Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Do you consider Awakening Canon or not

Yes
32%
No
37%
Part of it
21%
It is part of canon, but I would prefer if it was not
5%
No, but I like it anyway
5%

Total votes: 98

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla : Awakening - Do you consider it canon or not?

Post by Olzh26 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: The Blu-Ray featurette "Operation Lucky Dragon" states that Godzilla was the creature attacking ships: "After confirming the Russians were not behind these attacks, we began tracking the entity responsible: a previously unknown species photographed here." The photographs clearly show Godzilla. The creature in the photograph has a long, reptilian tail and massive dorsal plates exactly like those of G2014.

Added in 7 minutes 8 seconds:

"Lucky Dragon" was the codename of the effort to kill Godzilla with a nuclear bomb. Godzilla was the one attacking the ships.
Awakening" contradicts this?
Yeah. Awakening holds Godzilla as a creature who cares not for mankind's folly and ingores us. The instigator of the attempt to kill Godzilla with a nuke is his appearance and then submergence on Moansta island, not his raids on ships.
I think this was also the cause of the operation. they just didn't talk about it in the comic because the viewers already knew about it

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Olzh26 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Olzh26 wrote: Awakening" contradicts this?
Yeah. Awakening holds Godzilla as a creature who cares not for mankind's folly and ingores us. The instigator of the attempt to kill Godzilla with a nuke is his appearance and then submergence on Moansta island, not his raids on ships.
I think this was also the cause of the operation. they just didn't talk about it in the comic because the viewers already knew about it
The featurette specifically mentions Godzilla's attacks on ships is the cause, not his appearance on Moansta Island.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Yeah. Awakening holds Godzilla as a creature who cares not for mankind's folly and ingores us. The instigator of the attempt to kill Godzilla with a nuke is his appearance and then submergence on Moansta island, not his raids on ships.
The featurette specifically mentions Godzilla's attacks on ships is the cause, not his appearance on Moansta Island.
I'm talking about comics

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Olzh26 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Olzh26 wrote: I think this was also the cause of the operation. they just didn't talk about it in the comic because the viewers already knew about it
I'm talking about comics
The comic was released before the featurette was, so that makes no sense. It also takes deliberate time stating Godzilla isn't a direct threat to man.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Ivo-goji wrote:No one has explained to me what these supposed inconsistencies are. I've read Awakening and everything besides Ken Watanabe's age agrees with what's depicted in G14.
The comics do not mention the events of 1954, when the submarine "Nautilus" awakened Godzilla and he, in a fit of anger, would attack Russian and American warships. He just appears on the Moansta island and humanity immediately considers it a threat.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Olzh26 wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:No one has explained to me what these supposed inconsistencies are. I've read Awakening and everything besides Ken Watanabe's age agrees with what's depicted in G14.
The comics do not mention the events of 1954, when the submarine "Nautilus" awakened Godzilla and he, in a fit of anger, would attack Russian and American warships. He just appears on the Moansta island and humanity immediately considers it a threat.
Completely wrong, as I spelled out in exhausting detail in my previous post. Both the Nautilus
And Godzilla's attacks on ships
Are clearly depicted in Awakening.

It's almost as if no one read the comic at all.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:
Completely wrong, as I spelled out in exhausting detail in my previous post. Both the Nautilus

The film says it was 1954. And the comic says it was 1950

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Olzh26 wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:
Olzh26 wrote: The comics do not mention the events of 1954, when the submarine "Nautilus" awakened Godzilla and he, in a fit of anger, would attack Russian and American warships. He just appears on the Moansta island and humanity immediately considers it a threat.

False. The comic says Serizawa last found evidence of Godzilla emerging on the Island of Yap in 1950 (which the rest of Monarch was too skeptical to believe at the time), the Nautilus launch picks up a week after Serizawa visits Guam, without saying what year that took place (since it was unnecessary; that was a historical event).

