Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla ² General Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by G2000 »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I know the positive reactions still make up over 80% of reactions, but I’m still worried about how it will do critically.
Same. I don't imagine it will do all that poorly but even so

The guy who camripped the post-credits called the film "disappointing" but it seems he's basing it on there "not being enough fights"
Which is odd because according to others there's a fairly high amount of fights so I'm half convinced some people won't be pleased until they get a fiilm that really is "only monsters"
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Yeah, when some people complain about that sort of thing they'll continue to do so no matter how much there actually is. Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile.

I'd like to believe that people usually have a problem with the pacing when they say that stuff, but I don't even know anymore.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

G2000 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote:I know the positive reactions still make up over 80% of reactions, but I’m still worried about how it will do critically.

The guy who camripped the post-credits called the film "disappointing" but it seems he's basing it on there "not being enough fights"
Which is odd because according to others there's a fairly high amount of fights so I'm half convinced some people won't be pleased until they get a fiilm that really is "only monsters"
Hit the nail on the head. I somewhat understood with 2014, with how the cutaways were handled and the pacing perhaps (though I disagree). But here? Literally no excuse. Tbh it does start to seem like some of those people legit just want a monster only movie, with humans being sidelined or not involved at all. I'd personally ignore any "criticism" in that particular regard that those jokers make lol.
Tbh it seems that the main issues for now are a so-so human plot and a somewhat fast pacing. Other than that, nothing particularily concerning for now. Gotta wait for more reviews and see the movie for ourselves tho.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri May 24, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

ceeboogie wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:So I've seen people scaling the Titans in power level, something like this.

Ghidorah 10
Godzilla 9 (12 fire Godzilla)

Rodan 8
Mothra 6

Mutos 5/6

So, where does 2014 Godzilla fall into here? The Mutos gave Godzilla a fight. I'd think that Godzilla would be a 7/8 if the Mutos are 5/6? Is there a canonical explanation as to why Godzilla is more powerful at baseline here?

Could it be that 2014 Godzilla just woke up etc? Based off the scaling, it seems KotM Rodan could handle 2014 Godzilla
Remember, it was 2 against one with the Muto's..... They were no match for him one on one. The male had a chance because he could fly around but the female got overpowered from the beginning...

2014 Godzilla was weakened by the EMP of M.U.T.O's. At least her atomic breath was weakened.

Muto Prime is superior than Godzilla. This type of M.U.T.O killed Dagon without difficulty and almost kill Godzilla. Monarch helped Godzilla against him.

With the last TV spot, I'm surprised with the size of Mothra. She is very small. I can't see her as superior to the male MUTO.
Last edited by BrazilianKaiju on Fri May 24, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

BrazilianKaiju wrote:
ceeboogie wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:So I've seen people scaling the Titans in power level, something like this.

Ghidorah 10

Rodan 8
Mothra 6

Mutos 5/6

So, where does 2014 Godzilla fall into here? The Mutos gave Godzilla a fight. I'd think that Godzilla would be a 7/8 if the Mutos are 5/6? Is there a canonical explanation as to why Godzilla is more powerful at baseline here?

Could it be that 2014 Godzilla just woke up etc? Based off the scaling, it seems KotM Rodan could handle 2014 Godzilla
Remember, it was 2 against one with the Muto's..... They were no match for him one on one. The male had a chance because he could fly around but the female got overpowered from the beginning...

2014 Godzilla was weakened by the EMP of M.U.T.O's. At least her atomic breath was weakened.

Muto Prime is superior than Godzilla. This type of M.U.T.O killed Dagon without difficulty and almost kill Godzilla. Monarch helped Godzilla against him.

With the last TV spot, I'm surprised with the size of Mothra. She is very small. I can't see her as superior to the male MUTO.
The MUTOs EMP does not weaken Godzilla. That is just some dumb misconceptions fans took from the novelization because they couldn’t accept that Godzilla’s breath wasn’t a beam. Even then from the novelization it was something the Male Muto could do to shut off the atom breath, not weaken it.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

Which is superflippin cool and totally should have been exploited in the film. I remember hearing about that and being disappointed that it never made it into the movie.
Last edited by Shin Gabara on Fri May 24, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . .

