Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Re: Godzilla ² General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

The MUTOs EMP does not weaken Godzilla. That is just some dumb misconceptions fans took from the novelization because they couldn’t accept that Godzilla’s breath wasn’t a beam. Even then from the novelization it was something the Male Muto could do to shut off the atom breath, not weaken it.

It's true, but what was the point of the Mutos EMP during the Stone Age? it makes no sense.

MUTO prime isn't superior than Godzilla. She didn't kill Dagon for one thing, she just knocked him down and planted her eggs inside him. The eggs leached off Dagon's radiation which slowly drove him to his deathbed.

She tried to do that with Godzilla too, she just stunned/injured him and tried to lay her eggs inside him. She got totally wrecked when Godzilla was given a chance to get back up, so I wouldn't say she's superior to Godzilla. Plus if Godzilla was like his 2019 self I doubt he would have gotten beaten down by Prime in the first place.
I did not read Aftershock, so I'm considering this:

"As depicted in the Phoenician stone tablets, however, Dagon was no match for MUTO Prime in physical combat and was quickly brought down and infected with his enemy's parasitic young, eventually leading to his death."

"They witnessed the arrival of what was almost certainly Jinshin-Mushi, which attacked Dagon and knocked him to the ground before extending arrow-tipped tentacles from its body and stabbing him with them. Dagon eventually regained consciousness and returned to the sea, with the inscriptions suggesting that he had miraculously been saved from death. However, Monarch's Dr. Emma Russell knew what had really become of Dagon. Jinshin-Mushi had implanted its parasitic young inside of Dagon's body. These parasites leeched off of Dagon's internal nuclear energy until he finally collapsed and died, becoming entombed in a cave in the Philippines which had been uncovered in 1999"

He definitely defeated Dagon, but he needed a live host to feed his eggs. The relationship is the same between a wasp and a tarantula. The wasp is the predator here.

And, about Godzilla:

"MUTO Prime's eggs emit a sonic pulse while inside a host that signals to their mother that they are safely incubating and change MUTO Prime's response from fight to flight. Emma Russell was able to exploit this by replicating the sonic pulse effect, called the "Drums of Raijin," using a prototype for her sonar device the ORCA. This pacified MUTO Prime long enough for Godzilla to take the upper hand in their battle. While its shell can protect it from most damage, MUTO Prime is finally killed when Godzilla stomps on and crushes its head while it is helpless after being knocked onto its back."

"Godzilla can also be outmatched in one-on-one combat by an enemy comparable to him in size and strength, as observed in his encounters with MUTO Prime. MUTO Prime relies on its powerful forelimbs to stun Godzilla with a well-timed punch to the face, while also successfully drawing blood from him with the sharp claws on its smaller additional arms. MUTO Prime's sonic roar is also powerful enough to completely shatter his dorsal fins. MUTO Prime's speed allows it to escape before Godzilla can react, meaning MUTO Prime gradually weakens Godzilla over several encounters by attacking him and retreating before it sustains any damage itself. Monarch determines that Godzilla lost his battle against MUTO Prime in France, as he sustains numerous wounds while MUTO Prime escapes mostly unharmed. Godzilla is nearly infected by MUTO Prime's parasitic spores twice, and only manages to survive and win their final battle in Montana due to Monarch's intervention. However, unlike in his battle with the MUTOs, Godzilla's battle with MUTO Prime leaves him with visible injuries all over his body, and he is only able to weakly limp away.

I am not saying that the muto is more destructive or more durable. But his combat strategy has killed creatures of the Godzilla species over time. If Monarch had not helped, Godzilla would have been infected and killed as well.

Again, it is the same relationship between a tarantula hawk and a tarantula. The spider is bigger and stronger, but the wasp always wins. The wasp is the predator.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

To those who have seen the movie, if someone were to say the plot was "ridiculously dumb", what specific elements of the plot could you see being brought up, even if you don't agree at all?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Moogabunga wrote:To those who have seen the movie, if someone were to say the plot was "ridiculously dumb", what specific elements of the plot could you see being brought up, even if you don't agree at all?
Vera's arc mostly but the movie clearly shows that she's not in her right mind anyway.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Appeal to those who watched the movie. Was there any new, interesting information about Godzilla in the film?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Olzh26 wrote:Appeal to those who watched the movie. Was there any new, interesting information about Godzilla in the film?
He has a lair where he replenishes his nuclear energy some lost civilization worshipped Godzilla
He's much more active in the this time
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:Appeal to those who watched the movie. Was there any new, interesting information about Godzilla in the film?
He has a lair where he replenishes his nuclear energy some lost civilization worshipped Godzilla
He's much more active in the this time
Thanks

marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Post by marcdrac »

They had leaked the post credit scene on youtube! Where Alan Jonah is seen in a warehouse on the island of Mona with one of Ghidorah's heads. What is your opinion?

