The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Gothicserpent »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Vandarker wrote:How big of a threat is Dark Pheonix? I'm actually more worried about that than Aladdin
Not much. Secret Life of Pets 2 is the bigger threat, I think, despite the different audiences. The buzz surrounding Dark Phoenix has been very negative for months, there's a decent chance Dark Phoenix opens at #3 that weekend depending on how well KOTM does and what sort of decline it sees between OW and Week 2. There's been a lot of talk in recent weeks that it may be the first X-Men movie to open below $50 Million.
I haven't heard much of SLOP2 beyond a trailer tbh, the first film did well because it had 0 competition. I think this one will do half what the first did.
It's Illumination. It will make bank sadly.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

neo kaijubait
Samurai

Re: The Godzilla: King of the Monsters Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by neo kaijubait »

Aladdin currents sits at either 60% (fresh) or 59% (rotton) on RT, depending on the time of day...

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:I guess I am curious to see if he's going to stick to his guns and not see the movie based on all the terrible things he's hearing. Or if he's just complaining for nothing and is planning on seeing the movie
I'd just leave it alone at this point
I am. I am 99% sure he will see it despite all the unnecessary complaining
He might as well he may be surprised there's a distinct difference between reading leaks and watching the film
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Vandarker wrote:How big of a threat is Dark Pheonix? I'm actually more worried about that than Aladdin
DP is probably Godzilla's biggest threat, sure it will make a dent in the States, but DP is projected to do really well in China.

I think at this point Aladdin doesn't look to be a threat much anymore. Rocketman, though taking some premium screens away from Godzilla, will not affect it too much, and Secret Life of Pets 2 so far isn't tracking well. So DP might end up be Godzilla's biggest rival. Just my opinion of course.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Not much. Secret Life of Pets 2 is the bigger threat, I think, despite the different audiences. The buzz surrounding Dark Phoenix has been very negative for months, there's a decent chance Dark Phoenix opens at #3 that weekend depending on how well KOTM does and what sort of decline it sees between OW and Week 2. There's been a lot of talk in recent weeks that it may be the first X-Men movie to open below $50 Million.
I haven't heard much of SLOP2 beyond a trailer tbh, the first film did well because it had 0 competition. I think this one will do half what the first did.
It's certainly possible, but we'll have to see. I'd be very happy if it underperformed - if SLOP2 doesn't beat KOTM in Week 2, then KOTM will probably have two weeks at #1.

Added in 1 minute 10 seconds:
AtomicMorningBreath wrote:
DP is probably Godzilla's biggest threat, sure it will make a dent in the States, but DP is projected to do really well in China.

I think at this point Aladdin doesn't look to be a threat much anymore. Rocketman, though taking some premium screens away from Godzilla, will not affect it too much, and Secret Life of Pets 2 so far isn't tracking well. So DP might end up be Godzilla's biggest rival. Just my opinion of course.
It'll be very interesting. You could have a situation where KOTM beats DP in North America, while Dark Phoenix beats KOTM in China that weekend.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

If Dark Phoenix opens up to below $50 Mill, say like $45-$48 Mill with mixed reviews, Aladdin opens to $70-$80 Mill with mostly negative reviews and Rocketman opens to $28-$40Mill with positive reviews, while KOTM opens to like a $75 to $90 Mill with rave reviews and a constant #1 spot. I'd say it'll have successfully overcome, a Disney film, a Marvel film and a Musical biopic... That's no small feat to scoff at.

Do we know DPs estimated opening in China?

Last I heard KOTM is the highest at $70+ Mill
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu May 23, 2019 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

KOTM's china opening could easily be higher from what I've heard.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I think its gonna open bigger in China than US. I predict $100 million plus in China.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Godzilla21 wrote:I think its gonna open bigger in China than US. I predict $100 million plus in China.
Considering the bitter feud that Japan and China still have (It's been around since 1931 via Japan taking over Manchuria), it really is going to be interesting to see how much of China is willing to pay for a movie that has a Japanese icon-which as also become something of one here in the U.S.A.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:I think its gonna open bigger in China than US. I predict $100 million plus in China.
Considering the bitter feud that Japan and China still have (It's been around since 1931 via Japan taking over Manchuria), it really is going to be interesting to see how much of China is willing to pay for a movie that has a Japanese icon-which as also become something of one here in the U.S.A.
Well they did pay a handsome amount for G14. The Chinese love giant monsters these days. National sentiments don't really matter if something is really popular.
Last edited by Vandarker on Thu May 23, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Vandarker wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Well they did pay a handsome amount for G14. The Chinese love giant monsters these days. National sentiments don't really matter if something is really popular.
I don't think it will really be a problem for the financial success of the film. Anime and other forms of Japanese pop culture are popular (especially among the youth) in China.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

G2000 wrote: Like what exactly didn't you like about it? Genuinely curious because I personally think it's on par with most of the franchise plot-wise and isn't any worse than most other big blockbusters in the past few years - it definitely sounds better than G14 or K:SI, and from the reactions I've seen so far most agree

I get everything is a matter of opinion, but I really don't see a lot of the objections you seem to have.
I'm hesitant to go into details since this isn't the spoiler thread, and I won't be able to post in the actual spoiler thread itself, since I've been avoiding it since the summer. I already accidentally spoiled the entire story to myself with the leaks and I'm doing everything in my power not to spoil myself any further.

