King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gojira18 wrote:Does Mothra have her more traditional Showa roar too, like in the ORCA marketing?
Yes. She has several different calls that I can remember, at least one of which sounded a lot like her more traditionally roar.

The best way I can describe Rodan, Ghidorah, and Mothra's roars are "Showa-like, but way deeper".

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:Does Mothra have her more traditional Showa roar too, like in the ORCA marketing?
Yes. She has several different calls that I can remember, at least one of which sounded a lot like her more traditionally roar.

The best way I can describe Rodan, Ghidorah, and Mothra's roars are "Showa-like, but way deeper".
Rodan and Ghidorah have their traditional sounds as well?

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

So does the fighting cut away to the human characters in the middle of the fight, or is the camera angle and cinematography just simply from a ground level perspective?

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

How was the cinematography of this movie and how is it compared to G14?
Long Live The King

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Hokmuto wrote:How was the cinematography of this movie and how is it compared to G14?
It's G14 one steroids ultimately a much bigger film that many will enjoy

Added in 59 seconds:
MorgolKing wrote:So does the fighting cut away to the human characters in the middle of the fight, or is the camera angle and cinematography just simply from a ground level perspective?
Both
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:How was the cinematography of this movie and how is it compared to G14?
Dope, were there plenty of easter eggs planted that could potentially play out in future films?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

_JNavs_ wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Dope, were there plenty of easter eggs planted that could potentially play out in future films?
Yes including some things abkut Skull Island Kong is actually mentioned alot
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

MorgolKing wrote:So does the fighting cut away to the human characters in the middle of the fight, or is the camera angle and cinematography just simply from a ground level perspective?
Like I said, the intercutting between the human action and the monsters is more like what we're used to from the Japanese films. If what you're asking is "Is there another Godzilla vs. Muto in Hawaii again?", then no there isn't that.

The first fight between Godzilla and Ghidorah is VERY reminiscent of the first fight between Gamera and Legion in Gamera 2, if that helps clarify. There's a lot of monster action here, some of it is seen from the human perspective (comparable to Gamera vs. Legion in G2 or Gamera vs. Gyaos in G3, IMO) and some of it is from the monsters' perspective.
There's some similarities to G'14 and K:SI, in how when you see the monsters you SEE them and when we're focusing on the monsters you get good solid shots with clear action. No shaky cam or blurry messes with the action, the only time you see anything like that is a couple of points when following the humans when they're trapped in the middle of the fight.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Pkmatrix wrote:
Like I said, the intercutting between the human action and the monsters is more like what we're used to from the Japanese films. If what you're asking is "Is there another Godzilla vs. Muto in Hawaii again?", then no there isn't that.

The first fight between Godzilla and Ghidorah is VERY reminiscent of the first fight between Gamera and Legion in Gamera 2, if that helps clarify. There's a lot of monster action here, some of it is seen from the human perspective (comparable to Gamera vs. Legion in G2 or Gamera vs. Gyaos in G3, IMO) and some of it is from the monsters' perspective.
There's some similarities to G'14 and K:SI, in how when you see the monsters you SEE them and when we're focusing on the monsters you get good solid shots with clear action. No shaky cam or blurry messes with the action, the only time you see anything like that is a couple of points when following the humans when they're trapped in the middle of the fight.
Utimately the pacing is faster but still enjoyable and epic sometimes a little too fast but just a nitpick

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gojira18 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:

I too would like to know this.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

Are you guys going to see it again?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:

Ghidorah roar is similar with cackles but that's about it Rodan's is pretty different kinda more similar to Angurius

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gojira18 wrote:Rodan and Ghidorah have their traditional sounds as well?
Kaiju-King42 wrote: I too would like to know this.
Like I said, they sound similar but are WAY deeper in tone. Listen for them especially for those two when they each first roar, I think you'll understand what I mean then. Like, if the traditional roars were trumpets, these are tubas. Not quite sure how else to describe it.
MorgolKing wrote:Are you guys going to see it again?
Absolutely. I've already bought another ticket, I'll be seeing it again next Thursday. :)

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

MorgolKing wrote:Are you guys going to see it again?
Gotta support the box office so yeah I'll probably enjoy the pacing better second time

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Utimately the pacing is faster but still enjoyable and epic sometimes a little too fast but just a nitpick
Yep. I didn't mind myself. :)

It's definitely fast paced, faster than either of the other two MonsterVerse movies, so if you liked the slower paces of G'14 and K:SI be prepared for that. The best comparison for the pacing is probably The Avengers or a movie like that.

Gyaos
Samurai

Post by Gyaos »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Gojira18 wrote: Rodan and Ghidorah have their traditional sounds as well?
Ghidorah roar is similar with cackles but that's about it Rodan's is pretty different kinda more similar to Angurius
Rodan sounds like Anguiras?

Good grief, what’s the point of the director saying they had their classic roars? Why lie?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Lmfao... It's gotta be like a parody account

He said all the kaiju have their classic roars. He related Rodans roar to Anguirus' due to being deeper in tone.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Gyaos wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

Good grief, what’s the point of the director saying they had their classic roars? Why lie?
How scandalous!!!!
Long Live The King

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Pkmatrix wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Utimately the pacing is faster but still enjoyable and epic sometimes a little too fast but just a nitpick

It's definitely fast paced, faster than either of the other two MonsterVerse movies, so if you liked the slower paces of G'14 and K:SI be prepared for that. The best comparison for the pacing is probably The Avengers or a movie like that.
Yep overall everybody at my screening loved it and clapped twice and I did too certainly worth the 5 year wait

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:
Hokmuto wrote:
Gyaos wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:

How scandalous!!!!
Rodan and Angurius have always sounded similar to me not a big deal.lol

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gyaos wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

Another point where I'm going to disagree with Godzilla2000zero: Rodan sounds NOTHING like Anguirus. Rodan's roar in KOTM sounds like if you took Showa Rodan and gave him a super-deep voice. He only does the classic style warble a couple of times, the main one I remember being when he first emerges from the volcano.

Added in 1 minute 22 seconds:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:

Yep overall everybody at my screening loved it and clapped twice and I did too certainly worth the 5 year wait
Same! People applauded and cheered a bunch of times throughout the movie. :D