What is Godzilla? His species?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What is Godzilla? His species?

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Eh, I always liked the idea of him being mysterious, like maybe he is some living spirit from Odo Island.

One of the things I enjoyed greatly from the anime is how they explained him, but they really didn't.

Edit: Thought this was in the general Toho films, lol my bad.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Fri May 17, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

A Titanus Gojira.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Living Corpse wrote:A Titanus Gojira.
Yes, but what is a _Titanus Gojira_? ;)

I’m glad they gave Godzilla’s species a binomial name for once. Calling Godzilla “a Godzilla” just feels awkward, it’s like calling Garfield “a Garfield” instead of a cat or Sonic “a Sonic” instead of a hedgehog. Like, “Godzilla” should be the name of an individual, not of an entire species.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Fri May 17, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Gerdzerl wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:A Titanus Gojira.
Yes, but what is a _Titanus Gojira_? ;)

I’m glad they gave Godzilla’s species a binomial name for once. Calling Godzilla “a Godzilla” just feels awkward, it’s like calling Garfield “a Garfield” instead of a cat or Sonic “a Sonic” instead of a hedgehog. Like, “Godzilla” should be the name of an individual, not of an entire species.
this is the name of the individual and not the name of the species

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Would it be possible to ret-con Godzilla as a dinosaur and that the one skeleton form the Philippines had a slightly deformed skull that made it look like it was a synapsid, or is the Legendary Godzilla being a synapsid a bit too set in stone for it to be ret-conned?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Would it be possible to ret-con Godzilla as a dinosaur and that the one skeleton form the Philippines had a slightly deformed skull that made it look like it was a synapsid, or is the Legendary Godzilla being a synapsid a bit too set in stone for it to be ret-conned?
To late for that besides I like the idea of Godzilla as a unique species that diffcult to place in the family tree.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Regardless of wheather or not he is a Synapsid, he is definitely no dinosaur. Anatomical features and the time his species supposedly evolved at simply don't match.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Would it be possible to ret-con Godzilla as a dinosaur and that the one skeleton form the Philippines had a slightly deformed skull that made it look like it was a synapsid, or is the Legendary Godzilla being a synapsid a bit too set in stone for it to be ret-conned?
To late for that besides I like the idea of Godzilla as a unique species that diffcult to place in the family tree.

I do too. Simple, yet different.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:

I do too. Simple, yet different.
Yep many Titans are freaks of nature some are easier to classify other defy what we currently know
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

I like to think Godzilla and all the other monsters are just one big species called Titans, like the Nightbreed, just a motley crew of “things” that have all banded together as a clan.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Fri May 24, 2019 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
any animal of natural origin should be classified according to Earth standards. titans of natural origin, they are not mutants

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Not sure if they’re animals either since they all seem to have a certain level of human-like intelligence. They seem to recognize people and cities as things they must co-exist peacefully with and protect.
Spoiler:
by the end of GKOTM, the new Titans set out to restore the planet from deforestation and pollution by purifying the land and sea.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Fri May 24, 2019 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Can we even say that he and the other Titans are a species?
There are a few ways to define a species, but the easiest for living organisms is that they can reproduce and make fertile offspring. Now, we know of two Titanus gojira, so they are. Mothra seems to come from an egg in this universe, so it seems she is. But the others?
Also, putting them all in the same genus is complicated but likely incorrect, unless all titans are genetically related.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Ben Shapiro wrote:Not sure if they’re animals either since they all seem to have a certain level of human-like intelligence. They seem to recognize people and cities as things they must co-exist peacefully with and protect.
Spoiler:
by the end of GKOTM, the new Titans set out to restore the planet from deforestation and pollution by purifying the land and sea.
high intelligence doesn't make them animals? Human also has a high intelligence, but systematics he is an animal. And other real animals too have intelligence approaching the level of human intelligence. dogs, dolphins, monkeys, elephants
Last edited by Olzh26 on Fri May 24, 2019 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I wonder if the Titans are even native to Earth and evolved here? Maybe they were brought to the planet eons ago or created by something/someone.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

It's like a whale and a gorilla had a baby :).

It probably came from the hollow earth where most of the titan species originated from, the ecology there would be way different than the surface and the living condition is perfectly suited for creating titan sized creatures that redefines the limits of carbon based organisms.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

What you have with these titans seems to be an totally unheard of situation, where surviving members of totally unrelated species from completely different era's of earth's history have been able to form a beneficial and stable ecosystem among themselves. The only uniting factors are radiation and their longevity, possibly biological immortality. That's likely due to the fact they use such a resource as Gamma Radiation.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

I prefer to think he's just a giant radioactive dinosaur, since dinosaurs are something I cherish and having a giant hero that happens to be an overpowered dinosaur is just too badass to me.
Last edited by AllosaurHell on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

AllosaurHell wrote:I prefer to think he's just a giant radioactive dinosaur, since dinosaurs are something I cherish and having a giant hero that happens to be an overpowered dinosaur is just too badass to me.
Unfortunately, he is not a dinosaur as it precedes them.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Olzh26 wrote:
AllosaurHell wrote:I prefer to think he's just a giant radioactive dinosaur, since dinosaurs are something I cherish and having a giant hero that happens to be an overpowered dinosaur is just too badass to me.
Unfortunately, he is not a dinosaur as it precedes them.
Whose to say he isn't the first dinosaur and dinosaurs succeeded him?
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse