Godzilla: Aftershock Spoiler Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Godzilla: Aftershock Spoiler Thread

Post by Dv-218 »

Tyrant28 wrote:I would like to compared the spine growth of Godzilla’s species to like that of a lion. The stronger the individual, the larger the spines. Since Godzilla overcame a major predator of his kind, his spine would heal and regrow larger and stronger.
Yeah, that's honestly a pretty good analogy. Considering he apperantely also uses them for communication/intimidation purposes according to the sub scene, the spines having a similar function to a Lion's mane makes sense. The bigger/stronger the individual- the bigger and more imposing the spines look.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat May 11, 2019 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I really enjoyed Aftershock and Muto Prime is an interesting kaiju. I wonder, could the sonic shriek shatter other Godzilla back spike incarnations like shins, Showa, Hesei, Spacegodzilla, ect...? It makes fan battles more interesting now.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

darthzilla99 wrote:I really enjoyed Aftershock and Muto Prime is an interesting kaiju. I wonder, could the sonic shriek shatter other Godzilla back spike incarnations like shins, Showa, Hesei, , ect...? It makes fan battles more interesting now.
Probably not considering their “back spikes” are actually fins.
Facts don't care about your feelings

warman222
G-Force Personnel

Post by warman222 »

Is this the first time a monster in official canon of one of these series has had a sonic roar? I mean I know Angirus had one in the Pipeworks trilogy but that was a liberty they took for that series and never something he had in his other appearances(unless they gave it to him in the comics at some point).
Last edited by warman222 on Sat May 11, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
gottatalktothefake wrote:Why is it so hard just to be decent to each other and respect the tastes and opinions of others respectfully?

keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Post by keizerkaiju »

I'm liking the MUTO Prime's "old man" appearance. Looks creepy.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Hmmm...you know, the face definitely reminded me of a human at first, but looking at the pics again it also looks kinda like a Placoderm. Specifically Dunkleosteus. Maybe it's just me tho lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat May 11, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Just noticed in the same Monarch base panel that has Ghidorah and the Death Jackal in it, there is a map with all of the Monarch outposts labeled. Can’t make out most of the names because the words are small (wonder if they can seen more on the digital release), but the Outpost out in the Atlantic Ocean is in fact Skull Island if there were people doubting it.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Tyrant28 wrote:Just noticed in the same Monarch base panel that has Ghidorah and the Death Jackal in it, there is a map with all of the Monarch outposts labeled. Can’t make out most of the names because the words are small (wonder if they can seen more on the digital release), but the Outpost out in the Atlantic Ocean is in fact Skull Island if there were people doubting it.
I thought Skull Island was in the Pacific

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Gojira18 wrote:
Tyrant28 wrote:Just noticed in the same Monarch base panel that has Ghidorah and the Death Jackal in it, there is a map with all of the Monarch outposts labeled. Can’t make out most of the names because the words are small (wonder if they can seen more on the digital release), but the Outpost out in the Atlantic Ocean is in fact Skull Island if there were people doubting it.
Pacific I meant. Sorry, I don’t know why I got that mixed up.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Tyrant28 wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
Pacific I meant. Sorry, I don’t know why I got that mixed up.
Was gonna say, that's a pretty big continuity issue if they changed entire oceans

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

This is out? Why isn't it on ComiXology yet?

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Tyrant28 wrote:
Another thing is that we can call the dead Godzilla from the Philippine mines, Dagon, which what he was called by the ancient civilization. The Godzilla fighting the Muto Prime in the paintings isn’t our Godzilla.
Monarch Sciences website also states that the creature in the mines isn't a Godzilla but an unidentified Titan. Which is right?!?
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

SG-17 wrote:This is out? Why isn't it on ComiXology yet?
It really shouldn't be out yet. Some stores though are selling it early.
Long Live The King

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Tyrant28 wrote:
Another thing is that we can call the dead Godzilla from the Philippine mines, Dagon, which what he was called by the ancient civilization. The Godzilla fighting the Muto Prime in the paintings isn’t our Godzilla.
Monarch Sciences website also states that the creature in the mines isn't a Godzilla but an unidentified Titan. Which is right?!?
Thought it was obvious it was always intended to be a member of Godzilla’s species.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Tyrant28 wrote:
Where does it say that?
GO GO GOJI KUN

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Tyrant28 wrote:
Where does it say that?
Either Vivienne Graham's bio or Serizawa's.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Dv-218 wrote:Just as an interesting thought, could it be possible that Godzilla's spines somewhat function like teeth? As in, the small and triangular spines eventually wear off and break at a certain age, and then get replaced with the bigger and more jagged spines we see in KOTM- which is why they regrow the way they do after they get shattered by prime's sonic roar. Obviously the changes are purely for aesthetic reasons and don't really require an explanation, just speculating for fun lol.
I like this explaination a lot, makes sense

This comic was a good read, plenty of Easter eggs I missed from what I'm seeing (I saw Ghidorah obviously lol)
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So the in-canon reason Godzillas spines are different, isn't because of radioactive mutations from a nuke, but instead grew back like that after an ancient MUTO Prime screamed at sonic levels and shattered all of his fins? Am I the only one who feels like it's a bit outta left field? Especially since it's not something we're physically seeing on the screen? Aren't Godzillas spines stronger than glass?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun May 12, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

TheInfiniteAeon
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheInfiniteAeon »

I'd like to see that page.
In a post-Shin Godzilla world, the kaiju genre should, more than ever before, be held to standards of quality that are more than just "big monster go rawr". Don't act surprised when you get trash movies when your core audience asks for nothing but the bare minimum.