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Here’s something I’m surprised no one has asked yet: does the Argo survive? Some of the shots (namely the entire cast packed into an Osprey at the end, as seen in the most recent TV spot) seem to imply that it gets downed at some point. We see it getting flown into battle against Ghidorah in the Boston battle in the IMAX trailer, and later we see it when Ghidorah unleashed his wing lightning; does it get zapped down in this scene?
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Dv-218 wrote:
G2000 wrote:

Hit the nail on the head. I somewhat understood with 2014, with how the cutaways were handled and the pacing perhaps (though I disagree). But here? Literally no excuse. Tbh it does start to seem like some of those people legit just want a monster only movie, with humans being sidelined or not involved at all. I'd personally ignore any "criticism" in that particular regard that those jokers make lol.
Tbh it seems that the main issues for now are a so-so human plot and a somewhat fast pacing. Other than that, nothing particularily concerning for now. Gotta wait for more reviews and see the movie for ourselves tho.
They pacing in the final battle could've been slower but it's still exciting

Added in 1 minute 12 seconds:
G2000 wrote:Here’s something I’m surprised no one has asked yet: does the Argo survive? Some of the shots (namely the entire cast packed into an Osprey at the end, as seen in the most recent TV spot) seem to imply that it gets downed at some point. We see it getting flown into battle against Ghidorah in the Boston battle in the IMAX trailer, and later we see it when Ghidorah unleashed his wing lightning; does it get zapped down in this scene?
I believe so I don't remember it getting destroyed
Last edited by Godzilla2000Zero on Fri May 24, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

alicio245
Ronin

Post by alicio245 »

the end credits got leaked on youtube not going to link it but it's not hard to find

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Ben Shapiro wrote:For those who’ve seen the movie, how many times do Godzilla and Mothra interact? Like how often are they on screen together?

Is she with him when he’s revived? Does she fly in with him when he’s arriving in Boston?
Mothra arrives in Boston a little later than Godzilla she spits silk at Ghidorah trapping two of his heads at the side of a building allowing Godzilla to tackle him. Later after Ghidorah drops Godzilla from the sky Ghidorah gets ready to strike Godzilla while he's down Mothra crawls on Godzilla and spreads her wings to shield Godzilla and she lunges for Ghidorah but the gravity beams obliterate her leaving her energy that Godzilla absorbs
Mothra leads Monarch to where Godzilla is but disappears after that
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Viento Norte wrote:"Just relax Rodan!" :lol:

Rodan: Come on baby, don’t be a prude...

Mothra: No means no! (slap)
Last edited by Monster X on Fri May 24, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Ghidorah 10

Rodan 8
Mothra 6

Mutos 5/6

Godzilla in KOTM is definitely stronger than his 2014 self, you'll know what I mean when you see the movie. I think it's because he's bigger and he's more "juiced up", even from the beginning of the film.

Added in 2 minutes 27 seconds:
Re: Godzilla ² General Discussion [SPOILERS
Tyrant28 wrote:Isn’t Godzilla before being revived a separate power scale? Wouldn’t he pretty much just be G14 in the Antartica and Mexico fight? Godzilla’s strength in G14 is kinda hard to measure considering most of the time he’s fighting two opponents vs just Ghidorah. With flying enemies he has difficulty, so Rodan definitely has the advantages over G14 especially with him being faster and more aggressive. Though G14 is more better with an opponent his mass seeing how he completely wreak shop with a one on one fight with the Female.

So G14/PreNuked G19 a 7?
No, he's much more powerful than 2014 in the Antarctica Battle too. He moves a lot faster, and his atomic breath is a powerful beam rather than the whiffy-kinda thing it was in 2014

Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan are pretty even I guess. Mothra lags behind in physical combat but she has her sting to make up for it. Godzilla becomes a bit stronger than the rest when he's overcharged. Ghidorah is on par with overcharged Godzilla but he can power himself up, so he's more powerful in the long run.

Depends on where they fight though, Godzilla is very powerful underwater, more so than he is on land.

