Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
indieskywalker
Ronin

Re: Godzilla ² General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by indieskywalker »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
indieskywalker wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: Lots of monster action but it's just fast paced so if you can keep up with it you'll enjoy it
What do you mean by fast paced though? Can you give a similar movie as an example? Like Kong Skull Island?
First Tranformers movie. 1 min of fight scene, next min of humans running from the carnage and next min of human still running while fight happens in background.
I watched some clips of transformers to get an idea. I’ll be fine with that kind of cutting away AS LONG AS there are at least SOME lengthy battles that have the camera stay on the monsters for long periods of time. Is this in KOTM?

Added in 16 minutes 3 seconds:
And is the film just as messy as transformers?

I really wanted a Godzilla movie with pacific rim levels of Kaiju action.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

When Godzilla arrives in Antarctica, is this specific moment from "Old Rivals" the song that plays? 0:39

Last edited by Moogabunga on Sun May 26, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Moogabunga wrote:When Godzilla arrives in Antarctica, is this specific moment from "Old Rivals" the song that plays? 0:39

When he bursts out of the ice yeah

Added in 3 minutes 20 seconds:
indieskywalker wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
indieskywalker wrote:
What do you mean by fast paced though? Can you give a similar movie as an example? Like Kong Skull Island?
First Tranformers movie. 1 min of fight scene, next min of humans running from the carnage and next min of human still running while fight happens in background.
I watched some clips of transformers to get an idea. I’ll be fine with that kind of cutting away AS LONG AS there are at least SOME lengthy battles that have the camera stay on the monsters for long periods of time. Is this in KOTM?

The second half of the battle has lengthier scenes and not really the plot is simple if that's what you mean
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

indieskywalker
Ronin

Post by indieskywalker »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:When Godzilla arrives in Antarctica, is this specific moment from "Old Rivals" the song that plays? 0:39

indieskywalker wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: First Tranformers movie. 1 min of fight scene, next min of humans running from the carnage and next min of human still running while fight happens in background.

The second half of the battle has lengthier scenes and not really the plot is simple if that's what you mean
Are you responding to my comment about the movie being messy?

Yeah what I mean is that is that are the battles crammed like the transformers movies, where you just don’t know what’s going on, and you have like 15 characters doing different things at the same time.

Basically is it Michael bay like? I’m fine with cutting away for brief periods as long as it doesn’t feel messy and unsatisfying.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

indieskywalker wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:

indieskywalker wrote:

Are you responding to my comment about the movie being messy?

Yeah what I mean is that is that are the battles crammed like the transformers movies, where you just don’t know what’s going on, and you have like 15 characters doing different things at the same time.

Basically is it Michael bay like? I’m fine with cutting away for brief periods as long as it doesn’t feel messy and unsatisfying.
Yes it's simple just fast
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Ben Shapiro wrote:Does Mothra use her GodRays as a weapon during any scenes?
I asked this earlier and apparently no she doesn’t. Her god rays are pretty much just spotlights. She uses them to tell the humans were Godzilla is after the Mexico battle. They never mention her using them to defend herself in battle.
Last edited by Monster X on Sun May 26, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I admit it would have been neat to see her use the god rays to startle and blind either Ghidorah or Rodan for a moment, but i'm honestly cool with her apperantely being an angry Moth-Wasp-Mantis thing during fights lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun May 26, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

I’ve truly begun to to appreciate the irony of Ghidorah in this film. They unleashed him hope he would bring balance to the world, when in reality he going terraform it to suit himself. He going to do do the very thing they hoped to prevent but on a far grander and more terrible scale.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Yeah. He basically turns out to be the anti-thesis to everything Vera and the other eco-terrorists hoped to achieve and it's glorious. Gotta love cruel irony like this.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

But they were right about the rest of the Titans. Did they wake up on their own or does Ghidorah wake them up? If it’s the latter, then arguably waking up Ghidorah was a net positive.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

LockBite wrote:But they were right about the rest of the Titans. Did they wake up on their own or does Ghidorah wake them up? If it’s the latter, then arguably waking up Ghidorah was a net positive.
Uh yeah, but if Ghidorah wasn't killed he would have manipulated the Titans to his own will to help him with his terraforming goals.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

LockBite wrote:But they were right about the rest of the Titans. Did they wake up on their own or does Ghidorah wake them up? If it’s the latter, then arguably waking up Ghidorah was a net positive.
From what I’ve read Ghidorah is the one to wake them and yes that turned out to be a good thing. But only after Ghidorah is beaten. Also we don’t know the full after affects of this event. Apparently Skull Island’s storm is now gone, meaning it’s eco-system can now spread beyond Kong’s control. There are possibly other long term issues that can arise. Plus if the post credit scene is anything to go by some people have yet to learn their lessons.