Likewise the scene in question from G14 does not say he attacked Russian and American vessels *after* the Nautilus expedition, which is another case of fans getting exposition from different parts of the story mixed up.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote: Completely wrong, as I spelled out in exhausting detail in my previous post. Both the Nautilus

False. The comic says Serizawa last found evidence of Godzilla emerging on the Island of Yap in 1950 (which the rest of Monarch was too skeptical to believe at the time), the Nautilus launch picks up a week after Serizawa visits Guam, without saying what year that took place (since it was unnecessary; that was a historical event).

Likewise the scene in question from G14 does not say he attacked Russian and American vessels *after* the Nautilus expedition, which is another case of fans getting exposition from different parts of the story mixed up.
quote from this scene, "The Russians thought it was the Americans, and the Americans thought it was the Russians" obviously hinting that Godzilla did something to both. And in the materials of the bluray edition this is confirmed, it says that Godzilla attacked the Russian and American warships, after that the Russians thought it was the Americans and the Americans thought it was the Russians

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Olzh26 wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:
Olzh26 wrote: The film says it was 1954. And the comic says it was 1950

quote from this scene, "The Russians thought it was the Americans, and the Americans thought it was the Russians" obviously hinting that Godzilla did something to both. And in the materials of the bluray edition this is confirmed, it says that Godzilla attacked the Russian and American warships, after that the Russians thought it was the Americans and the Americans thought it was the Russians
And the claim that this contradicts the chronology given in Awakening is clearly untrue.
Resized Image

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote: False. The comic says Serizawa last found evidence of Godzilla emerging on the Island of Yap in 1950 (which the rest of Monarch was too skeptical to believe at the time), the Nautilus launch picks up a week after Serizawa visits Guam, without saying what year that took place (since it was unnecessary; that was a historical event).

And the claim that this contradicts the chronology given in Awakening is clearly untrue.
contradicts. Godzilla in comic attacked the ship in 1950 and the film says it was 1954. indicate where in the comic it says that Godzilla attacked the ships in 1954 and I admit that I was wrong

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Olzh26 wrote:the film says it was 1954. indicate where in the comic it says that Godzilla attacked the ships in 1954 and I admit that I was wrong
Already pointed out the movie doesn't say Godzilla attacked any ships in 1954, you've incorrectly conflated two unrelated events. There's nothing in the dialogue that requires that the ships were attacked in 1954; in fact the intuitive conclusion would be that the attacks occurred in the years before they discovered Godzilla, otherwise the Americans would never assume the Russians were responsible. They would have blamed the Russians only when they were still uncertain about Godzilla's existence- as they were throughout the first half of Awakening.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Sun May 26, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:the film says it was 1954. indicate where in the comic it says that Godzilla attacked the ships in 1954 and I admit that I was wrong
Already pointed out the movie doesn't say Godzilla attacked any ships in 1954, you've incorrectly conflated two unrelated events. There's nothing in the dialogue that requires that the ships were attacked in 1954; in fact the intuitive conclusion would be that the attacks occurred in the years before they discovered Godzilla, otherwise the Americans would never assume the Russians were responsible. They would have blamed the Russians only when they were still uncertain about Godzilla's existence- as they were throughout the first half of Awakening.
ok, thanks for explaining

Added in 10 days 9 hours 38 minutes 47 seconds:
Ivo-goji wrote:
Didn't the bluray edition say that Godzilla destroyed ships in 1954?

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

I consider it Semi-canon. Shinomura was a thing and its fights with Godzilla are canon but the Permian event I consider to be exaggerated. I say Godzilla did survive the meteor but he wasn't at ground zero of the impact and he wasn't completely unscathed but not as wounded as when
Spoiler:
the Oxygen Destroyer hit him
either. He was only about twice as hurt/exhausted as the 2014 fight left him.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:

That's not Godzilla attacking a ship, that's Godzilla intercepting Shinomura. The featurette also states that it was Godzilla and ONLY Godzilla who was attacking ships, and in the comics Shinomura is the culprit as Godzilla isn't officially recognized until 1954. "Lucky Dragon" also states that Godzilla was discovered by the nuclear fleet in the ocean depths. This is supported by 2014.

Added in 2 minutes 34 seconds:
Ivo-goji wrote:
"Lucky Dragon" Featurette states that the ships were lost "over the past months". I'd think that if they attacks happened for years (as they did in Awakening) they'd say "Years." This also contradicts the fact that Shinomura is considered the only culprit for the attacks in the comics. The reason given for nuking Godzilla is his potential trajectory to hawaii and the west coast, not his agression.

Added in 1 minute 2 seconds:
Ivo-goji wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote: False. The comic says Serizawa last found evidence of Godzilla emerging on the Island of Yap in 1950 (which the rest of Monarch was too skeptical to believe at the time), the Nautilus launch picks up a week after Serizawa visits Guam, without saying what year that took place (since it was unnecessary; that was a historical event).

Given that Lucky Dragon, the Monarch Timeline, and the explanation given in 2014 contradict Awakening, this is false.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:
Olzh26 wrote: The comics do not mention the events of 1954, when the submarine "Nautilus" awakened Godzilla and he, in a fit of anger, would attack Russian and American warships. He just appears on the Moansta island and humanity immediately considers it a threat.

That's not Godzilla attacking a ship, that's Godzilla intercepting Shinomura. The featurette also states that it was Godzilla and ONLY Godzilla who was attacking ships, and in the comics Shinomura is the culprit as Godzilla isn't officially recognized until 1954. "Lucky Dragon" also states that Godzilla was discovered by the nuclear fleet in the ocean depths. This is supported by 2014.

Ivo-goji wrote:
"Lucky Dragon" Featurette states that the ships were lost "over the past months". I'd think that if they attacks happened for years (as they did in Awakening) they'd say "Years." This also contradicts the fact that Shinomura is considered the only culprit for the attacks in the comics. The reason given for nuking Godzilla is his potential trajectory to hawaii and the west coast, not his agression.

Ivo-goji wrote:
Olzh26 wrote: quote from this scene, "The Russians thought it was the Americans, and the Americans thought it was the Russians" obviously hinting that Godzilla did something to both. And in the materials of the bluray edition this is confirmed, it says that Godzilla attacked the Russian and American warships, after that the Russians thought it was the Americans and the Americans thought it was the Russians
Given that Lucky Dragon, the Monarch Timeline, and the explanation given in 2014 contradict Awakening, this is false.
https://youtu.be/J96x0oRPjeQ
in this video they tried to link the events of the awakening with what was said in the film. What do you think about this?

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Olzh26 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote: Completely wrong, as I spelled out in exhausting detail in my previous post. Both the Nautilus

Ivo-goji wrote: Already pointed out the movie doesn't say Godzilla attacked any ships in 1954, you've incorrectly conflated two unrelated events. There's nothing in the dialogue that requires that the ships were attacked in 1954; in fact the intuitive conclusion would be that the attacks occurred in the years before they discovered Godzilla, otherwise the Americans would never assume the Russians were responsible. They would have blamed the Russians only when they were still uncertain about Godzilla's existence- as they were throughout the first half of Awakening.

Ivo-goji wrote: And the claim that this contradicts the chronology given in Awakening is clearly untrue.
https://youtu.be/J96x0oRPjeQ
in this video they tried to link the events of the awakening with what was said in the film. What do you think about this?
It works somewhat, but there are still holes in the timeline, whiuch is lampshaded by them saying "Depending on what files you read." Awakening does more damage to canon than it does good.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: That's not Godzilla attacking a ship, that's Godzilla intercepting Shinomura.
Um
That looks like a ship getting attacked to me.

Now he was also pursuing Shinomura when this happened, but (as I've already pointed out many times), no one believed Serizawa the Elder when he said Godzilla was chasing Shinomura the whole time. Monarch only realized Godzilla was attacking ships in hindsight, because at first they thought it was the Russians, but that doesn't mean they realized why he was doing it until after the MUTO incident, which was what confirmed that the two Serizawas were right about Godzilla's instinct towards other kaiju.
"Lucky Dragon" Featurette states that the ships were lost "over the past months". I'd think that if they attacks happened for years (as they did in Awakening) they'd say "Years."
Then why did the USS Lawton Incident happen in 1943?
This also contradicts the fact that Shinomura is considered the only culprit for the attacks in the comics.
Not after they identified Godzilla and immediately decided to blow him up.
Not really, not unless you bend over backwards to interpret the information in other Monsterverse sources specifically to exclude Awakening.

