation. May I suggest Magudata?

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

MM Raids Again wrote:So, watching the original Ultraman and finished Cosmos has gotten me a bit hyped for the new series. Still glad Gymaira from 80 is making a long awaited return, but what other handful of older kaiju do you hope to see revived? It seems each series really isn't doing too many, but I do have a short wishlist...

Oh Geronimon's an easy one. He fucking died.
Gillas, it's said Planet Magma is literally FILLED with Gillas, not just black and red ones either. So they could come back.
... Lidorias and Bolgils did appear recently.
Gabura I agree on.
Gabora WAS slated to appear in one of the recent series, I think it was X, but they decided to keep the suit Magura.

Who I want to come back is Gorgos, the rock monster from Ultra Q.
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Besides the original series which I know is on DVD at least if not blu-ray, are there any other Ultraman series on disk for America that you would suggest checking out?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Vakanai wrote:Besides the original series which I know is on DVD at least if not blu-ray, are there any other Ultraman series on disk for America that you would suggest checking out?
Seven. If you can find it for a good price, there's also Tiga. Otherwise, that's it. Ultraman is seriously depraved in the US.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Ultraman is seriously depraved in the US.
Yes, anytime Ultraman crosses the Pacific to arrive on these shores, he abandons all morality.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.