Added in 8 minutes 43 seconds:
On that note, Ghidorah isn’t actually a titan is he? He was only called that because they thought he was one of them. Hell he can’t ever be call a massive unidentified terrestrial organism.

He is... ALIEN.
Last edited by Monster X on Sun May 26, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Monster X wrote: Ghidorah isn’t actually a titan is he? He was only called that because they thought he was one of them. Hell he can’t ever be call a massive unidentified terrestrial organism.

He is... ALIEN.
Ghidorah is a MUEO

warman222
G-Force Personnel

Post by warman222 »

Massive Unidentified Extraterrestrial Organism? But, by this point MUTOs have basically become a name for the species that fought Godzilla in the 2014 film. Hence the Titan moniker coming about. I don't think that an earthly origin is part of the criteria is it? My theory is the term MUTO was the "old" term til at least K:SI, and finally fizzling out by the 2014 film since by then, most of these giant monsters were given names. It's kinda like how scientific terms and definitions change as time goes on and more info is found.
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Triple nope-rope from outer space
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun May 26, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Dv-218 wrote:
Uh yeah, but if Ghidorah wasn't killed he would have manipulated the Titans to his own will to help him with his terraforming goals.
That’s extremely disappointing :| . They should’ve had the Titans start waking up randomly and then Ghidorah makes them evil. Otherwise it’s arguably a good thing that Emma broke out Ghidorah.

Seems like the only moral takeaway from this movie is that you don’t fuck with Godzilla :?

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

warman222 wrote:Massive Unidentified Extraterrestrial Organism? But, by this point MUTOs have basically become a name for the species that fought Godzilla in the 2014 film. Hence the Titan moniker coming about. I don't think that an earthly origin is part of the criteria is it? My theory is the term MUTO was the "old" term til at least K:SI, and finally fizzling out by the 2014 film since by then, most of these giant monsters were given names. It's kinda like how scientific terms and definitions change as time goes on and more info is found.
I think MUTO up till G14 was still used as the collective term for unclassified titans. However after San Francisco the name became synonymous with a specific creature to the wider public so they altered they designation to Titan as that’s what they had been calling all their named creatures.
Last edited by Monster X on Sun May 26, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

LockBite wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:
That’s extremely disappointing :| . They should’ve had the Titans start waking up randomly and then Ghidorah makes them evil. Otherwise it’s arguably a good thing that Emma broke out Ghidorah.

Seems like the only moral takeaway from this movie is that you don’t skreeonk with Godzilla :?
What? Uh....The Titans became chaotic because of Ghidorah. When Godzilla defeats Ghidorah, they go back to their normal, peaceful ways which leads to climate change being resolved. A takeaway you get from the movie is that humans must not upset the balance of nature and to live in harmony with it.
Long Live The King

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

LockBite wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:

Seems like the only moral takeaway from this movie is that you don’t skreeonk with Godzilla :?
I mean, you do realize that he specifically woke them up to control so they could indirectly "help" him terraform the environment, right? If he wasn't killed by Godzilla, he would have continued to do so and fucked up the entire planet. In retrospect, waking up the other titans WOULD have been a good thing- but waking up Ghidorah isn't. The moral is pretty clear here, don't mess up with the natural balance and be at harmony with it.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun May 26, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Another thing to take is, don’t presume to know what’s best. They know so little about these creatures and just assumed waking them up would be better for everyone. All the time having no idea that one of them was a world ravaging alien.

Edit: they were no better then the rest of humanity despite what they preached.
Last edited by Monster X on Sun May 26, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.