KingGoji and Oxygen Destroyer in GVB.

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

KingGoji and Oxygen Destroyer in GVB.

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I noticed in the Return of Godzilla thread there is a debate of whether or not Return of Godzilla is even a sequel to the original film. Many pointed out that other then a singular photo, there’s reallt no conclusive proof that it’s a sequel.

Something weird I noticed though, is a King Goji statue and an Oxygen Destroyer figure right behind Gondo, in Godzilla vs Biollante. Obviously it would be ridiculous to say that Godzilla vs Biollante takes place in the showa cannon, but what about some modified version? How do you explain the Kinrg Goji?

Skip to 15 if you’re interested.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: KingGoji and Oxygen Destroyer in GVB.

Post by eabaker »

I don't interpret Godzilla suit designs as being strictly what Godzilla "really" looks like at that moment in each movie (the same way that one doesn't assume that, say, a Bruce Willis character actually looks like Bruce Willis). If so, that would mean that Godzilla's appearance radically transforms periodically. A Godzilla suit is a representation for the audience's benefit.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Ever since I first noticed it in that scene, I thought the Oxygen Destroyer was an in-joke. Like, Gondo’s trying to devise an anti-Godzilla strategy and in his office is the one anti-Godzilla device that unquestionably worked better than any of the others.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

It was just a net easter egg for fans to notice.

In-universe: I think the statue is just a statue with liberties taken in how Godzilla looks

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:I don't interpret Godzilla suit designs as being strictly what Godzilla "really" looks like at that moment in each movie (the same way that one doesn't assume that, say, a Bruce Willis character actually looks like Bruce Willis). If so, that would mean that Godzilla's appearance radically transforms periodically. A Godzilla suit is a representation for the audience's benefit.
That would actually sort of coincide with the `photo` of Godzilla from 1954(the one of his head on the mountain) which is clearly not a photo of the suit. It also explains a lot. But that`s the boring and dull explanation!
Terasawa wrote:Ever since I first noticed it in that scene, I thought the Oxygen Destroyer was an in-joke. Like, Gondo’s trying to devise an anti-Godzilla strategy and in his office is the one anti-Godzilla device that unquestionably worked better than any of the others.
Upon watching GvB Gondo became one of my favorite characters, so I like that explanation.

It raises the question of whether the Oxygen Destroyer is cannon, or widely known in the Heisei series. Obviously Godzilla Vs. Destroyah makes an explicit reference to it, but I mean in the context of RoG and GvB. I can believe that if it was used in RoG, under the pretense that yeah RoG is a sequel, that the Oxygen Destroyer is known as the weapon that killed Godzilla, but what it even looks like is completely unknown. I find a prop of the oxygen destroyer much stranger then the concept of people knowing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.