King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by Gojira18 »

Hokmuto wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:Would you say the human characters are interesting enough to forgive these cutaways?
Yes I was invested in them but I feel that G14 and Kong did it better as far that is concerned
G14 and KSI had better characters? Hmmm....you must be an outlier then lol, no offense at all by the way.
I think he means the way they cut away, he preferred.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Hokmuto wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:Would you say the human characters are interesting enough to forgive these cutaways?
Yes I was invested in them but I feel that G14 and Kong did it better as far that is concerned
G14 and KSI had better characters? Hmmm....you must be an outlier then lol, no offense at all by the way.
No just the human shot were more spaced out in those I felt that KOTM had the best characters
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: Yes I was invested in them but I feel that G14 and Kong did it better as far that is concerned
No just the human shot were more spaced out in those I felt that KOTM had the best characters
Ah, okay. Understood.
Long Live The King

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: Yes I was invested in them but I feel that G14 and Kong did it better as far that is concerned
So how many post credit scenes were there? And were they worth the wait?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

_JNavs_ wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Hokmuto wrote: G14 and KSI had better characters? Hmmm....you must be an outlier then lol, no offense at all by the way.
Besides the montage at the end with is similar to the beginnigs of G14 and Kong there is one that sets up the human conspiracy in Godzilla vs Kong but nothing spectacular
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: No just the human shot were more spaced out in those I felt that KOTM had the best characters
Besides the montage at the end with is similar to the beginnigs of G14 and Kong there is one that sets up the human conspiracy in Godzilla vs Kong but nothing spectacular
So it's safe to say the human conspiracy is definitely kaiju related?

I've heard people assume all types of things about the conspiracy

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Just got back home from the theater, I loved EVERY SECOND of this! :D I give it a solid A. I liked it more than G'14 (which I liked quite a lot), but I'm undecided whether or not I liked it more than Kong: Skull Island. Will need to digest it more.

1. Of the human cast: Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga, Millie Bobby Brown, Charles Dance, Ken Watanabe, and Sally Hawkins are wonderful as expected. Bradley Whitford is the comic relief and REALLY funny IMO. ^_^

2. Of the monster cast: everybody gets a moment to shine, though I think everyone when they see it will agree that maybe a little more for Mothra couldn't have hurt. The audience I was with seemed to really love all of them though, a lot of cheering for Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra. :)

3. If you were disappointed about "cutting away" in G14, I think you'll be satisfied here. The intercuts between human and monster action is more like we're used to in Toho films, with long stretches with the monsters (of which we get a LOT), scenes with the monster action in the background (or the humans literally trapped in the middle of it), and a handful of human/kaiju interaction scenes (all of which I felt were handled very well). While G'14 was like Godzilla through the lens of an American disaster movie, KOTM is like Godzilla through the lens of a Marvel-style Action-Adventure event film.

4. THE MUSIC. Godzilla and Mothra's themes are very prominent, immediately recognizable. There were a couple of other tracks that sounded like they could be Ifukube-based, but I wasn't sure...in particular, I thought I heard at least a little bit of Rodan's theme when he first emerges from the volcano. What made me smile just was wide, though, was the track from G'54 that plays when the fighter jets attack Godzilla is played here when the military attacks Ghidorah. :D

5. The credits are done in the style of the MonsterVerse openings (with the news clippings) and gives some pretty big hints as to where they may be going with these films. In particular, I think it does a pretty decent job setting up for Godzilla vs. Kong and explaining why that's the story that comes next. I've no idea where they're going with that Post-Credit scene though (yes, there is one).

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Pkmatrix wrote:Just got back home from the theater, I loved EVERY SECOND of this! :D I give it a solid A. I liked it more than G'14 (which I liked quite a lot), but I'm undecided whether or not I liked it more than Kong: Skull Island. Will need to digest it more.

1. Of the human cast: Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga, Millie Bobby Brown, Charles Dance, Ken Watanabe, and Sally Hawkins are wonderful as expected. Bradley Whitford is the comic relief and REALLY funny IMO. ^_^

2. Of the monster cast: everybody gets a moment to shine, though I think everyone when they see it will agree that maybe a little more for Mothra couldn't have hurt. The audience I was with seemed to really love all of them though, a lot of cheering for Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra. :)

3. If you were disappointed about "cutting away" in G14, I think you'll be satisfied here. The intercuts between human and monster action is more like we're used to in Toho films, with long stretches with the monsters (of which we get a LOT), scenes with the monster action in the background (or the humans literally trapped in the middle of it), and a handful of human/kaiju interaction scenes (all of which I felt were handled very well). While G'14 was like Godzilla through the lens of an American disaster movie, KOTM is like Godzilla through the lens of a Marvel-style Action-Adventure event film.

4. THE MUSIC. Godzilla and Mothra's themes are very prominent, immediately recognizable. There were a couple of other tracks that sounded like they could be Ifukube-based, but I wasn't sure...in particular, I thought I heard at least a little bit of Rodan's theme when he first emerges from the volcano. What made me smile just was wide, though, was the track from G'54 that plays when the fighter jets attack Godzilla is played here when the military attacks Ghidorah. :D

5. The credits are done in the style of the MonsterVerse openings (with the news clippings) and gives some pretty big hints as to where they may be going with these films. In particular, I think it does a pretty decent job setting up for Godzilla vs. Kong and explaining why that's the story that comes next. I've no idea where they're going with that Post-Credit scene though (yes, there is one).
How would you rate the human characters from best to worst?
Was the 2014 roar in the film?
Was their a sufficient sense of weight?

