Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Monster(?) Discussion: Godzilla Tower

Post by edgaguirus »

We should let Toho know we want merchandise based on that tower. Letterbox, pencil sharpeners, lamps, etc.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

edgaguirus wrote:We should let Toho know we want merchandise based on that tower. Letterbox, pencil sharpeners, lamps, etc.
Good idea...
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Bandai wouldn’t have to articulate it!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The Godzilla Tower is certainly one of the nuttier anti-Godzilla weapons (and keep in mind, that is a list that includes a black hole gun).

I mean you have to admire how brazen the Cockroach aliens are. Lets construct a giant tower in Godzilla's image and basically taunt him into approaching us. We then burn him down with an image of himself.

Godzilla's reaction to it is also one of my favorite "anthropomorphic" moments for him in the series. The stunned disbelief, and smacking himself in the head to clear the cobwebs are just hysterical.

And I also have to admit, as a kid, it was one of the most dramatic moments in the series. Beaten, battered, and bloodied by two monsters, Anguiras hurt, and now getting burned down by the tower. It looked like Godzilla was going to lose and lose badly.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

GojiDog wrote: Godzilla's reaction to it is also one of my favorite "anthropomorphic" moments for him in the series. The stunned disbelief, and smacking himself in the head to clear the cobwebs are just hysterical.

It has the potential to take one down a weird mind-fuck trail. Godzilla seems to be self aware enough to be confused by a statue made in his image but how exactly does he know what he looks like? Things that make you go hmmm....
Last edited by Crazy Jim Films on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

Crazy Jim Films wrote:
GojiDog wrote: Godzilla's reaction to it is also one of my favorite "anthropomorphic" moments for him in the series. The stunned disbelief, and smacking himself in the head to clear the cobwebs are just hysterical.

It has the potential to take one down a weird mind-fuck trail. Godzilla seems to be self aware enough to be confused by a statue made in his image but how exactly does he know what he looks like? Things that make you go hmmm....
Oh and things will get more severe when another alien race makes a robotic version of him and he wasn't as stun in disbelief because I think Angirius first hand warned him and speaking of why and how Angirius came out of the ground in that one is because (I know it was originally suppose to be Baragon) is because in the previous film (Godzilla vs. Megalon) he's sunks into the ground during underground nuclear bombing testing was happening at the beginning and strangely never seen or heard ever again through the whole movie.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Freebleeper wrote:
Crazy Jim Films wrote:

Oh and things will get more severe when another alien race makes a robotic version of him and he wasn't as stun in disbelief because I think Angirius first hand warned him and speaking of why and how Angirius came out of the ground in that one is because (I know it was originally suppose to be Baragon) is because in the previous film (Godzilla vs. Megalon) he's sunks into the ground during underground nuclear bombing testing was happening at the beginning and strangely never seen or heard ever again through the whole movie.
Baragon was never going to be in the film, that's just a myth

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Godzillian wrote:
Freebleeper wrote:
Crazy Jim Films wrote:
Baragon was never going to be in the film, that's just a myth
Yeah, Baragon being in that role wouldn't have made any sense.

Anguirus by that point was Godzilla's buddy/sidekick. Him being in that role had more impact.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Freebleeper wrote: Angirius came out of the ground in that one is because (I know it was originally suppose to be Baragon) is because in the previous film (Godzilla vs. Megalon) he's sunks into the ground during underground nuclear bombing testing was happening at the beginning and strangely never seen or heard ever again through the whole movie.
You're forgetting the pre-credit sequence in Siberia where Angurius is seen very clearly above ground.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I’m sure Toho would’ve very much preferred to have Baragon in GvMG.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

LegendZilla wrote:^I’m sure Toho would’ve very much preferred to have Baragon in GvMG.
What makes you say that?
Last edited by Crazy Jim Films on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Crazy Jim Films wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^I’m sure Toho would’ve very much preferred to have Baragon in GvMG.
What makes you say that?
The only reason Toho stuck with Anguirus at that point was because to suit held up.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote:
Crazy Jim Films wrote:
What makes you say that?
The only reason Toho stuck with Anguirus at that point was because to suit held up.
Oh yeah, definitely not because it made more narrative sense than Baragon who wasn't relevant since 1965.

Do you even read what you send sometimes, dude?

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

That's how I saw it as well, UltramanGoji. Angurius was definitely a more prominently featured character in that era. His role was bigger in Destroy All Monsters and was a featured supporting ally in Godzilla vs. Gigan with additional moments in Megalon and Godzilla's Revenge. Made perfect sense to me for him to be in that position.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Crazy Jim Films wrote:That's how I saw it as well, UltramanGoji. Angurius was definitely a more prominently featured character in that era. His role was bigger in Destroy All Monsters and was a featured supporting ally in Godzilla vs. Gigan with additional moments in Megalon and Godzilla's Revenge. Made perfect sense to me for him to be in that position.
And like...the whole crux of that scene is that Anguirus, a known ally to Godzilla, is suddenly attacking Godzilla. Literally said in the movie: "Something's wrong, Anguirus shouldn't attack his friend Godzilla."

Are people really so upset that Anguirus suddenly gained the ability to burrow underground that they really think Baragon should've been in that position instead?

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Crazy Jim Films wrote:That's how I saw it as well, UltramanGoji. Angurius was definitely a more prominently featured character in that era. His role was bigger in Destroy All Monsters and was a featured supporting ally in Godzilla vs. Gigan with additional moments in Megalon and Godzilla's Revenge. Made perfect sense to me for him to be in that position.
And like...the whole crux of that scene is that Anguirus, a known ally to Godzilla, is suddenly attacking Godzilla. Literally said in the movie: "Something's wrong, Anguirus shouldn't attack his friend Godzilla."

Are people really so upset that Anguirus suddenly gained the ability to burrow underground that they really think Baragon should've been in that position instead?
I'm not really "upset" but it would of more sense to have Baragon instead of Angirius because we didn't know about his ability to go underground and to rephrase the opening scene with Angirus, maybe those explosions cause him to go underground again, just a theory from me. ;)

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

To be fair, we didn't really know about Godzilla's ability to turn into a giant magnet when struck by lightning before this film, either. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

Zarm wrote:To be fair, we didn't really know about Godzilla's ability to turn into a giant magnet when struck by lightning before this film, either. ;)
Makes me wish the Frankenstein's Monster became a magnet too when he was struck by lightning! :lol: :lol: and than the villagers wouldn't have a chance to run away from him! :) :lol:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If Godzilla had turned magnet in Vs Gigan, the roaches would have had some trouble. Just picture the massive magnetic energy coming off Godzilla jamming their computers.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

After rewatching the film, seeing Godzilla approach the tower and then instantly getting blasted by it is one of the more somber late Showa moments.

I get the feeling that he thought it was another member of his species and thought he might not be alone anymore.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.