Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Honestly, when all is said and done... I dislike this film, but not to the level many others tend to. Sure, Godzilla's new suit is rather lame, Minilla talking was completely unnecessary, Gabara is likely among the worst monsters introduced to the franchise, and the overall production of the film comes across as rather crude... but even with all of that said, there is minor entertainment value in this film, if for the wrong reasons. Even if this film may be among the worst produced in the franchise, it at least has the advantage of being entertaining, if nothing else.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The Baranosdragon wrote:Godzilla's new suit is rather lame
There was no new suit made for this movie. What little new fx footage they filmed used the suit from DAM.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Speaking of suits, this would technically be the film with the largest amount of distinct designs used to represent a single Godzilla (NankaiGoji, SoshingekiGoji, MusukoGoji).

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

eabaker wrote:
The Baranosdragon wrote:Godzilla's new suit is rather lame
There was no new suit made for this movie. What little new fx footage they filmed used the suit from DAM.
Oh, it was? My mistake.

Correction: I am not a fan of SoshingekiGoji, and wish they had used a new design (outside of stock footage). I suppose that was a symptom of tighter budgets.
Last edited by The Baranosdragon on Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:Speaking of suits, this would technically be the film with the largest amount of distinct designs used to represent a single Godzilla (NankaiGoji, SoshingekiGoji, MusukoGoji).
What about Godzilla vs. Gigan? Soshingeki and Musuko in new footage plus Daisenso and Mosu in stock footage.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Speaking of suits, this would technically be the film with the largest amount of distinct designs used to represent a single Godzilla (NankaiGoji, SoshingekiGoji, MusukoGoji).
What about Godzilla vs. Gigan? Soshingeki and Musuko in new footage plus Daisenso and Mosu in stock footage.
Oh damn, you're right. Totally forgot about the Daisenso footage in Gigan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Oh damn, you're right. Totally forgot about the Daisenso footage in Gigan.
I just realized there are also four in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla: MogeGoji, RadoGoji, and BatoGoji in new footage and BioGoji in stock footage.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Can anyone do 5? :)
Last edited by Zarm on Thu May 16, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Zarm wrote:Can anyone do 5? :)
Godzilla final wars takes the cake if you count the opening credits ;)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
The intro sequence to the American cut of Terror of Mechagodzilla technically uses footage of almost every Showa suit from 1964-1975.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Stumbled upon this great video, definitely worth watching.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:

Stumbled upon this great video, definitely worth watching.
Absolutely fantastic. First off, great effects, and I like the little skit surrounding it; works well as a satire of the film but also does not take away from the actual criticism.

Second, analysis is fantastic. One thing I’d like to talk about, is that while yes bullying is a stereotypical trope of modern media, particularly from the 90’s onwards, I think during its run it was rare, and very similar to the film that is mentioned, but also a bunch of other films I’ve seen like Good Morning/Ohayou. Also, while I used to criticism the films message on bullying from a western perspective, I now see it as really uplifting and cathartic.

Thanks for showing me this video.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
The intro sequence to the American cut of Terror of Mechagodzilla technically uses footage of almost every Showa suit from 1964-1975.
Shouldn't that be 1964-1974?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

mikelcho wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Godzilla final wars takes the cake if you count the opening credits ;)
Shouldn't that be 1964-1974?
TOMG came out in 1975?
Unless what you mean is that the suit is the same.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Which it isn’t.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho is right though, the quote was “the intro sequence... uses footage of almost every Showa suit from 1964-1975.” The intro has no new original footage of the ‘75 costume.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:mikelcho is right though, the quote was “the intro sequence... uses footage of almost every Showa suit from 1964-1975.” The intro has no new original footage of the ‘75 costume.
Ah okay, I get what you mean.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

The review makes some pretty good points, and I have always said that AMA is a well crafted film. But for me the latchkey kid storyline has always feel short, even when watching it subtitled. When I was a kid I think Godzilla Revenge would be about the only movie I would skip watching on TV. As for the stock footage it is probably the most creative use, and makes since in an age before home media was even a possibility.

He also brings up the comparison to stock footage use in Godzilla Vs Gigan. Which is actually the total opposite for me, I like the character story, and really don't like the kaiju battles.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

That was a really nice video, glad I finally got the time to watch it. Thanks G&W.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:mikelcho is right though, the quote was “the intro sequence... uses footage of almost every Showa suit from 1964-1975.” The intro has no new original footage of the ‘75 costume.
Please, guys, call me Mike. Everyone does.