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

Vandarker wrote:
American Godzilla wrote:I've heard that Ghidorah has regenerative powers. How does this (plus Ghidorah's armored hide/durability) handle Godzilla blue Atomic Breath? Does Ghidorah not take any damage from it?
Ghidorah is durable enough to not take any damage from Godzilla's atomic breath. He gets pushed back or knocked over when he's caught off guard, but he takes no real damage.

The only time Ghidorah uses his regenerative powers is when he re-grows his head, other than that he pretty much never gets injured until Fire Godzilla comes on scene. And Fire Godzilla is so powerful that Ghidorah is literally obliterated and doesn't even get a chance to regenerate.

An interesting thing, the middle head was alive and seemed to be able to regenerate until Godzilla completely destroyed it. But the head that was cut off in Mexico was completely dead when the fishermen found it.

I'm sorry for the precarious English

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

marcdrac wrote:They had leaked the post credit scene on youtube! Where Alan Jonah is seen in a warehouse on the island of Mona with one of Ghidorah's heads. What is your opinion?
Nothing spectacular but it may up the human conspiracy in Godzilla vs Kong

indieskywalker
Ronin

Post by indieskywalker »

For those who saw screenings already.

I’ll put it simply. The negative reviews on YouTube have me all worried. Is the monster action lacking again? Am I gonna leave the theater wishing there was more of it? And was the movie underwhelming as a whole? As a Godzilla fan, I just wanna see my fav monsters come to life and give them plenty of screen time, even if they’re not fighting each other.

I don’t necessarily care about if the plot is Oscar worthy. Average plot would be good for me.

Was KOTM The Last Jedi levels of disappointing? Or am I getting too worried?

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

BrazilianKaiju wrote:
"As depicted in the Phoenician stone tablets, however, Dagon was no match for MUTO Prime in physical combat and was quickly brought down and infected with his enemy's parasitic young, eventually leading to his death."

"They witnessed the arrival of what was almost certainly Jinshin-Mushi, which attacked Dagon and knocked him to the ground before extending arrow-tipped tentacles from its body and stabbing him with them. Dagon eventually regained consciousness and returned to the sea, with the inscriptions suggesting that he had miraculously been saved from death. However, Monarch's Dr. Emma Russell knew what had really become of Dagon. Jinshin-Mushi had implanted its parasitic young inside of Dagon's body. These parasites leeched off of Dagon's internal nuclear energy until he finally collapsed and died, becoming entombed in a cave in the Philippines which had been uncovered in 1999"

He definitely defeated Dagon, but he needed a live host to feed his eggs. The relationship is the same between a wasp and a tarantula. The wasp is the predator here.

And, about Godzilla:

"MUTO Prime's eggs emit a sonic pulse while inside a host that signals to their mother that they are safely incubating and change MUTO Prime's response from fight to flight. Emma Russell was able to exploit this by replicating the sonic pulse effect, called the "Drums of Raijin," using a prototype for her sonar device the ORCA. This pacified MUTO Prime long enough for Godzilla to take the upper hand in their battle. While its shell can protect it from most damage, MUTO Prime is finally killed when Godzilla stomps on and crushes its head while it is helpless after being knocked onto its back."

"Godzilla can also be outmatched in one-on-one combat by an enemy comparable to him in size and strength, as observed in his encounters with MUTO Prime. MUTO Prime relies on its powerful forelimbs to stun Godzilla with a well-timed punch to the face, while also successfully drawing blood from him with the sharp claws on its smaller additional arms. MUTO Prime's sonic roar is also powerful enough to completely shatter his dorsal fins. MUTO Prime's speed allows it to escape before Godzilla can react, meaning MUTO Prime gradually weakens Godzilla over several encounters by attacking him and retreating before it sustains any damage itself. Monarch determines that Godzilla lost his battle against MUTO Prime in France, as he sustains numerous wounds while MUTO Prime escapes mostly unharmed. Godzilla is nearly infected by MUTO Prime's parasitic spores twice, and only manages to survive and win their final battle in Montana due to Monarch's intervention. However, unlike in his battle with the MUTOs, Godzilla's battle with MUTO Prime leaves him with visible injuries all over his body, and he is only able to weakly limp away.

I am not saying that the muto is more destructive or more durable. But his combat strategy has killed creatures of the Godzilla species over time. If Monarch had not helped, Godzilla would have been infected and killed as well.

