The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by eabaker »

EternalMothra wrote:I just felt like that movie was trying so hard to be serious...=
Huh. I never felt that about Godzilla 2000.

Also, are you talking only about how it comes off in the dub, or in the Japanese version as well?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

eabaker wrote:
EternalMothra wrote:I just felt like that movie was trying so hard to be serious...=

Also, are you talking only about how it comes off in the dub, or in the Japanese version as well?
In both versions, but the dub is far more cringe-worthy at that moment. Let me elaborate further. The film sets up this dark tone of Godzilla being a force of nature and this "alien being" re-branding the planet as its own. All-in-all, it's very doom-worthy, right? I think the spontaneous humor (and unconvincing humor) peppered throughout the movie takes away from the darkness the film tries to build, if that makes sense.
Last edited by EternalMothra on Wed May 08, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

EternalMothra wrote:
eabaker wrote:

In both versions, but the dub is far more cringe-worthy at that moment. Let me elaborate further. The film sets up this dark tone of Godzilla being a force of nature and this "alien being" re-branding the planet as its own. All-in-all, it's very doom-worthy, right? I think the spontaneous humor (and unconvincing humor) peppered throughout the movie takes away from the darkness the film tries to build, if that makes sense.
I guess I tend to think of the whole movie as more of a pulp adventure than a dark, doom and gloom kinda flick.

I do find the "GODZILLAAAAAA!!!!!" in the dub pretty cheesy, though.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

"KATAGIRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:"KATAGIRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"
“SKREEEEOOOOOOOOOONK”

Godzilla having a drawn-out roar at the end of that exchange just makes the scene, it’s like they had him yell because Katagiri and Shinoda had both had long drawn-out yells and they wanted to fulfill rule of threes or something
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

EternalMothra wrote: In both versions, but the dub is far more cringe-worthy at that moment. Let me elaborate further. The film sets up this dark tone of Godzilla being a force of nature and this "alien being" re-branding the planet as its own. All-in-all, it's very doom-worthy, right?
No more doom-worthy than half of the Showa series' invasion/giant monster on the loose plots, really. :?

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

A lot of English lines in the Heisei series are really cringeworthy and unnatural-sounding. Godzilla vs Biollante has some truly awful pseudo-English in the first act in the original Japanese audio. Mostly, though, the awkward English delivery comes from those Tristar dubbers who especially should’ve known better. “Oh no he’s getting pissed off!” “Systems: OK!” “Radon” and my favorite: “What radioactivity!”

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

LockBite wrote: Godzilla vs Biollante has some truly awful pseudo-English in the first act in the original Japanese audio.
Ah, shit, damn! We got legal weapons!
(at least that's what it sounded like)
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LockBite wrote:A lot of English lines in the Heisei series are really cringeworthy and unnatural-sounding. Godzilla vs Biollante has some truly awful pseudo-English in the first act in the original Japanese audio. Mostly, though, the awkward English delivery comes from those Tristar dubbers who especially should’ve known better. “Oh no he’s getting pissed off!” “Systems: OK!” “Radon” and my favorite: “What radioactivity!”
Those voice actors were employed by a Hong Kong firm where most of said actors were expats from the U.S., the U.K., Canada, Australia, etc. (TriStar had nothing to do with the production of any Godzilla dub besides the version of Godzilla 2000 we got here.) I agree that their work is far from terrific but they had the unenviable task of creating a script from poorly-translated subtitles that Toho shipped them. That's likely how the character is dubbed "Radon" while Toho's own English credits use "Rodan."

An example of Chinese theatrical subtitles that likely also doubled as the source of English dialogue translation used by the dub crew:

One of the voice actors in the later era of Hong Kong dubbing for Toho films (spanning about 1997-2004 and covering the released versions of films from MGII to the late Millennium series) actually commented on the process in some detail in 1998, shortly after the first few were dubbed. Link. (Note that although he mentions GvKG and the '92 GvMothra, he's actually referring to the 93-95 films and the first two ROM films.)
I will plead guilty to charges of lack of familiarity of with the story of each film. All the English script-writer gets is a translation of the Japanese; there's no briefing on the background or history of the stories, or anything like that. So sometimes he doesn't fully comprehend what's supposed to be happening, and sometimes we have to make last-minute changes to the script in the studio...I know we sometimes get the details wrong.
Likewise, the English "actors" hired by Toho to appear in these films were obviously just brought in because they knew English (or in the case of GvKG, because they were functionally bilingual). They didn't write their dialogue (which was probably written by a native Japanese speaker with very little knowledge of English) and they didn't have the acting ability to work around the awful dialogue. But I don't disagree that it's really awkward and generally unintentionally funny.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

