Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I don't think Mothra vs Godzilla recieves enough praise.
How times have changed.

In the 90s, I'd say that the Western fandom consistently praised this movie for all the things you cite, and it was often held up as on par with - sometimes even above - the original film.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The filmmaking on display is arguably as good as the original but the themes never resonated with me as much. It's a wonderful film on it's own right, I place it right there with Shin as the second best films in the franchise.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The only people I've seen very critical of MVG (and this isn't a dig at anyone) are younger fans who like the flashier more monster fight heavy films.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I don't think Mothra vs Godzilla recieves enough praise.
How times have changed.

In the 90s, I'd say that the Western fandom consistently praised this movie for all the things you cite, and it was often held up as on par with - sometimes even above - the original film.
I feel like it still receives tons of praise, as the posts above mine illustrate, and I often see it on “best of” lists (and in my mind deservedly so). I wouldn’t say that it doesn’t get the praise it deserved by a long shot.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

gOdZiLlA lOsEs To TwO wOrMs

Maybe he means it doesn’t receive the same sort of deep critical analysis that G54 does, which I think is pretty true.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah MvG I feel like normally gets plenty of praise, plus there's plenty of pretty cool fights to soothe the "Mah Monster Mash" crowd.

The way the film blends the corporate greed/magical aspects of the OG Mothra and the radioactivity aspects of the OG Gojira is pretty well done.

But it's definitely not as deep in themes as Gojira was.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun May 19, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Honestly I find Mothra vs. Godzilla okay. Just okay.
Last edited by Dracosaurian on Sun May 19, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Terasawa wrote:gOdZiLlA lOsEs To TwO wOrMs

Maybe he means it doesn’t receive the same sort of deep critical analysis that G54 does, which I think is pretty true.
Yeah, this is what I was going for. Good discussion from everyone though, and I think it's theme about how we don't need a reason to help everyone is simple yet effective.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Godzillian wrote:I actually really like the anime Ghidorah
Upon further retrospection, I actually somewhat agree with this. Granted, I may like the Showa and Millennium versions more, but I still believe Anime Ghidorah was quite interesting, at the very least. I quite liked the more Lovecraftian approach to his design; it truly makes him appear to be a planetary threat, with it emerging from singularities, and distorting time and space with its mere presence. I understand why many dislike this incarnation of Ghidorah, but as a one-off redesign... I like it for for what it is, and believe it fits well in the Anime universe.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

No longer see Ford in the same bright as I used to being boring and such. He's IMO still a flawed character who had potential but not as bad as I used to make him out to be. One thing the film should had also done was have Joe live and join his son on his adventure or die in third act or final climax.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Joe and Serizawa would've made for a great combo on the ship, if Ford died in the third act during the Egg explosion scene, that would've been iconic.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote:Joe and Serizawa would've made for a great combo on the ship, if Ford died in the third act during the Egg explosion scene, that would've been iconic.
Could've perhaps had some drama between him and Joe in regards to what to do about these creatures. Have Joe reach an end to his arc and give something for Serizawa to talk about besides Godzilla restoring balance.

Also, you seem to be calling a lot of things iconic lately. :lol: I'm not sure if Ford dying in the eggsplosion would've worked, mainly because it would've reduced the human element in the third act to a flat 0 when it was already about a 2.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Joe and Serizawa would've made for a great combo on the ship, if Ford died in the third act during the Egg explosion scene, that would've been iconic.
Could've perhaps had some drama between him and Joe in regards to what to do about these creatures. Have Joe reach an end to his arc and give something for Serizawa to talk about besides Godzilla restoring balance.

Also, you seem to be calling a lot of things iconic lately. :lol: I'm not sure if Ford dying in the eggsplosion would've worked, mainly because it would've reduced the human element in the third act to a flat 0 when it was already about a 2.
Yeah I have been using that term often lately :lol: , I think it's because I recently watched Godzilla 1954 for the first time since I was little yesterday, so seeing all the little things in that film used throughout the entirety of the franchise really gave me this idea of,
if you create something new, bold and different, it could be used for years and years, eventually making it "iconic".

So like, if I use it when mentioning something within the Monsterverse, it's because these are things that haven't been done exactly like it previously and will potentially be used again down the line, For example, someone's son heroically dying in the third act while his father has to watch his son sacrifice himself, that'd be new (kinda), different and likely emotional for a franchise like Godzilla.

The Kaiju of course being the exception since they're are commonplace in the franchise, but what they do, how they behave and what they look like could be majorly different.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun May 19, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think the purpose of Joe's death was to remind Ford that he had his own family he had to go take care of. But for several reasons it didn't work very well in the film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote:I think the purpose of Joe's death was to remind Ford that he had his own family he had to go take care of. But for several reasons it didn't work very well in the film.
I thought he fainted when I first saw it, so the fact that he died off screen really bugged me.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I for one think it would had been more tragic and great character development for Joe if it was Ford that died during the first M.U.T.O. attack. Imagine the emotion of him having to tell his daughter-in-law and grandson that his son and their husband/father is dead and in the process becoming more determine to stop the M.U.T.O.'s and saving his grandson while Joe and Serizawa has a bit of an rivalry of their views towards how the outcome should go.

Either that or again Joe joining Ford either surviving or dying until the third act/climax I would had really liked though at the same time there was more they could had done with Ford that was potentially missed IMO like I said.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun May 19, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: in the process becoming more determine to stop the M.U.T.O.'s while Joe and Serizawa has a bit of an rivalry of their views towards how the outcome should go.
But they both want the MUTOs stopped, what would the rivalry even be about?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

UltramanGoji wrote:But they both want the MUTOs stopped, what would the rivalry even be about?
Serizawa's whole "let them fight" whereas Joe wants them killed right away ASAP. Should had been more clear on that.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:But they both want the MUTOs stopped, what would the rivalry even be about?
Serizawa's whole "let them fight" whereas Joe wants them killed right away ASAP. Should had been more clear on that.
I don't think that would be very compelling, honestly.

The whole "Joe focusing on the cover-up of Janjira" feels like it could've been expanded much more. Maybe they should've gone with a lone Joe somehow believing Godzilla was the cause for the incident, harboring an Ahab-like hatred and then half-way through the film the MUTOs turn out to be the culprit.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

UltramanGoji wrote:I don't think that would be very compelling, honestly.

The whole "Joe focusing on the cover-up of Janjira" feels like it could've been expanded much more. Maybe they should've gone with a lone Joe somehow believing Godzilla was the cause for the incident, harboring an Ahab-like hatred and then half-way through the film the MUTOs turn out to be the culprit.
That would work. More the reason such a rivalry between them could had worked.