Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Vandarker
G-Grasper

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by Vandarker »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:I'm not surprised about these negative reactions their are some legitimate pacing issues in the final battle the action moves so first and switch back and forth so much that a couple don't get enough. Characters are fine certainly the best in the Monsterverse but I think they were expecting a more serious tone like G14. Just wait to reiterate that my full house screening everybody clapped it's a fun movie that the GA can enjoy and the critics more mixed and a few haters which I can't really blame them
Yeah, the movie definitely does have minor issues and if one chooses to dwell on those, I can understand why that person would dislike this movie. It's a fun move but not flawless.

Added in 34 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
That seems to still be the same. Ah well, should be fine.
The human characters were pretty great in this. There's a whole lot of them who only say one or two lines but the main characters are well done if nothing original.
Without delving into spoilers of course, would you say Kyle Chandler was a standout favorite?

Was Charles Dance a favorite?
Chandler did good acting, though I think the script could have given him some more character development.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Heads up, don't post spoiler reviews in non-spoiler threads.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

cloverfan98 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:
The human characters were pretty great in this. There's a whole lot of them who only say one or two lines but the main characters are well done if nothing original.
Without delving into spoilers of course, would you say Kyle Chandler was a standout favorite?

Are we comparing them to all characters from every Godzilla film? Kyle Chandler is someone who I always enjoy seeing and his character is probably my favorite of all the new ones. Nothing too new a father who lost a child to Godzilla or the MUTOs in 2014 who hates Godzilla for it. Unlike Joe Brody he actually gets to struggle with these feelings for more than 25 min. Charles Dance was pretty great and felt pretty ruthless. We could have been shown doing more but you don't want the human villain to compete with Ghidorah for the spotlight so I can understand why he doesn't have more screen time. I could see that changing and him growing more in the future.
Would you agree with Godzilla2000Zero’s assessment? Is there a pacing issue in the final battle, with too much cutting back and forth? Is it too lighthearted overall?

scandisk_
Ronin

Post by scandisk_ »

One thing these early reviews have in common is that, it's Propping Aladdin on a Godzilla review. And it's not like a short remark, they BLATANTLY say ALADDIN HAD WON em OVER on a Godzilla video.

To each his own, I guess

/evildisney

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

scandisk_ wrote:One thing these early reviews have in common is that, it's Propping Aladdin on a Godzilla review. And it's not like a short remark, they BLATANTLY say ALADDIN HAD WON em OVER on a Godzilla video.

To each his own, I guess

/evildisney
Which is interesting since Aladdin just came out today, and Godzilla had screenings that technically can't be "reviewed" yet.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 24, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

scandisk_
Ronin

Post by scandisk_ »

_JNavs_ wrote:
scandisk_ wrote:One thing these early reviews have in common is that, it's Propping Aladdin on a Godzilla review. And it's not like a short remark, they BLATANTLY say ALADDIN HAD WON em OVER on a Godzilla video.

To each his own, I guess

/evildisney
Which is interesting since Aladdin just came out today, and Godzilla had screenings that technically can't be "reviewed" yet.
One reviewer gave it a 7/10. But it doesn't sound like it warranted a 7 based on his review (more like a 5). Weird.

Anyhoo, we'll see.
Last edited by scandisk_ on Fri May 24, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Yeah, after actually looking into all 4 reviews it seems that all of them follow the basic theme- no serious criticisms in regards to actual issues, just the same mindset of "wtf I paid to watch a Godzilla movie, what are the humans doing here it sucks ffs I wanna see MORE FIGHTS". The fact that one of them is literally getting roasted in the comments says a lot lmao. I'm definitely curious to see if there are more actual negative reviews, but these 4 might aswell be ignored completely lol.

Also, the last one is 10% review, 90% praising Aladdin. I would have asked what's the connection exactly, but it seems pretty clearly to be a homemade commercial.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri May 24, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Chinese screening ends in an hour I believe.
Long Live The King

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I thought that said 'Chinese screaming' as in happy raving and I was ready to say 'well hold on now let's not expect them to fall head over heels for it.'

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

LockBite wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Without delving into spoilers of course, would you say Kyle Chandler was a standout favorite?

