Godzilla: Aftershock, a prequel graphic novel to KOTM

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla: Aftershock, a prequel graphic novel to KOTM

Post by Tyrant28 »

Honestly it’s leaning more to the latter, something you don’t need to seek out but if you happen to find it then sure pick it up. It’s more of setting up for KOTM than explaining the world of the MonsterVerse. Though it gives a bit of neat information and history of the MUTOs role in the past and their relationship with both Godzilla’s kind and humanity.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Ngl, I actually love how they expanded upon the MUTOs and their effects on ancient civilizations/rivalry with Godzilla's species here. Makes them an actual established threat within the Monsterverse, and not just one-off antagonists for the first movie. I just wish their lifecycle wasn't such a mess :lol:

Also, while I dig the overall design of the MUTO prime, that face just doesn't look right. Almost uncanny valley territory lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat May 11, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

An alright read. Neat to see some of the concepts they'll introduce to KOTM and an expansion on the Muto and history of the world. I preferred Awakening though but still I'd say its worth a read for fans.
Fun fact: it establishes that multiple Godzillas have existed throughout history instead of just one single individual

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I love how I pre-order this thing, and then Amazon's all like "sorry you ain;t getting it till the day before the movie comes out lol" meanwhile everyone gets theirs now from the store. Guess MUTO Prime is getting a late MONARCH File video.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Living Corpse wrote:I love how I pre-order this thing, and then Amazon's all like "sorry you ain;t getting it till the day before the movie comes out lol" meanwhile everyone gets theirs now from the store. Guess MUTO Prime is getting a late MONARCH File video.
Cancel from Amazon and order from Barnes and Nobles.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun May 12, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Is there an Ebook version at Barnes and Nobles?

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Vakanai wrote:For those who have read it, without spoiling it, how good is it? "Must read" or just "meh alright if you got money to spend and time to kill"?
It's really short, way too short IMO. That being said I did enjoy quite a bit. The artwork is LEAGUES better than the art for Awakening and the MUTO Prime is pretty cool monster. It does set some characters and ideas up for KOTM as well. It's not essential but I would recommend it.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Both Awakening and Aftershock go by quick because you’re enjoying what you’re reading. They’re fun reads. I’d rather have a graphic novel like this than a 5 comic book run every month like they did with Kong.

Anyway. Get the book! Barnes and noble does have it in stock even if they aren’t out on the shelf. I simply ask a employee to check the back since the website said they had some. Good read and a great continuation of G14.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

Can I get it online in ebook format?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Shadowfyre wrote:Can I get it online in ebook format?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=godzilla+aftershoc ... ook+format

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Pretty cool trailer for a comic.

Even with the comics they put the humans in the thumbnail instead of the real stars, the monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Intum2G12Ws

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

So nobodies gonna post the entire thing on here?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Shadowfyre wrote:So nobodies gonna post the entire thing on here?
Lol find a torrent. Don't rely on discussion boards for paid content.

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

Im gonna buy it. Just dont wanna wait till then

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Shadowfyre wrote:Im gonna buy it. Just dont wanna wait till then
Sure you were. Go to one of the many sites you can read comics on. No, I won't give you any links to them

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

Would you guys have preferred if we got a comic that is just straight up set in ancient times and showed how those old civilizations interacted with the Titans, ala Rage Across Time? Like, it would've been cool to see human sacrifices made to Rodan on the steps of Mesoamerican pyramids and temples.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:Would you guys have preferred if we got a comic that is just straight up set in ancient times and showed how those old civilizations interacted with the Titans, ala Rage Across Time? Like, it would've been cool to see human sacrifices made to Rodan on the steps of Mesoamerican pyramids and temples.
Maybe not a comic, but more of a Graphic Novel.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

Nah. Think what you want, Im gonna pick that up and im not sure about the novel, but I dont get paid till the first so we will see.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

TheInfiniteAeon wrote:Would you guys have preferred if we got a comic that is just straight up set in ancient times and showed how those old civilizations interacted with the Titans, ala Rage Across Time? Like, it would've been cool to see human sacrifices made to Rodan on the steps of Mesoamerican pyramids and temples.
Nah, what we got is fine since it connects to the films. Again this Rodan Aztec thing you're really keen on isn't a story. It's worth maybe a page of flashback in comics or a throw away line from a character

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I've heard that they're already planning a movie about that.