Godzilla: Aftershock, a prequel graphic novel to KOTM

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla: Aftershock, a prequel graphic novel to KOTM

Post by ebirah_scampi »

GojiDog wrote:The MUTOs reproduction isn't any more complicated than the Xenomorphs.

How does that work again? Queen lays eggs, which hatch into face huggers, which essentially impregnate and rape a person or some other unfortunate host, and the baby alien bursts out of the host. Lot of crazy steps in that process.

To me, its science fiction and they are trying to convey how odd and outside the understanding of humanity these creatures are. It worked for Alien and I'm okay with it for the MUTOs as well.
The analogy with Xenomorphs doesn't seem to work with the MUTOs now though. With the Xenos it makes sense, queen lays eggs, eggs go through life cycle and end up drones or warriors that don't reproduce. With the MUTOs the "queen" lays spores that are actually a different subspecies, these go through their life cycle, and then the subspecies can reproduce sexually on its own in perpetuity. There's no reason to have the queen in the first place as all the offspring can reproduce even more effectively, laying hundreds of eggs instead of two spores at a time.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

GojiDog wrote:The MUTOs reproduction isn't any more complicated than the Xenomorphs.

How does that work again? Queen lays eggs, which hatch into face huggers, which essentially impregnate and rape a person or some other unfortunate host, and the baby alien bursts out of the host. Lot of crazy steps in that process.

To me, its science fiction and they are trying to convey how odd and outside the understanding of humanity these creatures are. It worked for Alien and I'm okay with it for the MUTOs as well.
Xenos are mutated artificial bioweapons so doesn't really matter how screwed up their reproduction cycle is. MUTOs on the other hand are naturally evolved animals.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Muto prime lays one male and one female and likely goes to sleep. The Male and the Female then reproduce and birth hundreds of Mutos. Muto Prime likely would have never woken up had Godzilla not genocided the race.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Isn't this supposed to come out this week?
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

G2000 wrote:Isn't this supposed to come out this week?
Originally it was, but a month or so ago they pushed it back to May 21st.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

There’s a couple of Barnes and Nobles’ that have this right now already.
Long Live The King

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

I already ordered the hardcover from Barnes & Noble. It should be here by Tuesday.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m guessing no current plans for a Japanese release?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I’m guessing no current plans for a Japanese release?
Not really surprising, they don't get our Godzilla comics very often over there and vice-versa

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

miguelnuva wrote:Muto prime lays one male and one female and likely goes to sleep. The Male and the Female then reproduce and birth hundreds of Mutos. Muto Prime likely would have never woken up had Godzilla not genocided the race.

I like it
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Found mines at Barns and Noble, quite a few of them in stock.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Better than awakening? Aka, is it worth the buy?

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Can we get a spoiler thread or something for Aftershock? No one’s discussing anything about it.
Facts don't care about your feelings

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Spoiler:
So, apparently, MUTO Prime has a sonic roar so powerful it shatters Godzilla's spines
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu May 09, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motherstarviras
Samurai

Post by motherstarviras »

It's definitely out, guys. Just got mine at my local Barnes and Noble. They had a whole stack of them on the table.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

motherstarviras wrote:It's definitely out, guys. Just got mine at my local Barnes and Noble. They had a whole stack of them on the table.
New item table? If so I didn’t think to look there.. I went right to the graphic novel section with no luck.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Godzillian wrote: Not really surprising, they don't get our Godzilla comics very often over there and vice-versa
Yeah, I recall the IDW comics being released over there like 2 years after the fact
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Fri May 10, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Godzillian wrote: Not really surprising, they don't get our Godzilla comics very often over there and vice-versa
Yeah, I recall the IDW comics being released over there like 2 years after the fact
I think that was the only bit of the IDW run that was published in Japan as well

motherstarviras
Samurai

Post by motherstarviras »

Cookson wrote:
motherstarviras wrote:It's definitely out, guys. Just got mine at my local Barnes and Noble. They had a whole stack of them on the table.
New item table? If so I didn’t think to look there.. I went right to the graphic novel section with no luck.
Yup! In my local store they were on the new release table towards the front of the store.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

For those who have read it, without spoiling it, how good is it? "Must read" or just "meh alright if you got money to spend and time to kill"?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.