It's also, mercifully, been a while since last summer and my memory on the details of some events have faded, so bear with me that this is going off the biggest offenders still in my memory: the stuff I'm expecting the fans to hate if they make it into the final film. My memory also may not be (and hopefully isn't) 100% accurate to the leaks.

But here are some of the things that put me off:

WARNING: MAJOR POTENTIAL SPOILERS IN THIS TAG.
Spoiler:
– The first, and perhaps the biggest issue for me in the leaks, was the movie turning Serizawa – the guy named after the character who has to live with the horror of accidentally developing a super weapon and, after finally being persuaded to use it just once in an emergency, kills himself to prevent it from ever being used again – into a super-weapon-happy maniac setting off nuclear bombs and oxygen destroyers without care or hesitation to save the world. If it plays out in the movie as it did here in the leaks, it'll be a real slap in the face given what the franchise is supposed to be about. It's as bad as Dimension Tide in Godzilla vs Megaguirus, made worse by the fact that this guy is actually named Serizawa. If it plays out this way in the film as it did with the leaks, without any hesitation from the characters or exploring the potential consequences, it'll be more disrespectful to the series than anything G98 ever did.

Major one out of the way, let's move onto the much less important, but still pretty disappointing or flat out *weird* parts I remember from the leaks.

– The story itself plays out like a bad fanfic. The human characters stay in the Orca for the vast bulk of the movie's runtime, traveling from place to place to watch the fights. No drama with them whatsoever, they just stay in the damn ship talking with each other and commenting on the monsters the entire time. Random references to the series are haphazardly introduced as plot points, like oxygen destroyers, without any sense of build up, nor are they every brought up again. The leaks, based off my memory of them, were just a series of "stuff happening" without any rhyme or reason.
– The movie seems to be slightly mysogynistic, as the main female lead is given the moniker of "The Bitch" the entire movie. Sure, she's an antagonist, but it's still eyebrow raising. Especially for what I think is a PG-13 movie.
– Rodan is treated pretty terribly. He's introduced as "the bitch of the other monsters" and spends the whole movie either getting his ass beat so bad that it's describes that the other three monsters are "making him their bitch" or teaming up with fucking Ghidorah of all things. He basically has Gigan's role for reasons I can't comprehend: a non-threatening, comic relief cowardly sidekick to the villain. Considering how many people are still expecting a GTTHM remake, or even just people who are excited to see Rodan back in all his glory, they're going to be pretty disappointed.
– Godzilla kills Ghidorah by unhinging his jaw like Orga and swallowing him whole. Fucking wHAT? It's "justified" because Ghidorah can regenerate his heads or something.
– The INFAMOUS "Kaiju Bowing" scene. For those not in the know, the movie takes a sharp turn at the end and starts trying to be The Lion King.
Now before I get a myriad of typical snarky responses, let me make one thing clear.

I do NOT want to hate this movie. I would LOVE to be proven wrong. I really wish I could be excited and hyped and amped up like everyone else. More than anything else I wish I had NEVER read those leaks. I had mistaken them for another batch of silly "fake leaks" written by a troll to be read for a laugh. It wasn't until the trailer confirmed their authenticity that I realized my mistake.

I wish I had NEVER read those leaks. I wish I hadn't inadvertently spoiled the ENTIRE movie to myself, a movie that I have been waiting for since fucking 2009, a full year before its release. I wish those leaks hadn't made me give up on hope for the film being decent because of how awful they sounded. I wish I could just take it all back, forget I ever read them, and enjoy being caught up in the hype like everyone else. A year ago this would have been my most anticipated movie EVER, and I can't put into words how much it sucks to feel like this, and to have been spoiled the entire film.

I admit, maybe I'm still bitter about that. Maybe I'm still a bit pissed off about being spoiled. Maybe I'm still in denial. Maybe that's feeding into my dislike of the leaks. It's possible. Maybe even likely.

Anyway, well, there's your answer. Apologies for the long-winded response.

And apologies to anyone else in this thread that I may or may not have annoyed with my fears over the past few months.
Godzilla21 wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Kaiju-King42 are you planning on seeing the movie?

