King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Gojira18 wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Is Rodan a stand out favorite? As a matter of fact, did each of the main Kaiju get their times to shine?
All four are given there deserved screentime and Rodan certainly impressed me the most

The cast in general was good not great I did love Mark Russell though he's my favorite and Stanton and Coleman were surprisingly good and funny moreso on Stanton.
How was Millie Bobbie Brown and Vera Farmiga?
They were good especially Millie but Kyle Chandler to me was the real hero of the film. Vera I thought was good you could really emote with her and almost understand why she is the way she is easily the best female protagonist in the Monsterverse
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:The weight is definitely there and so is the huge size most of it is shot from a human perspective like Gareth did.
Is Rodan a stand out favorite? As a matter of fact, did each of the main Kaiju get their times to shine?
All four are given there deserved screentime and Rodan certainly impressed me the most

The cast in general was good not great I did love Mark Russell though he's my favorite and Stanton and Coleman were surprisingly good and funny moreso on Stanton.
Did any of the acting measure up to Bryan Cranston's Joe Brody in G14?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: All four are given there deserved screentime and Rodan certainly impressed me the most

They were good especially Millie but Kyle Chandler to me was the real hero of the film. Vera I thought was good you could really emote with her and almost understand why she is the way she is easily the best female protagonist in the Monsterverse
How was Charles Dance?
Long Live The King

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: All four are given there deserved screentime and Rodan certainly impressed me the most

How's Charles Dance and Ken Watanabe?
Do they at least show a lot of the fighting BEFORE cutting away?

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

A 7/10 isn't horrible by any means, but I'm curious, what's your reasoning for your rating?
Last edited by Moogabunga on Wed May 22, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Gyaos wrote:7/10 from a huge Godzilla fan isn't that encouraging.
It's not the Dark Knight of kaiju movies but it is a very fun, enjoyable ride. Just don't go in expecting everything to be perfect.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Moogabunga wrote:A 7/10 isn't horrible by any means, but I'm curious, what's your reasoning for your rating?
His reasoning is that they cut too much from the action in his view.
Long Live The King

Gyaos
Samurai

Post by Gyaos »

_JNavs_ wrote:Wow the pessimism from this one^
If you give the movie a 7/10 after you see it, that won't be a bit disappointing to you after all the hype and buildup?

I'm a big GOT fan and that's what I would probably give the final season and it's kind of a "meh" feeling.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Charles Dance was good he and his team were surprisely threatening, ruthless and violent just think modern Red Bamboo
Ken was easily the most I can relate to being and Godzilla very much the same man he was in G14
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Hokmuto wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:A 7/10 isn't horrible by any means, but I'm curious, what's your reasoning for your rating?
Considering he is seemingly the only person to make this a big deal, I'm not too concerned about it

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Moogabunga wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
Considering he is seemingly the only person to make this a big deal, I'm not too concerned about it
But at the same time he said they each got their deserved amounts of screen time?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Moogabunga wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:
Don't get me wrong I loved the action was just expecting it to be more like a Toho film but again it's not a major issue just a nitpick

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:
Hokmuto wrote: His reasoning is that they cut too much from the action in his view.
Don't get me wrong I loved the action was just expecting it to be more like a Toho film but again it's not a major issue just a nitpick
A ton (practically all) of the Toho films cut back to human characters...
I don't know, I can't see it be as jarring as you're making it out to be since you're pretty much the first person to harp on this...but who knows, maybe I agree with you completely in 8 days

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Moogabunga wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Moogabunga wrote: Considering he is seemingly the only person to make this a big deal, I'm not too concerned about it
I don't know, I can't see it be as jarring as you're making it out to be since you're pretty much the first person to harp on this...but who knows, maybe I agree with you completely in 8 days
Like I said it's subjective depends on what you want outta it

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: Don't get me wrong I loved the action was just expecting it to be more like a Toho film but again it's not a major issue just a nitpick
Like I said it's subjective depends on what you want outta it
How long would you estimate each fight is? Discounting the cutting away

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Moogabunga wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Moogabunga wrote: Considering he is seemingly the only person to make this a big deal, I'm not too concerned about it
It is more frequent than an average Toho Godzilla film, possibly feels like it's even more frequent then it actually is, cause a good portion of the fight scenes is shot from the human perspective with the kaiju in the background. With tokusatsu you don't really get that shot.
Last edited by Vandarker on Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

2 mins Antarctica
Rodan vs Ghidorah about 1:50
Godzilla vs Godzilla about 2 mins
Final Battle all together about 10 mins

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
Vandarker wrote:
Moogabunga wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote: Don't get me wrong I loved the action was just expecting it to be more like a Toho film but again it's not a major issue just a nitpick
It is more frequent than an average Toho Godzilla film, possibly feels like it's even more frequent then it actually is, cause a good portion of the fight scenes is shot from the human perspective with the kaiju in the background. With tokusatsu you don't really get that shot.
Pretty much my thoughts but it those let you appreciate the scales of the battle will definitely grow on me in second viewing

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Would you say the human characters are interesting enough to forgive these cutaways?

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Gojira18 wrote:Would you say the human characters are interesting enough to forgive these cutaways?
Yes I was invested in them but I feel that G14 and Kong did it better as far that is concerned

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:Would you say the human characters are interesting enough to forgive these cutaways?
Yes I was invested in them but I feel that G14 and Kong did it better as far that is concerned
G14 and KSI had better characters? Hmmm....you must be an outlier then lol, no offense at all by the way.
Long Live The King