Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Your fears for Godzilla King of the Monsters

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla 1986 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
gottatalktothefake wrote: Without spoiling anything: Don't worry about that
Without spoiling anything: You should be very worried.
Without spoiling anything: If you're expecting a GTTHM remake, worry. If you're worried about Rodan/Mothra screentime, worry slightly but not excessively.
Without spoiling anything: Fair enough.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

My fear is that the "17...and counting" line used in the trailers and TV spots is misleading. People have been interpreting it as meaning there are going to be 17 total monsters in this movie. That is so unprecedented though. That is more than either Destroy All Monsters or Final Wars. It would be a lot of monsters to pack in one movie. Also a bunch of original monsters to create.

I'm thinking that "17...and counting" line is taken out of context and I don't want people to feel ripped off if there aren't actually 17 total kaiju in the movie.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Gojira-Fan wrote:My fear is that the "17...and counting" line used in the trailers and TV spots is misleading. People have been interpreting it as meaning there are going to be 17 total monsters in this movie. That is so unprecedented though. That is more than either Destroy All Monsters or Final Wars. It would be a lot of monsters to pack in one movie. Also a bunch of original monsters to create.

I'm thinking that "17...and counting" line is taken out of context and I don't want people to feel ripped off if there aren't actually 17 total kaiju in the movie.
“17 and counting” almost certainly refers to total Titan count, but it probably doesn’t mean that 17 show up overall in the movie (and if they do it might just be a brief flash on a monitor or file footage or what have you)
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have compiled a list of factors that could potentially ruin the film for many people, us included :
Spoiler:
1. Kaiju bowing.
2. Cringe-worthy humor littered throughout.
3. Bland characters.
4. Ham-fisted environmental message
5. Godzilla's atmospheric drop not leading directly to a K-T extinction-type event.
6. The relatively grounded-tone of the first two films being thrown out the window.
7. The whole experience being just a little too hokey for the GA to swallow.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon May 06, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

LegendZilla wrote:I have compiled a list of factors that could potentially ruin the film for many people, us included :
Spoiler:
1. Kaiju bowing.
3. Bland characters.
5. Godzilla's atmospheric drop not leading directly to a K-T extinction-type event.
6. The relatively grounded-tone of the first two films being thrown out the window.
Some of those things can ruin the film but number 5? Haha, no.
Long Live The King

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

LegendZilla wrote:I have compiled a list of factors that could potentially ruin the film for many people, us included :
Spoiler:
1. Kaiju bowing.
3. Bland characters.
I legit had to reread number 5 to assure that my brain isn't messing with me. Come on dude, you gotta be shitting. I have heard of mindnumbling and straight up idiotic complaints in my lifetime, but this truly is new level :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon May 06, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Spoiler:
1. Kaiju bowing.
3. Bland characters.
Keep in mind the asteroid that caused the KT extinction was about 6 miles wide, otherwise I definitely share these fears to varying degrees.
Spoiler:
1. The bowing thing will have to be earned through suspension of disbelief. Steven Spielberg says that audiences wouldn’t have believed the climax of Jaws if it weren’t for the rest of the movie easing them into it.
2. This is probably my biggest concern for the whole movie. Modern action films tend to treat everything like some kind of big joke; they don’t have the self-respect to take things seriously for more than 5 minutes. If Godzilla: King of the Monsters has the tone it really needs to have, it will be an outlier on the modern blockbuster landscape.
3. This is why the quality of the acting will be so important. Nobody has any complex motivations, nor should we expect them to, but that means they need to come off as interesting and fun to watch.
4. My concern here is that Emma is going to be too on-the-nose with her exposition about saving the environment, and then the whole environmental theme will kind of dissolve by the third act. Really it should be more subtle and run throughout the movie, but I highly doubt that level of nuance survived the editing process.
6. Godzilla 2014 has a grounded set of events and directing style, resulting in a very realistic tone. Kong has a more fantastical color palette and still fairly grounded set of events. But the directing style makes it feel a bit ridiculous. Godzilla: King of the Monsters seems to be going for a fantastical color palette AND set of events, so I really hope we don’t get too much crazy directing (slow-mo, swooping camera, etc).
7. I didn’t really share this concern until I saw Godzilla’s nuclear pulses resembling Mothra’s silhouette. It’s already quite a lot to ask audiences to accept the idea that a powdered Mothra corpse can suddenly heal a Godzilla that just fell literal MILES (mending broken bones? Ruptured organs?). I know it’s just a visual easter egg, but to have Mothra’s shape manifest in Godzilla’s attacks... yeah, that’s just too much.
Last edited by LockBite on Tue May 07, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Right now my biggest fear is me getting into a car accident or some other catastrophe before I get to see the movie.

Can it just be here...like NOW!