Added in 6 minutes :
BrazilianKaiju wrote:
ceeboogie wrote:

Ghidorah 10

Rodan 8
Mothra 6

Mutos 5/6

Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan are pretty even I think. Mothra lags behind the other two in physical combat but she has her sting to make up for it. Godzilla gets a bit more powerful than the rest when he's overcharged by the nuke. Ghidorah, for the most part, is as powerful as overcharged Godzilla, but he's able to power himself up so he's more powerful in the long run.

It depends on where they fight though, Godzilla is very powerful underwater.

MUTO prime isn't superior than Godzilla. She didn't kill Dagon for one thing, she just knocked him down and planted her eggs inside him. The eggs leached off Dagon's radiation which slowly drove him to his deathbed.

She tried to do that with Godzilla too, she just stunned/injured him and tried to lay her eggs inside him. She got totally wrecked when Godzilla was given a chance to get back up, so I wouldn't say she's superior to Godzilla. Plus if Godzilla was like his 2019 self I doubt he would have gotten beaten down by Prime in the first place.

Added in 10 minutes 31 seconds:
G2000 wrote:

You probably shouldn't expect unanimous praise. It's a simple but fun blockbuster movie, like Aquaman and Pacific Rim 1. I imagine 8 out of 10 people would like it, which would be more or less same with critics as well.
Last edited by Vandarker on Fri May 24, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Honestly, given how "dumb fun" movies tend to score in the 70's (See Jurassic World and PR1 for examples) I'd expect round the same
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Honestly, given how "dumb fun" movies tend to score in the 70's (See Jurassic World and PR1 for examples) I'd expect round the same
Yeah, that's pretty much correct. Simple story, great visuals and fun action. And the story isn't Rampage-level dumb nor is it falling apart like BvS.

GhidorahLives
Ronin

Post by GhidorahLives »

For the folks that have seen KOTM. When I looked closely at the final trailer (Somewhere Over the Rainbow) it looked like there was a scene in which Ghidorah is bringing Godzilla to the upper atmosphere but it looked to me liked Godzilla whiped him with his tail and then Ghidorah dropped him. Maybe what I saw was not that scene, but does Ghidorah purposely drop Godzilla or does Godzilla do something that causes Ghidorah to drop him?

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

GhidorahLives wrote:For the folks that have seen KOTM. When I looked closely at the final trailer (Somewhere Over the Rainbow) it looked like there was a scene in which Ghidorah is bringing Godzilla to the upper atmosphere but it looked to me liked Godzilla whiped him with his tail and then Ghidorah dropped him. Maybe what I saw was not that scene, but does Ghidorah purposely drop Godzilla or does Godzilla do something that causes Ghidorah to drop him?
The tail slap is from when they fight on the ground.

Ghidorah purposefully drops Godzilla, he doesn't let go because Godzilla fights him or anything. It's because Godzilla is already unconscious by the time they reach the upper atmosphere, because Ghidorah strangled him with his tails.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does Mothra get a epic entrance in Boston?
And also how much of Mothra on Rodan action to we actually get?
Last edited by Troyal1 on Fri May 24, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Troyal1 wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but does Mothra get a epic entrance in Boston?
Yes Mothra dives bombs towards Ghidorah
about 2 mins worths but it's fast paced and exciting

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Troyal1 wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but does Mothra get a epic entrance in Boston?
Mothra literally explodes out of the sky, punching a hole in the clouds accompanied by a ray of light. It's pretty epic.

After Mothra gets intercepted by Rodan and they face each other, most of the fighting is done in the background. But we get a close-up uninterrupted action sequence when Mothra struggles against Rodan trying to kill her, leading up to the stinger scene.
Last edited by Vandarker on Fri May 24, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scandisk_
Ronin

Post by scandisk_ »

Hi guys, newbie here.

A question for Vandarker: How does Godzilla scale next to Ghidorah? 'Cause from the concept arts and SHMA figures, Ghidorah really towered over Godzilla (like it's not even close), but in the trailers they're kinda comparable size-wise/body mass.

Thank you!
Last edited by scandisk_ on Fri May 24, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.