Would you want to see a "bad guy" scientist?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Would you want to see a "bad guy" scientist?

Post by Vakanai »

Bad guy as in foe to Godzilla. Something I noticed in a couple movies is that you sometimes (Gojira, Godzilla 2000) get a scientist who is against killing Godzilla because "of all that we could learn." But the truth is you could learn just as much if not more from just killing him and dissecting him, and examining all of his organs and tissues in a way you just can't do leaving him alive. Would this be an interesting premise maybe for a future movie, a scientist or group of scientists who want to kill Godzilla "for science!"?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: Would you want to see a "bad guy" scientist?

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Nah, filmmakers probably shouldn't be villainzing the knowledgeable.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I mean we had Dr. Mafune, and I'm an old soul and I kinda like the Mad Scientist trope.

Oh why not?!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nah, filmmakers probably shouldn't be villainzing the knowledgeable.
Considering a large part of the franchise is actually being aware of how advances in weapons, before political maturity, is a big issue in the franchise, I don`t understand this post. I think that you can have an evil scientist, without demonizing science, in fact the series has already done it countless times.
Serizawa, in many ways, was a mad scientist. Same for the creator of Biollante.

I think what the OP wants is a scientist who wants to kill Godzilla for scientific advancements, rather then one who wants the reverse. It`s an interesting and unique idea. It would be cool if the character maybe captured and killed other kaiju before accidentally making some stitched together monstrosity due to some personal issues. Godzilla vs. Biollante would've been very close to it if they included Deutolis.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think what the OP wants is a scientist who wants to kill Godzilla for scientific advancements, rather then one who wants the reverse.
Pretty much. Maybe putting "bad guy" in the title was a bit confusing, because the character doesn't actually have to be villainous (or even mad!), and in fact could be heroic. I only meant that he'd be the human antagonist to Godzilla in such a movie, not that he'd be unethical in any way. Just seems like there's a lot of "we need to let Godzilla live/ coexist with him, for science" type scientists through the series, when realistically an argument could be made that more could be learned from killing Godzilla and studying him via dissection. Never mind the benefit to human safety when dealing with the more villainous incarnations of Godzilla.

He wouldn't have to be a mad scientist, could be more down to earth scientist. But on the other hand, I do love me some mad science...

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I’d like to see a character like Cameron Winters in the main series. Somebody who wants to profit off of Godzilla.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

TyrantGojira wrote:I’d like to see a character like Cameron Winters in the main series. Somebody who wants to profit off of Godzilla.
Cool, but I`d wonder how that would work. Maybe a film with kaiju being sold as weapons, or a way to make them attack places. Godzilla the Half Century war has some great examples.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
TyrantGojira wrote:I’d like to see a character like Cameron Winters in the main series. Somebody who wants to profit off of Godzilla.
Cool, but I`d wonder how that would work. Maybe a film with kaiju being sold as weapons, or a way to make them attack places. Godzilla the Half Century war has some great examples.
Kinda reminds me of JW: Fallen Kingdom where different countries were bidding on dinosaurs to use as military weapons. Silly concept but also kinda cool.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Honestly, that would fit this universe. Like I said with Biollante, Godzilla would be a scientific phenomenon that would any scientist would want to experiment on. It would make perfect sense for the trope.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Glad we have human villains again. Let's get something like the Red Bamboo Army again.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

No. We just got that plot in Godzilla KOTM
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:No. We just got that plot in Godzilla KOTM
Oh boy do I wish I could undo that wish.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Dr. Emma Russell as a concept wasn't bad (grieving, radicalized scientist who feels humanity is ruining Earth and uses kaiju in an attempt to "right the wrong") but not executed to the fullest extent. They try to write her as being conflicted, which would have been alright if they had actually granted time to flesh things out with her rather than try to plow through the movie at a breakneck pace.

Similarly, Alan Jonah and his Ecoterrorist Band (I do wish his organization had been given a proper name) were absolutely swimming in potential; former military, having borne witness to the worst mankind has had to offer, and deciding the world would be better off without them (or perhaps better yet, having a goal to build a new, better society in the ashes of the old world, free from the ails that had so wracked mankind before, under the watchful eyes of the "first gods") but they're hardly an afterthought after Ghidorah wakes up
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

No we did not - I regret wording my title so piss damn poorly, but again I'm talking about a scientist who is an antagonist to Godzilla, who wants to kill him for science. Our misguided scientist in KotM was certainly a villain responsible for probably millions of deaths, but she never tried plotting against Godzilla, for science of otherwise. We still haven't gotten that kind of character I'm talking about, and in fact such a character doesn't have to be a "bad guy" at all. Can someone just change the title away from "bad guy scientist" to more properly reflect the actual idea I had?

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Vakanai wrote:
No we did not - I regret wording my title so piss damn poorly, but again I'm talking about a scientist who is an antagonist to Godzilla, who wants to kill him for science. Our misguided scientist in KotM was certainly a villain responsible for probably millions of deaths, but she never tried plotting against Godzilla, for science of otherwise. We still haven't gotten that kind of character I'm talking about, and in fact such a character doesn't have to be a "bad guy" at all. Can someone just change the title away from "bad guy scientist" to more properly reflect the actual idea I had?
The organization she worked for was a team lead by an ecoterrorist/madscientist. Even though the kid's mom wasn't too hard herself.

and No. Evil scientists stories are kind of stupid unless they're handed really delicately. A scientist that accidentally creates something horrible is always better.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
The organization she worked for was a team lead by an ecoterrorist/madscientist. Even though the kid's mom wasn't too hard herself.

and No. Evil scientists stories are kind of stupid unless they're handed really delicately. A scientist that accidentally creates something horrible is always better.
Again, antagonistic to Godzilla =/= evil scientist. You could have a heroic scientist who thinks killing Godzilla is a good thing and try to do it. The "bad guy" part was just meant as in they're the antagonists to Godzilla, but it wasn't really well thought out in the moment and I regret that title now. But the idea is really just a scientist arguing for the end of Godzilla for the safety of humanity and/or science.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Why would a scientist want to actively kill Godzilla? Wouldn’t that go against being a scientist?
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Scientists go out and gun down animals for study all the time. You want a sample to dissect, that's the quickest way to get one. And then there are the things that go on with laboratory test animals...

Plus Godzilla presents kind of a special case, because it's not like you can just put him in a cage or tranquilize him for close examination. Unless you can pick up blood or tissue samples after a battle, nothing can be done with a live Godzilla besides observing him from a distance.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Stump Feet wrote:Why would a scientist want to actively kill Godzilla? Wouldn’t that go against being a scientist?
No, why would it? You can often learn more from a dead specimen than a live one. Dissection is a thing after all. Especially in continuities where Godzilla has been around for decades there's not going to be as much to learn from observing him. Scientists work on dead specimens all the time in the real world, and that doesn't go against being a scientist.