Last I heard he's already decided that it sucks and is just gonna get the soundtrack, and it doesn't sound like he's had a change of heart.
I guess I am curious to see if he's going to stick to his guns and not see the movie based on all the terrible things he's hearing. Or if he's just complaining for nothing and is planning on seeing the movie
I don't know, guys.

The soundtrack will be released tomorrow. If it's good enough, maybe it will convince me to open my mind and give it a shot.

More importantly though, the critics will be giving their thoughts on the movie soon enough, probably this weekend if I had to guess. I'm not expecting it to do well, but... if it surprises me, if it actually makes it above 70%... then maybe that's a sign that either the leaks weren't accurate, or they weren't as awful as I had been imagining.

I haven't yet bought a ticket, but I guess, depending on how things go next weekend, I might. There's a reason I'm still avoiding spoilers.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu May 23, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Spoiler:
– Godzilla kills Ghidorah by unhinging his jaw like Orga and swallowing him whole. skreeonking wHAT? It's "justified" because Ghidorah can regenerate his heads or something.
what the absolute shit are you talking about
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I'm 99% sure that moniker was something that the leaker alone used to refer to that character, I seriously doubt it's in the film.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Thu May 23, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
G2000 wrote: Like what exactly didn't you like about it? Genuinely curious because I personally think it's on par with most of the franchise plot-wise and isn't any worse than most other big blockbusters in the past few years - it definitely sounds better than G14 or K:SI, and from the reactions I've seen so far most agree

I get everything is a matter of opinion, but I really don't see a lot of the objections you seem to have.
I'm hesitant to go into details since this isn't the spoiler thread, and I won't be able to post in the actual spoiler thread itself, since I've been avoiding it since the summer. I already accidentally spoiled the entire story to myself with the leaks and I'm doing everything in my power not to spoil myself any further.

It's also, mercifully, been a while since last summer and my memory on the details of some events have faded, so bear with me that this is going off the biggest offenders still in my memory: the stuff I'm expecting the fans to hate if they make it into the final film. My memory also may not be (and hopefully isn't) 100% accurate to the leaks.

Spoiler:
– The first, and perhaps the biggest issue for me in the leaks, was the movie turning Serizawa – the guy named after the character who has to live with the horror of accidentally developing a super weapon and, after finally being persuaded to use it just once in an emergency, kills himself to prevent it from ever being used again – into a super-weapon-happy maniac setting off nuclear bombs and oxygen destroyers without care or hesitation to save the world. If it plays out in the movie as it did here in the leaks, it'll be a real slap in the face given what the franchise is supposed to be about. It's as bad as Dimension Tide in Godzilla vs Megaguirus, made worse by the fact that this guy is actually named Serizawa. If it plays out this way in the film as it did with the leaks, without any hesitation from the characters or exploring the potential consequences, it'll be more disrespectful to the series than anything G98 ever did.

Major one out of the way, let's move onto the much less important, but still pretty disappointing or flat out *weird* parts I remember from the leaks.

– The story itself plays out like a bad fanfic. The human characters stay in the Orca for the vast bulk of the movie's runtime, traveling from place to place to watch the fights. No drama with them whatsoever, they just stay in the damn ship talking with each other and commenting on the monsters the entire time. Random references to the series are haphazardly introduced as plot points, like oxygen destroyers, without any sense of build up, nor are they every brought up again. The leaks, based off my memory of them, were just a series of "stuff happening" without any rhyme or reason.
– The movie seems to be slightly mysogynistic, as the main female lead is given the moniker of "The skreeonk" the entire movie. Sure, she's an antagonist, but it's still eyebrow raising. Especially for what I think is a PG-13 movie.
– Rodan is treated pretty terribly. He's introduced as "the skreeonk of the other monsters" and spends the whole movie either getting his ass beat so bad that it's describes that the other three monsters are "making him their skreeonk" or teaming up with skreeonking Ghidorah of all things. He basically has Gigan's role for reasons I can't comprehend: a non-threatening, comic relief cowardly sidekick to the villain. Considering how many people are still expecting a GTTHM remake, or even just people who are excited to see Rodan back in all his glory, they're going to be pretty disappointed.
– Godzilla kills Ghidorah by unhinging his jaw like Orga and swallowing him whole. skreeonking wHAT? It's "justified" because Ghidorah can regenerate his heads or something.
– The INFAMOUS "Kaiju Bowing" scene. For those not in the know, the movie takes a sharp turn at the end and starts trying to be The Lion King.
Now before I get a myriad of typical snarky responses, let me make one thing clear.