Again, it is the same relationship between a tarantula hawk and a tarantula. The spider is bigger and stronger, but the wasp always wins. The wasp is the predator.
That's what I'm saying, that's all that she does. A hit-and-run strategy. She attacks Godzilla repeatedly, runs away before Godzilla gets a good chance to retaliate, and keeps doing that until she gets a chance to knock Godzilla down briefly so she can plant the eggs in him and run away.
She puts up a good fight unlike the male and female MUTOs, but she probably knows she will be outclassed if she stays around and fight. She's faster than Godzilla so she can get good hits on him before he reacts and mess him up pretty good, but if Godzilla gets a chance to retaliate she'll be wrecked. She probably did that with Dagon as well.

She's not like Ghidorah who's capable of taking Godzilla head on and overpower him. Though the comparison itself is pretty irrelevant since Godzilla is much bigger and energetic now than he was during the 2014 events.

Added in 3 minutes 6 seconds:
indieskywalker wrote:For those who saw screenings already.

I’ll put it simply. The negative reviews on YouTube have me all worried. Is the monster action lacking again? Am I gonna leave the theater wishing there was more of it? And was the movie underwhelming as a whole? As a Godzilla fan, I just wanna see my fav monsters come to life and give them plenty of screen time, even if they’re not fighting each other.

I don’t necessarily care about if the plot is Oscar worthy. Average plot would be good for me.

No that's bullshit don't listen to Youtube reviews and don't worry about it
Last edited by Vandarker on Sat May 25, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

indieskywalker
Ronin

Post by indieskywalker »

Vandarker wrote:
BrazilianKaiju wrote:

And, about Godzilla:

That's what I'm saying, that's all that she does. A hit-and-run strategy. She attacks Godzilla repeatedly, runs away before Godzilla gets a good chance to retaliate, and keeps doing that until she gets a chance to knock Godzilla down briefly so she can plant the eggs in him and run away.
She puts up a good fight unlike the male and female MUTOs, but she probably knows she will be outclassed if she stays around and fight. She's faster than Godzilla so she can get good hits on him before he reacts and mess him up pretty good, but if Godzilla gets a chance to retaliate she'll be wrecked. She probably did that with Dagon as well.

She's not like Ghidorah who's capable of taking Godzilla head on and overpower him. Though the comparison itself is pretty irrelevant since Godzilla is much bigger and energetic now than he was during the 2014 events.

Will I be dissatisfied with the monster action? I’m not expecting Pacific Rim 1 levels but I also have high hopes that Mike Dougherty actually fixed the flaws of G14.

batzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by batzilla »

Not sure if this was posted. A reaction from MovieBob, who was pretty harsh on 2014:
Hey, @Mike_Dougherty - I don't think I'm allowed to say why yet, but you are now my new God and next time you come to Boston I owe you a beer. Several if you like. Respect. THANK YOU.
THANK YOU.
THANK YOU.
THANK YOU.
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status ... 58625?s=20

KinoKaiser
Ronin

Post by KinoKaiser »

batzilla wrote:MovieBob
Opinion Discarded

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

batzilla wrote:Not sure if this was posted. A reaction from MovieBob, who was pretty harsh on 2014:
Hey, @Mike_Dougherty - I don't think I'm allowed to say why yet, but you are now my new God and next time you come to Boston I owe you a beer. Several if you like. Respect. THANK YOU.
THANK YOU.
THANK YOU.
THANK YOU.
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status ... 58625?s=20
*Sees MovieBob*

Ewwwwwwwwwwww why would anyone care about what that psycho has to say?
:terrestris:

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

indieskywalker wrote:
Vandarker wrote:
BrazilianKaiju wrote:

Will I be dissatisfied with the monster action? I’m not expecting Pacific Rim 1 levels but I also have high hopes that Mike Dougherty actually fixed the flaws of G14.
Lots of monster action but it's just fast paced so if you can keep up with it you'll enjoy it

indieskywalker
Ronin

Post by indieskywalker »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
indieskywalker wrote:
Vandarker wrote:

Lots of monster action but it's just fast paced so if you can keep up with it you'll enjoy it
What do you mean by fast paced though? Can you give a similar movie as an example? Like Kong Skull Island?

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Is Godzilla already bigger at the start of the film or him being revived by the nuke cause him to grow?
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Tyrant28 wrote:Is Godzilla already bigger at the start of the film or him being revived by the nuke cause him to grow?
Isn't mentioned, but his profile at the Monarch website indicates that he's already bigger at the start of the film.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

indieskywalker wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
indieskywalker wrote:
What do you mean by fast paced though? Can you give a similar movie as an example? Like Kong Skull Island?
First Tranformers movie. 1 min of fight scene, next min of humans running from the carnage and next min of human still running while fight happens in background.