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

Can you guys comment on whether it maintains the serious tone and tension from the first movie? Also were you able to see the kaiju clearly in the dark/rainy scenes?

Godzilla2000Zero - sorry I missed it, but what were some the negatives for you? It cut away from the fighting too much?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Definitely hyped about all of this.

When you say big hints as to where they may be going next, are the newspaper clippings particularly only aimed at GvK?

Or are the clippings more varied in nature, and could lead into a bunch of different stories?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

MorgolKing wrote:Can you guys comment on whether it maintains the serious tone and tension from the first movie? Also were you able to see the kaiju clearly in the dark/rainy scenes?

Godzilla2000Zero - sorry I missed it, but what were some the negatives for you? It cut away from the fighting too much?
It's a nice mix of Kong and G14 and yes the fights are clear just mostly shot from the perspective of the human characters the fights are most spaced out in Kong and G14 but again a minor nitpick
Godzilla's roar is a mix of 2014 and classic Showa
Last edited by Godzilla2000Zero on Wed May 22, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gojira18 wrote:How would you rate the human characters from best to worst?
Hm...

Well, there was no character I didn't like, if that's what you're getting at. ^^;

Of the main cast: Chandler, Watanabe, Farmiga, Brown, Dance, and Hawkins in that order. Dance and Hawkins are only so far down because their parts were a lot smaller than I expected (it makes sense to me now why Hawkins wasn't all over the advertising considering The Shape of Water) but are wonderful when they are there. Of the more minor characters, I think the standouts were Aisha Hinds and O'Shea Jackson Jr., who serve basically the role David Straithairn did in G'14 (though Straithairn's character is back as well - he's fine, but it's a pretty small part, IMO). As I said earlier, Bradley Whitford is really funny as the comic relief. Ziyi Zhang is good too, and her part gets bigger as the film goes on. I look forward to seeing her again in GvK, I think she has potential to really become a cool character. :)

Both the 2014 roar and the classic roar, or at least a version of the classic roar, are both in the film. They kind of expand Godzilla's vocalizations a bit, you can buy that the classic roar and 2014 roar are different ends of the same spectrum.

And yes, I felt there was absolutely a sufficient sense of weight.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Hm...

Well, there was no character I didn't like, if that's what you're getting at. ^^;

Of the main cast: Chandler, Watanabe, Farmiga, Brown, Dance, and Hawkins in that order. Dance and Hawkins are only so far down because their parts were a lot smaller than I expected (it makes sense to me now why Hawkins wasn't all over the advertising considering The Shape of Water) but are wonderful when they are there. Of the more minor characters, I think the standouts were Aisha Hinds and O'Shea Jackson Jr., who serve basically the role David Straithairn did in G'14 (though Straithairn's character is back as well - he's fine, but it's a pretty small part, IMO). As I said earlier, Bradley Whitford is really funny as the comic relief. Ziyi Zhang is good too, and her part gets bigger as the film goes on. I look forward to seeing her again in GvK, I think she has potential to really become a cool character. :)

Both the 2014 roar and the classic roar, or at least a version of the classic roar, are both in the film. They kind of expand Godzilla's vocalizations a bit, you can buy that the classic roar and 2014 roar are different ends of the same spectrum.

Thank God. If they removed the 2014 roar, I would've been disappointed

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Gojira18 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Hm...

4 times from what I remember

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Hm...

How was Middleditch?
Long Live The King

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Hm...

4 times from what I remember
Never have I breathed a larger sigh of relief

Added in 42 seconds:
You know when in those 4 times?
Last edited by Gojira18 on Wed May 22, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
MorgolKing wrote:Can you guys comment on whether it maintains the serious tone and tension from the first movie? Also were you able to see the kaiju clearly in the dark/rainy scenes?

It's a nice mix of Kong and G14 and yes the fights are clear just mostly shot from the perspective of the human characters the fights are most spaced out in Kong and G14 but again a minor nitpick

Sorry, what do you mean the fights are most spaced out in Kong and G14?

So the one is between the seriousness of G14 and cheekiness of Kong?

What were the aspects of the movie that you didn't like?

Thanks for taking questions!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I think the tone here is probably closer to Kong: Skull Island than G'14. Maybe somewhere in between, but leaning more toward K:SI IMO.

And yes, you could see very clearly. Surprisingly so, honestly. ^^;
_JNavs_ wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:
Definitely hyped about all of this.

When you say big hints as to where they may be going next, are the newspaper clippings particularly only aimed at GvK?

Or are the clippings more varied in nature, and could lead into a bunch of different stories?
They're more varied. The clippings in the end credits are serving more as an overall epilogue to the film, giving an idea of what happens to all the monsters and how the world is handling the events the film. Some, I think, hint at possible future movies but quite a few are clearly setting up for GvK and establishing what I suspect the main plot will be, why Godzilla and Kong will fight, etc.

Added in 3 minutes 44 seconds:
Hokmuto wrote: How was Middleditch?
He's the other comic relief character. He's fine, though his quips aren't quite as funny as Whitford's.
Gojira18 wrote:You know when in those 4 times?
I wasn't keeping track of that sort of thing, but if you saw the trailers one of them is in there: when Godzilla arrives for the final battle.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

MorgolKing wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:

Sorry, what do you mean the fights are most spaced out in Kong and G14?
The pacing is faster in the final battle than I expected most of the battle is shot from the humans perspective which was nice but could've been paced better but overall spectacular

So the one is between the seriousness of G14 and cheekiness of Kong?

What were the aspects of the movie that you didn't like?
Pacing but just a nitpick
Thanks for taking questions!
Welcome

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Does Mothra have her more traditional Showa roar too, like in the ORCA marketing?