I do NOT want to hate this movie. I would LOVE to be proven wrong. I really wish I could be excited and hyped and amped up like everyone else. More than anything else I wish I had NEVER read those leaks. I had mistaken them for another batch of silly "fake leaks" written by a troll to be read for a laugh. It wasn't until the trailer confirmed their authenticity that I realized my mistake.

I wish I had NEVER read those leaks. I wish I hadn't inadvertently spoiled the ENTIRE movie to myself, a movie that I have been waiting for since skreeonking 2009, a full year before its release. I wish those leaks hadn't made me give up on hope for the film being decent because of how awful they sounded. I wish I could just take it all back, forget I ever read them, and enjoy being caught up in the hype like everyone else. A year ago this would have been my most anticipated movie EVER, and I can't put into words how much it sucks to feel like this, and to have been spoiled the entire film.

I admit, maybe I'm still bitter about that. Maybe I'm still a bit pissed off about being spoiled. Maybe I'm still in denial. Maybe that's feeding into my dislike of the leaks. It's possible. Maybe even likely.

And apologies to anyone else in this thread that I may or may not have annoyed with my fears over the past few months.
Godzilla21 wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
Last I heard he's already decided that it sucks and is just gonna get the soundtrack, and it doesn't sound like he's had a change of heart.
I guess I am curious to see if he's going to stick to his guns and not see the movie based on all the terrible things he's hearing. Or if he's just complaining for nothing and is planning on seeing the movie
I don't know, guys.

The soundtrack will be released tomorrow. If it's good enough, maybe it will convince me to open my mind and give it a shot.

More importantly though, the critics will be giving their thoughts on the movie soon enough, probably this weekend if I had to guess. I'm not expecting it to do well, but... if it surprises me, if it actually makes it above 70%... then maybe that's a sign that either the leaks weren't accurate, or they weren't as awful as I had been imagining.

I haven't yet bought a ticket, but I guess, depending on how things go next weekend, I might. There's a reason I'm still avoiding spoilers.
Having seen the movie myself I can tell you that thoses leak are somewhat off at best and complete bullshit at worst. Give it a chance you might enjoy it
Last edited by Godzilla2000Zero on Thu May 23, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The score is out on Youtube by the way.

In case you wanted to taste the forbidden fruit.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu May 23, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Aladdin's audience score is 90 percent on RT, apparently the audience liked it according to them, though it's hard to trust them after the whole Captain Marvel fiasco.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Vandarker wrote:Aladdin's audience score is 90 percent on RT, apparently the audience liked it according to them, though it's hard to trust them after the whole Captain Marvel fiasco.
How much of the GA actually gave it a rating lol?

EDIT: 29 apparently.

vs

172 getting it down to 59%

I guess we shall see
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu May 23, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I'm hesitant to go into details since this isn't the spoiler thread, and I won't be able to post in the actual spoiler thread itself, since I've been avoiding it since the summer. I already accidentally spoiled the entire story to myself with the leaks and I'm doing everything in my power not to spoil myself any further.

Spoiler:

– The movie seems to be slightly mysogynistic, as the main female lead is given the moniker of "The Bitch" the entire movie. Sure, she's an antagonist, but it's still eyebrow raising. Especially for what I think is a PG-13 movie.
– Rodan is treated pretty terribly. He's introduced as "the bitch of the other monsters" and spends the whole movie either getting his ass beat so bad that it's describes that the other three monsters are "making him their bitch" or teaming up with fucking Ghidorah of all things. He basically has Gigan's role for reasons I can't comprehend: a non-threatening, comic relief cowardly sidekick to the villain. Considering how many people are still expecting a GTTHM remake, or even just people who are excited to see Rodan back in all his glory, they're going to be pretty disappointed.
– Godzilla kills Ghidorah by unhinging his jaw like Orga and swallowing him whole. Fucking wHAT? It's "justified" because Ghidorah can regenerate his heads or something.

I wish I had NEVER read those leaks. I wish I hadn't inadvertently spoiled the ENTIRE movie to myself, a movie that I have been waiting for since fucking 2009, a full year before its release. I wish those leaks hadn't made me give up on hope for the film being decent because of how awful they sounded. I wish I could just take it all back, forget I ever read them, and enjoy being caught up in the hype like everyone else. A year ago this would have been my most anticipated movie EVER, and I can't put into words how much it sucks to feel like this, and to have been spoiled the entire film.

Godzilla21 wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
I don't know, guys.

I'm kind of at a loss of words as to how to even respond to that. Having seen the movie already, all I can say without going into spoilers is that those descriptions WILDLY, MALICIOUSLY, and INSULTINGLY misrepresent the film. I know they're not your words, but whoever wrote that is misleading you by leaving out important details or straight up describing things incorrectly.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Thu May 23, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

That literally sounds nothing like the leaks at all. Unhinge his jaw? Where did you even read that?