Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Breakdown
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Breakdown »

Not sure exactly how unpopular this opinion is nowadays, but I think Zilla is a neat kaiju. However as an incarnation of Godzilla, he falls very short. When used as his own, separate character he has a chance to really shine as seen in GTS, the Anime prequels and the IDW Comics. I really hope this is a sign that the stigma around him is finally breaking and he'll appear alongside Godzilla in future projects.
Last edited by Breakdown on Wed May 15, 2019 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

_JNavs_ wrote:That list hurt me just by reading it.
Care to elaborate?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Kinggoji1962 wrote:
Care to elaborate?
We're all unique in what we like, so it's interesting reading that list, seeing other peoples perspectives.

For me personally, those are some bold claims lol. Didn't mean any offense.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed May 15, 2019 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Kinggoji1962 wrote:
Care to elaborate?
Like Goji89 said, you definitely won in terms of unpopular Godzilla opinions lol.

We're all unique in what we like, so it's interesting reading that list.
People with different opinions bad :evil: am I right dudes?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzillian wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Kinggoji1962 wrote: Care to elaborate?
Like Goji89 said, you definitely won in terms of unpopular Godzilla opinions lol.

We're all unique in what we like, so it's interesting reading that list.
People with different opinions bad :evil: am I right dudes?
I said it hurt me as in "I" because,
"We're all unique in what we like"

But it does seem a bit aggressive typed, I'll admit.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed May 15, 2019 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

goji89 wrote:Wow!

I mean wow.......you won the thread breh. Those ARE really unpopular opinions. I mean Kiryu better than Showa MG? Some people here just lost a bit of their souls. G84 better than G54? Good Lawd all mighty. Millennium series is the strongest? Im coming up Jesus....

Hey man, quite a list but whatever you like is cool.
I'm honestly surprised it's not the 6th opinion that bothers you the most :lol:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dv-218 wrote: I'm honestly surprised it's not the 6th opinion that bothers you the most :lol:
What 6th opinion? I saw nothing.

Maybe because my brain can not comprehend the sure craziness and absurd levels of that opinion that I mentally blocked it out.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Kinggoji1962 wrote:- Godzilla Final Wars is my favorite Godzilla movie
- I find the Millennium series to be the strongest era
- I think Heisei movies post 91 are the worst in the franchise
- Godzilla vs Megaguirus is great
- Kiryu is a superior Mechagodzilla to Showa
- I enjoyed Godzilla vs King Ghidorah more than Godzilla vs Biollante
- I believe Godzilla 1984 is a better movie than Godzilla 1954
- I find Shin Godzilla to be overrated
- Godzilla Raids Again is the worst Showa movie

That's all I got for now
- I have nostalgic love for it but not my favorite
- eh. it's better then people say but not that strong TBH.
- more or less
- haven't seen it in forever so cant say
- incorrect. Showa has more personality then Kiryu the one with a LITERAL soul
- Same
- WOOF that's uh. that's an opinion alright. let me see 84 and get back to you on that one
- WRONG
- nah, its decent.

I respect your opinion however

RIP Evan.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Tbh I always had a soft spot for GRA. Sure it's far from good and pales marginally in comparison to it's predecessor, but I dig the rather simplistic nature it has. Not to mention, it introduced Anguirus to the franchise.

The American version is horrendous tho. Well, aside from the masterpiece that is "Banana oil" :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed May 15, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Dv-218 wrote: Not to mention, it introduced Anguirus to the franchise.
That alone elevates the movie in my viewing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Bane
Yojimbo

Post by Bane »

I actually agree with most of Kinggoji's list, apart from the Kiryu thing. Shin is rather overrated in the fandom, and it's up to personal taste whether or not you think 84 or 54 is better, but both are very important films in the franchise but I find 84 marginally better. Not even sure if it's right to compare the two or not but that's just what I think.
Member of the League of Shadows.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I enjoyed the Godzilla Anime Trilogy.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't know if this is unpopular but is it at least uncommon that I prefer the name "Gimantis" to "Kamacuras" but "Kumonga" to "Spiega?"

Kamacuras is just a bad transliteration of Kamakiras (based on "kamakiri", Japanese for "mantis"): why "ki" became "cu" I don't know, but the typical pronunciation of "cuh MACK ur us" sounds too American to my ears. A more accurate pronunciation, based on the Japanese but keeping English conventions in mind, would be like "comma-KEER-us," which even still doesn't have the nice ring to it that "Gimantis" has.