The people writing the actual material (KotM novelization, Aftershocks) clearly consider Awakening canon.
Awakening does more damage to canon than it does good.
It takes a fine tooth comb and a significant amount of imagination to arrive at these "contradictions" that allegedly damage the canon so much.

If anything, Awakening solves a major inconsistency in Godzilla's characterization throughout the Monsterverse's history: Why did Godzilla attack human vessels at any point in time if he's supposed to be only violent towards other kaiju? Because those incidents were all encounters with Shinomura.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: That's not Godzilla attacking a ship, that's Godzilla intercepting Shinomura.
Um

Now he was also pursuing Shinomura when this happened, but (as I've already pointed out many times), no one believed Serizawa the Elder when he said Godzilla was chasing Shinomura the whole time. Monarch only realized Godzilla was attacking ships in hindsight, because at first they thought it was the Russians, but that doesn't mean they realized why he was doing it until after the MUTO incident, which was what confirmed that the two Serizawas were right about Godzilla's instinct towards other kaiju.
The incident in the picture occurs, if I am right, in 1948. Godzilla wasn't official recognized as a MUTO or a culprit until 1954.

Surprising, seeing as it only took me a few reads of Awakening side-by-side to the film and other materials to conclude awakening contradicts MV canon.
Godzilla attacking a large, weaponized, foreign object in his territory isn't unusual, he only backed off of castle bravo after they lowered their arms. Animals attack vehicles in their territory all the time, and just because Godzilla is supposed to violent toward other kaiju doesn't mean he didn't perceive the loud, noise, large, and dangerously-armed foreign objects in his territory to be intruders/challengers.

Added in 9 minutes 10 seconds:
Ivo-goji wrote:
Um

"Lucky Dragon" Featurette states that the ships were lost "over the past months". I'd think that if they attacks happened for years (as they did in Awakening) they'd say "Years."
Then why did the USS Lawton Incident happen in 1943?
This also contradicts the fact that Shinomura is considered the only culprit for the attacks in the comics.
Not after they identified Godzilla and immediately decided to blow him up.
Not really, not unless you bend over backwards to interpret the information in other Monsterverse sources specifically to exclude Awakening.

The people writing the actual material (KotM novelization, Aftershocks) clearly consider Awakening canon.
Awakening does more damage to canon than it does good.
It takes a fine tooth comb and a significant amount of imagination to arrive at these "contradictions" that allegedly damage the canon so much.

If anything, Awakening solves a major inconsistency in Godzilla's characterization throughout the Monsterverse's history: Why did Godzilla attack human vessels at any point in time if he's supposed to be only violent towards other kaiju? Because those incidents were all encounters with Shinomura.
1. Godzilla was not recognized by Monarch until 1954 and was not seen as a possible assailant because they didn't believe in his existence and believed Shinomura was the sole culprit, if awakening is to be believed.
2. JVR himself stated Godzilla was not the culprit for the USS Lawton attack.
3. Which they decided to do because of his westward trajectory, not because of his previous aggression.
4. If by "Bend over backwards" you mean "take a basic look at the comic and realize it doesn't fit into canon", then yeah. Besides, novelizations are not canon and Aftershock has nothing to imply Awakening is canon.
5. Just because Godzilla is aggressive to other Kaiju does not mean he wouldn't attack a large, weaponized, noisy, and well-armored object moving through his territory. Godzilla also got aggressive with Castle Bravo, and only stood down once they lowered their arms and armor. That's also discounting the fact that, given the secret frequency Emma Russel used in the Orca is that of a human, Godzilla may have perceived the warships and/or their human crews as challengers.