Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by _JNavs_ »

If we're going off Gavin Feng, would you guys be okay with another 76%, 7-8/10 film?

I'd be cool with it since it seems like a Monsterverse standard. Plus it's no score to cry about.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

_JNavs_ wrote:If we're going off Gavin Feng, would you guys be okay with another 76%, 7-8/10 film?

I'd be cool with it since it seems like a Monsterverse standard. Plus it's no score to cry about.
Yeah, honestly if the score turns out to be 70%+ again i'd be totally fine with it.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I predicted 60-70. Sticking with that
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla21 wrote:I predicted 60-70. Sticking with that
I kinda agree, but you're thinking lower than the previous 2 films?

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Ya. I think with such an emphasis on action and less on character some critics will see that as a detriment.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

For me, I just hope the movie gets a better score then Captain Marvel (I hated it). So hopefully better than 78% on RT lol

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla21 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Ya. I think with such an emphasis on action and less on character some critics will see that as a detriment.
Okay yeah I getcha, it's interesting how some people are praising the characters while others are saying they didn't have enough screen time, yet I think the general consensus is that these new characters are still better than the last 2 films, so I wonder what the critics are going to say.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: I kinda agree, but you're thinking lower than the previous 2 films?
Okay yeah I getcha, it's interesting how some people are praising the characters while others are saying they didn't have enough screen time, yet I think the general consensus is that these new characters are still better than the last 2 films, so I wonder what the critics are going to say.
I think the major detriment of this movie is their motivations. That’s the part that seems as of now to be unanimously disliked (for those who went into a bit more detail on why they loved/hated the film).
Long Live The King

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

The "final look" trailer is getting a decent amount of views.

Also, critic reviews aren't the end-all-be-all. Look at Aquaman and now Aladdin. It will all be about the word of mouth. This is a monster movie, so the GA will expect monster action. We know it will deliver on that. There's a good chance it will be mixed from critics but the good word of mouth from the GA will make it the success we want it to be.

Plus, presales are looking very strong. It' hard not to get caught up in the negativity. I admit I allow myself to get worried at times as well. Just try and not overthink things, sit back and look at the big picture: good presale numbers and a movie that will deliver what's expected of it to the GA.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Gyaos wrote:From Gavin Feng...

7.0/10 on Douban, 9.0/10 on Taopiaopiao.

The first score is the equivalent of RT, the second is the audience score
That Douban score is higher than G14 and KSI, so that’s good
Long Live The King

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Honestly for me it could be 40% as long as it made good box office and the series continued. I don't even really care about the RT score. Ghostbusters 2016 is at like 72% when it should be at 13%. So that score can wildly inaccurate
SpaceG92 wrote:

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Godzilla21 wrote:Honestly for me it could be 40% as long as it made good box office and the series continued. I don't even really care about the RT score. Ghostbusters 2016 is at like 72% when it should be at 13%. So that score can wildly inaccurate
I lost all faith in RT when Last Jedi lol

Gyaos
Samurai

Post by Gyaos »

I think the studio would be satisfied with 70%, but would prefer the audience score get to around 93%.

If the reviews won't be a selling point, like they were for John Wick 3, you need tremendous WOM like Aquaman got.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Vandarker wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Honestly for me it could be 40% as long as it made good box office and the series continued. I don't even really care about the RT score. Ghostbusters 2016 is at like 72% when it should be at 13%. So that score can wildly inaccurate
I lost all faith in RT when Last Jedi lol
Ya that too. At least TLJ had SOME redeeming aspects (not a ton though). GB16 had none.

Average critic score is far more accurate.

I prefer the MV to continue and things not go back to Toho so I prefer a good box office to keep it going.
SpaceG92 wrote:

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

I'm having an ExasperatedPikachu.jpg moment encountering KOTM TV spots on TV. I should be expecting them but I keep forgetting to because I don't watch TV all that much anymore.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Id look at Venom as an example... Cringe worthy dialog.. I remember the ''turd in the wind'' being everywhere.
Then I remember the poor reviews by critics and 29% but audience rating 81%.
Box office 855$ million Worldwide.

I am not saying Godzilla will be like Venom my whole point is audience are not critic's, another example is
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Critic Score 48%, Audience 49%
Box Office 1.3$ Billion worldwide

Right now we don't know how this film will do, but so far presales are good.. Word of Mouth is pretty positive. Audiences seem to have fun with it. I think we will be fine.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Identity politics is a powerful thing :lol:

Gyaos
Samurai

Post by Gyaos »

KOTM looks to sink or swim on WOM
Last edited by Gyaos on Sat May 25, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Id look at Venom as an example... Cringe worthy dialog.. I remember the ''turd in the wind'' being everywhere.
Then I remember the poor reviews by critics and 29% but audience rating 81%.
Box office 855$ million Worldwide.

I am not saying Godzilla will be like Venom my whole point is audience are not critic's, another example is
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Critic Score 48%, Audience 49%
Box Office 1.3$ Billion worldwide

Right now we don't know how this film will do, but so far presales are good.. Word of Mouth is pretty positive. Audiences seem to have fun with it. I think we will be fine.
The thing is that those already have large fanbases and broad appeal to the GA (Venom being a superhero movie and a popular villain of Spider-Man; JWFK being well....a JP/JW film). Giant monsters fighting is a big appeal too, but I would say it’s less significant than the ones you mentioned.

Nonetheless, I think KOTM will do what it needs to do BO wise.
Long Live The King

Gyaos
Samurai

Post by Gyaos »

From Gavin Feng...
China Box Office: Godzilla: King of the Monsters earn $2.1M from Saturday previews. 7.0/10 on Douban film site & 9.0/10 on Taopiaopiao ticket site. Current pre-sale performance suggest it's looking to $70-75M on 3-day opening next week. #GodzillaMovie