I think Gimantis seems like an awfully generic giant bug name but I like that it parallels both Japanese names Kamakiras and Kumonga. The former of course because both are playing on their respective languages' word for "mantis" but the latter because both tell you they're large bugs. (Kumo = spider, and I imagine "monga" might be a play on "humongous," but I can't confirm that.)

"Spiega," pronounced "SPY-ga" in the international versions of SOG and DAM and "SPEE-ga" in the American versions thereof, isn't a bad name on its own, and actually it's a kind of translation of Kumonga (with Kumo translated as Spider), but it doesn't capture the aforementioned size element of "Kumonga," and the latter is just a cooler name anyway.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu May 23, 2019 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I always spell Kamacuras as Kamakiras. I also always spell Caeser as Seeser. I also vastly prefer Death Ghidorah to Disghidorah.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I also prefer Seesar to Caesar. That's the way I first saw it spelled (probably) and that's what stuck.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:I don't know if this is unpopular but is it at least uncommon that I prefer the name "Gimantis" to "Kamacuras" but "Kumonga" to "Spiega?"

Kamacuras is just a bad transliteration of Kamakiras (based on "kamakiri", Japanese for "mantis"): why "ki" became "cu" I don't know, but the typical pronunciation of "cuh MACK ur us" sounds too American to my ears. A more accurate pronunciation, based on the Japanese but keeping English conventions in mind, would be like "comma-KEER-us," which even still doesn't have the nice ring to it that "Gimantis" has.

I think Gimantis seems like an awfully generic giant bug name but I like that it parallels both Japanese names Kamakiras and Kumonga. The former of course because both are playing on their respective languages' word for "mantis" but the latter because both tell you they're large bugs. (Kumo = spider, and I imagine "monga" might be a play on "humongous," but I can't confirm that.)

"Spiega," pronounced "SPY-ga" in the international versions of SOG and DAM and "SPEE-ga" in the American versions thereof, isn't a bad name on its own, and actually it's a kind of translation of Kumonga (with Kumo translated as Spider), but it doesn't capture the aforementioned size element of "Kumonga," and the latter is just a cooler name anyway.
I'm pretty much with you on this. I can go either way between "Gimantis" and "Kamakiras", but I am utterly put off by "Kamacuras" (as I am by a few other of Toho's bizarre official transliterations).

"Spy-ga" just doesn't trip off the tongue naturally at all, while "Spee-ga" stops sounding like it has any connection to the word "spider," so "Kumonga" just makes the most sense of the available options. And, yeah, "Kumonga" is just cool.

Added in 1 minute 38 seconds:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I always spell Kamacuras as Kamakiras. I also always spell Caeser as Seeser. I also vastly prefer Death Ghidorah to Disghidorah.
I actually tend to think of it as "Seesar." But when I abbreviate his name, I still make it "KC." Not sure why I do that, except maybe because "C" pronounced allowed sounds like "See"?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I've gotten in the habit of using most of Toho's official names, even ones I don't like. One of these is "King Caesar," which is not only a bad transliteration but is redundant as well. I don't really like any of the romanizations of "Kingu Shīsā", including Toho's original "King Seeser," because for some reason they've all shied away from the character's mythological origin.

Anguirus/Angilas is one I go back and forth on in different contexts. "Angilas" is closer to the Japanese pronunciation, except when spoken by Frontier Enterprises' dubbers in the intntl version of DAM (they use "ANGLE-us," which is stupid). I pronounce it "on-GEY-lus", with the second syllable sounding like "key." Unfortunately, the romanization "Anguirus" gets distorted by English speakers too: "Ang-WEER-us" or "Ang-WEEN-us" in GFW. (Seriously??)

"Desghidorah" is another one I hate. I understand why "Destoroyah" had to be copyrighted instead of the more logical "Destroyer," but was "Death Ghidorah" not advisable for some reason? I also hate the "ghi-DOOR-uh" pronunciation that's become prevalent, and it never sounded worse than in 'Dess-ghi-DOOR-uh." Ugh.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:I also hate the "ghi-DOOR-uh" pronunciation that's become prevalent
Oh my god yes! It sounds so labored and unnatural compared to either an evenly stressed reading or the old-school American "Ghidrah."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I prefer the "Ghi-door-ah" pronunciation. "Ghee-derrah" and "Ghee-drah" sound too cutesy and silly to me.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gerdzerl wrote:I prefer the "Ghi-door-ah" pronunciation. "Ghee-derrah" and "Ghee-drah" sound too cutesy and silly to me.
I agree with this, Ghidorah (Ghi-Door-Ah) sounds more godly, like a title, like if you hear that name you best run fast and far, plus it rolls off the tongue.

"Ghee-drah" and "Ghee derrah" sound like forced pronunciations.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu May 23, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.