I feel like Tweak from South Park. Just sitting here, twitching, and losing my mind.
Last edited by GojiDog on Tue May 07, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Can someone clarify for me whether the GA are clowns who go for movies with loads of goofy humor and nothing being taken seriously, or unimaginative dullards who can only stomach movies that are totally serious and realistic and don't do neat or interesting visuals for their own sake? I'm getting mixed messages
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Can someone clarify for me whether the GA are clowns who go for movies with loads of goofy humor and nothing being taken seriously, or unimaginative dullards who can only stomach movies that are totally serious and realistic and don't do neat or interesting visuals for their own sake?
Yes. The answer is yes.

warman222
G-Force Personnel

Post by warman222 »

The GA basically have no sense of nuance in their opinions and collectively quite dumb or at least very blunt. Both stereotypes said above are valid lol. a good example of how the GA thinks is Angry Joe. His film opinions are very basic and often dumb and just... not accurate, but do reflect how the GA act a lot of the time. Or alternatively look at his hatedom every time his film reviews cause backlash. Either gives passable examples
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Spoiler:
1. Kaiju bowing.
3. Bland characters.
2, 3, and 4, I can see. But I can see this new Godzilla movie getting away with the other 4. Remember, Godzilla is a cross between a force of nature and a superhero and as we all know, you get away with quite a bit in superhero movies. Just look at the zaniness the Showa movies got away with. Even the Heisei movies, which were far more grounded had quite a bit of zaniness to them, but nobody cared about that.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I quickly read number one and stopped reading. If you really think that could "potentially ruin the film for many", then you probably shouldn't have even went to the spoiler thread. That will likely be the most epic thing to ever grace the screen for a Godzilla flick.

It'd be well deserved, earned, and straight up badass.

Oh and "Ham fisted environmental message" makes up about 75% of Godzilla films, except environmental messages are barely hamfisted when done right, especially in kaiju flicks.

I really wonder how you'd go about a Godzilla flick. I feel like it'd be a snoozer.

My main fear for KOTM is that it ends up being too short.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu May 16, 2019 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

5 and 7 are such idiotic non-problems it's not even funny :lol:

Added in 2 minutes 26 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:I quickly read number one and stopped reading. If you really think that could "potentially ruin the film for many", then you probably shouldn't have even went to the spoiler thread. That will likely be the most epic thing to ever grace the screen for a Godzilla flick.

I really wonder how you'd go about a Godzilla flick. I feel like it'd be a snoozer.

I'm honestly fine with the 132 minutes length, but I will say that previous word of mouth regarding the pacing made me concerned it would be too fast lol. Thankfully, the recent reactions that said the pacing is tight and flows well eased this concern out for me.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Dv-218 wrote:5 and 7 are such idiotic non-problems it's not even funny :lol:

Added in 2 minutes 26 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:I quickly read number one and stopped reading. If you really think that could "potentially ruin the film for many", then you probably shouldn't have even went to the spoiler thread. That will likely be the most epic thing to ever grace the screen for a Godzilla flick.

I'm honestly fine with the 132 minutes length, but I will say that previous word of mouth regarding the pacing made me concerned it would be too fast lol. Thankfully, the recent reactions that said the pacing is tight and flows well eased this concern out for me.
Yeah, I'm normally okay with like 2hrs and 30min, but this one is I believe like 2hrs 13min? Feels a bit short, especially after seeing the 3 hour powerhouse that was Endgame a few weeks back :lol:

But at least it's tight and flows well, I'm kinda sick of all the formulaic superhero jumpcuts we've experienced for the past 10 years. I couldn't even finish PacRim Uprising, twice! I really tried to sit through it but the whole film felt like this quick paced, Disney XD superhero flick
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Spoiler:
1. Kaiju bowing.
3. Bland characters.
Why would Godzilla's fall lead to a mass extinction event? Even if he fell at a highly implausible speed, like, say, Mach 10, his kinetic energy would only amount to approximately 140 kilotons of TNT, roughly one-billionth of the energy released by Chicxulub impactor.

Dropping Godzilla, even from atmospheric heights, is only going to level a large town/small city at best, not wipe out a huge portion of the planet's biodiversity.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Thu May 16, 2019 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Gerdzerl wrote:Why would Godzilla's fall lead to a mass extinction event? Even if he fell at a highly implausible speed, like, say, Mach 10, his kinetic energy would only amount to approximately 140 kilotons of TNT, roughly one-billionth of the energy released by Chicxulub impactor.

Dropping Godzilla, even from atmospheric heights, is only going to level a large town/small city at best, not wipe out a huge portion of the planet's biodiversity.
Knowing you Gerd you already had this calculated this in advance
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Gerdzerl wrote:
Spoiler:
1. Kaiju bowing.
3. Bland characters.
Why would Godzilla's fall lead to a mass extinction event? Even if he fell at a highly implausible speed, like, say, Mach 10, his kinetic energy would only amount to approximately 140 kilotons of TNT, roughly one-billionth of the energy released by Chicxulub impactor.

Percisely. I mean, hell, even the fucking K-pg asteroid didn't cause everything to go extinct upon impact.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

For anyone curious, in order for Godzilla's kinetic energy to match the 100-teraton Chicxulub impact, he'd have to be falling at 44,803,425 meters per second or about Mach 130,622. That's literally just under 15% the speed of light.

The Earth is 12,756,200 meters in diameter, so he'd be passing ~3.5 Earth diameters every second at that speed.

Anyway, I'm done now, so let's get back on topic.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Gerdzerl wrote:For anyone curious, in order for Godzilla's kinetic energy to match the 100-teraton Chicxulub impact, he'd have to be falling at 44,803,425 meters per second or about Mach 130,622. That's literally just under 15% the speed of light.
Which, obviously, he ain't fallin' at.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.