Are we comparing them to all characters from every Godzilla film? Kyle Chandler is someone who I always enjoy seeing and his character is probably my favorite of all the new ones. Nothing too new a father who lost a child to Godzilla or the MUTOs in 2014 who hates Godzilla for it. Unlike Joe Brody he actually gets to struggle with these feelings for more than 25 min. Charles Dance was pretty great and felt pretty ruthless. We could have been shown doing more but you don't want the human villain to compete with Ghidorah for the spotlight so I can understand why he doesn't have more screen time. I could see that changing and him growing more in the future.
Would you agree with Godzilla2000Zero’s assessment? Is there a pacing issue in the final battle, with too much cutting back and forth? Is it too lighthearted overall?
The tone wasn't really an issue for me although the trailers did make it seem like it was a slightly more serious film than it actually is it just depends on your taste as far as the pacing it concerned it not there's not enough action there's plenty of it more than G14 and Kong but it's the way they cut between the human scenes and monster scenes and very fast which I have stated earlier that G14 and Kong I thought did a better job at but at least the human characters are superior this time so it's just a personal nitpick with me that may go away with a second viewing but I can understand why some hated it
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
LockBite wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:
The tone wasn't really an issue for me although the trailers did make it seem like it was a slightly more serious film than it actually is it just depends on your taste as far as the pacing it concerned it not there's not enough action there's plenty of it more than G14 and Kong but it's the way they cut between the human scenes and monster scenes and very fast which I have stated earlier that G14 and Kong I thought did a better job at but at least the human characters are superior this time so it's just a personal nitpick with me that may go away with a second viewing but I can understand why some hated it
Wait, the movie is actually LIGHTER than the trailers made it out to be? How many wisecracks are in this fucking thing, man? Is it darker than Avengers Endgame at least?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

LockBite wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
LockBite wrote: Would you agree with Godzilla2000Zero’s assessment? Is there a pacing issue in the final battle, with too much cutting back and forth? Is it too lighthearted overall?
Wait, the movie is actually LIGHTER than the trailers made it out to be? How many wisecracks are in this skreeonking thing, man? Is it darker than Avengers Endgame at least?
It's slightly darker than your typical Marvel film but not by much and would maybe comparable with Endgame and is certainly some dark scenes but the humor is surprisely good if you liked Kong's tone you'll enjoy this
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I'm quite baffled people were actually expecting this to be dark and gritty in the first place. Nothing about the trailers gave that particular vibe lol.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm glad they're not trying to be.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
LockBite wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: The tone wasn't really an issue for me although the trailers did make it seem like it was a slightly more serious film than it actually is it just depends on your taste as far as the pacing it concerned it not there's not enough action there's plenty of it more than G14 and Kong but it's the way they cut between the human scenes and monster scenes and very fast which I have stated earlier that G14 and Kong I thought did a better job at but at least the human characters are superior this time so it's just a personal nitpick with me that may go away with a second viewing but I can understand why some hated it
Wait, the movie is actually LIGHTER than the trailers made it out to be? How many wisecracks are in this skreeonking thing, man? Is it darker than Avengers Endgame at least?
It's slightly darker than your typical Marvel film but not by much and would maybe comparable with Endgame and is certainly some dark scenes but the humor is surprisely good if you liked Kong's tone you'll enjoy this
I found Kong to be WAY too goofy. To the point where everything came off as a big joke. I don’t want to see anything like that, and it sucks if this film’s tone is comparable at all. Sorry to be such a downer, that’s just my opinion.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

The humor is better in this film and retains some of the serious nature of G14 in several scenes so it's slighty more serious than Kong but not much. They are some wisecracks from Middleditch and Whitford and others but I didn't find it distracting just ironic how these guys were dealing with a fucked up situation

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

Hokmuto wrote:
Can of Conspiracy wrote: Anyone care to link some of these? I know I'm being a lazy sod, but you guys got me intrigued. Thanks of the replies, in any case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKAli3wC1ow
Here's the human nature one
Thanks a bunch! Dance is fast becoming one of the things I'm the most excited to see. Really wish they had more of his lines plastered all over the ads instead of the endless dammrights and thatsmessedups.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sat May 25, 2019 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Any new reactions?
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Any new reactions?
I dunno, have there been any more preview screenings? If not, probably won't hear more before the embargo lifts on Tuesday.

As for the tone: as I said in the member reaction thread, it's lighter than G'14 but takes itself more seriously than K:SI. It's closer to K:SI in tone, but still more serious than that. Not quite sure what to compare to otherwise, honestly. Definitely, NOT like a Marvel film, those movies are practically comedies and this isn't that. Maybe more like the tone of an older school Action movie, where everyone's taking things fairly seriously but everyone once in a while the comic relief will make a wisecrack to lighten the mood.

Gyaos
Samurai

Post by Gyaos »

Mediocre reaction from Gavin Feng....

Gavin Feng
‏@gavinfeng97
2h2 hours ago
More
Yes, it easily beat Godzilla 2014. But script is still weak - human beings almost made every stupid mistake they could in the first 30 mins for let the story continue. Crazy fights in the 2nd & 3rd act could make audience feel thrilled. Pace is average

His critic predictions...

Rotten Tomatoes - 65%
MetaCritic - 50/100
Audience Score - 80/100
CinemaScore - B+/A-
Last edited by Gyaos on Sat May 25, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.