Godzilla King of the Monsters Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: The Godzilla 2 Speculation Thread [NO SPOILERS]

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

_JNavs_ wrote:Gyaos vs Legendzilla vs. BARAGONBREH vs. mothraviras for the top spot
Fixed that for you! :lol:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri May 24, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

gottatalktothefake wrote:We'll see if the tides change after tonight's screening, but given the sheer volume of positive reactions to mixed and negative reactions (86% are positive by the way, I've been keeping track) I doubt it at this point.
PLEASE REGARD THIS AS YOU WILL, I'M INTOXICATED!

I didn't even realize there were negative reviews until I opened this thread up for my own message, I may have joined this forum in 2016, but I've been a Godzilla fan for 18/19 years and I've known about Tohokingdom since 2003. I hope to God (zilla) that this film does excellent in the box office!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

G2000 wrote:Obviously we’re biased as Godzilla fans but I really don’t see why this film would be hated all that much

It’s not going to be the best movie ever and some people are going to hate it no matter what but it’s a big and loud and explosive blockbuster movie and those are typical well-liked
I do find it interesting that some people spend every blinking minute hating on a specific film as if that film had haunted them as a child. It's a bit odd, but as you said, we're biased since we grew up on this kinda stuff so we see even the smallest bits of potential shine through.

If Transformers can do fine, if corny MCU films can do fine, if the DCEU can make beaucoup money, if Venom can make 800 Million on a 50/50 general audience, if every monster film released post 2014 made money.

Then I don't see this one being any different than those, we'll be fine guys, let's just relax and let the cruise take us to our destination while we sip our martinis... Shaken, not stirred.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

_JNavs_ wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:We'll see if the tides change after tonight's screening, but given the sheer volume of positive reactions to mixed and negative reactions (86% are positive by the way, I've been keeping track) I doubt it at this point.
I've kinda been keeping track a bit, but I'm sure you have the actual numbers, 86% definitely sounds accurate so far.

Better than G14 and K:SI with some weak elements that could be improved upon.
Adding in the reactions from the TK members and the reactions Gyaos found the numbers at this point are 53 positive, 5 mixed and 7 negative, approval rating at worst being 82. We'll see how it changes when reactions start coming in tomorrow morning.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
I've kinda been keeping track a bit, but I'm sure you have the actual numbers, 86% definitely sounds accurate so far.

Adding in the reactions from the TK members and the reactions Gyaos found the numbers at this point are 53 positive, 5 mixed and 7 negative, approval rating at worst being 82. We'll see how it changes when reactions start coming in tomorrow morning.
Was there another screening? Yeah hopefully we get tons of new reactions.

So once Tuesday rolls around, what happens? The RT score gets revealed and the embargo lifts?

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

If you want my feelings on this watch this video and then read the comments of Elnaucity (which is my channel) and you will see how I feel about all of this!

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

_JNavs_ wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

Was there another screening? Yeah hopefully we get tons of new reactions.

So once Tuesday rolls around, what happens? The RT score gets revealed and the embargo lifts?
There will be a screening in China tomorrow and another the very next day I believe.
Long Live The King

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

This is why I'm saying there will be reactions to come in the morning

https://twitter.com/gavinfeng97/status/ ... 2855869440
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Ah so the screenings will be starting in about 10 minutes? Sweet, I'd stay up late and keep watch, but I don't know if the reactions will be immediate.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I can’t read Mandarian
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

They should wait in order to ingest what they have experienced before making rweviews.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

A handful of negative reviews don't mean much. It's on par with Jurassic World and Pacific Rim 1, which got mixed to favorable reviews. while 70~80 percent of the audience are gonna like it or at least think that the pros outweigh the cons, another 20~30 percent are gonna dislike it and start spewing out negative reviews.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Man if only there was a poster here who knows Mandarin.....
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

_JNavs_ wrote:Ah so the screenings will be starting in about 10 minutes? Sweet, I'd stay up late and keep watch, but I don't know if the reactions will be immediate.
11pm PST, it's almost 11 EST, it starts 3 hours from now

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

_JNavs_ wrote:Ah so the screenings will be starting in about 10 minutes? Sweet, I'd stay up late and keep watch, but I don't know if the reactions will be immediate.
11pm PST, it's almost 11 EST, it starts 3 hours from now
Dang, so close yet so far.

What were the reactions like towards G14 and K:SI right before release? Similar to this one or a bit more mixed?

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

KingKaiju wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:I think if the complaints for the last film were, "It was too dark, and not enough monsters" then we should be fine with this film.
Also not so great human characters.
That seems to still be the same. Ah well, should be fine.
The human characters were pretty great in this. There's a whole lot of them who only say one or two lines but the main characters are well done if nothing original.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

cloverfan98 wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Also not so great human characters.
The human characters were pretty great in this. There's a whole lot of them who only say one or two lines but the main characters are well done if nothing original.
Without delving into spoilers of course, would you say Kyle Chandler was a standout favorite?

Was Charles Dance a favorite?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 24, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

I'm not surprised about these negative reactions their are some legitimate pacing issues in the final battle the action moves so first and switch back and forth so much that a couple don't get enough. Characters are fine certainly the best in the Monsterverse but I think they were expecting a more serious tone like G14. Just wait to reiterate that my full house screening everybody clapped it's a fun movie that the GA can enjoy and the critics more mixed and a few haters which I can't really blame them
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
Without delving into spoilers of course, would you say Kyle Chandler was a standout favorite?

Are we comparing them to all characters from every Godzilla film? Kyle Chandler is someone who I always enjoy seeing and his character is probably my favorite of all the new ones. Nothing too new a father who lost a child to Godzilla or the MUTOs in 2014 who hates Godzilla for it. Unlike Joe Brody he actually gets to struggle with these feelings for more than 25 min. Charles Dance was pretty great and felt pretty ruthless. We could have been shown doing more but you don't want the human villain to compete with Ghidorah for the spotlight so I can understand why he doesn't have more screen time. I could see that changing and him growing more in the future.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

_JNavs_ wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:

Kyle Chandler was good very emotional as was Vera and Millie
Charles Danxe was a PG13 Tywin Lannister
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012