UltramanGoji wrote:
EternalMothra wrote: In both versions, but the dub is far more cringe-worthy at that moment. Let me elaborate further. The film sets up this dark tone of Godzilla being a force of nature and this "alien being" re-branding the planet as its own. All-in-all, it's very doom-worthy, right?
No more doom-worthy than half of the Showa series' invasion/giant monster on the loose plots, really. :?
I'd say G2K was a bit more doom-worthy since it was inspired by the whole Y2K scare. ;)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LockBite wrote:A lot of English lines in the Heisei series are really cringeworthy and unnatural-sounding. Godzilla vs Biollante has some truly awful pseudo-English in the first act in the original Japanese audio. Mostly, though, the awkward English delivery comes from those Tristar dubbers who especially should’ve known better. “Oh no he’s getting pissed off!” “Systems: OK!” “Radon” and my favorite: “What radioactivity!”
Terasawa responded to this in depth, but I’d like to address the reverse phenomenon, mainly some Japanese actors briefly speaking English and how people criticize them.

While it doesn’t happen often in Godzilla films, there are moments of this especially in Shin Godzilla. A lot of people criticize the actress of Ann Patterson, and openly mock her for her “broken English” in that film. While I know that it sounds off to native speakers, the actress doesn’t get enough credit because compared to most Japanese people, her English in the film is considerably good, or at least sounds fluent. I get that it’s off because technically in the film she’s supposed to be a native speaker, but I think she gets an undeserved amount of mockery considering she does a fantastic job at acting and conveying a message in a language that isn’t her forte.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
LockBite wrote: Godzilla vs Biollante has some truly awful pseudo-English in the first act in the original Japanese audio.
Ah, poop, damn! We got legal weapons!
(at least that's what it sounded like)
It's been a while, but I believe it was a bad *Lethal Weapon* reference.

"Shit, damn, we are the lethal weapons," or something to that effect.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Less Godzilla cringe and more people being un-throughtful dicks so I'm not sure if this fits in here

1. Person asks me to take them to see Godzilla 2014. They ghost me.

2. Another person asks me to take them to see Shin Godzilla. They also ghost me.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Living Corpse wrote:Less Godzilla cringe and more people being un-throughtful dicks so I'm not sure if this fits in here

2. Another person asks me to take them to see Shin Godzilla. They also ghost me.
You really should let it go man, you're really hung up on this.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Living Corpse wrote:Less Godzilla cringe and more people being un-throughtful dicks so I'm not sure if this fits in here

If they do the same thing to you with KOTM, drop them like a hot potato.
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Fri May 10, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Maybe they had something to do and couldn't contact you for whatever reason
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:

Maybe they had something to do and couldn't contact you for whatever reason
No, they just can't act like adults. Trust me, this isn't the first or last instance of them being immature. Both could contact me but didn't say anything till I contacted them.

This would be bad if I had ask them to and they said yes instead of no but I didn't ask cause I figured they had no interest in this stuff. But they asked me. Honestly it doesn't matter if it was movies, fireworks, seeing the panda at the zoo, or just hanging out at a pizza party. There's a bigger problem here than they perplexingly asked me to take them to a thing they don't like (which I still don't understand). They don't respect me as a person, they don't respect my time and they don't respect my feelings.

Both of them I don't hang with anymore cause they kept doing shit like this.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Complaining about someone ghosting you five years ago is kinda cringe in of itself, I'd take Godzillian's advice and just let it go.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Smuggers wrote:Complaining about someone ghosting you five years ago is kinda cringe in of itself, I'd take Godzillian's advice and just let it go.
Ya thats kind of weird. If I got all mad about girls I've dated that never got back to me I'd have an army!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

$5 say they didn't want to see it and just said it to be polite in conversation.

I've had a lot of people like that so I feel you, Corpse.

RIP Evan.