Godzilla Fanbase Demographics Survey

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Godzilla Fanbase Demographics Survey

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Somebody on r/godzilla made a survey to get an idea of what the community is like, I think it'd be interesting to see the results as well so I'm sharing it here. It's a tiny bit long but nothing you can't finish under 3 minutes or so.

https://forms.gle/oeuCRTT4JgeyRGH89
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla Fanbase Demographics Survey

Post by KillCrites »

I love this stuff, can't wait to see the results.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Filled it out but had 0 clue about the DVD Region stuff, so I picked a random one.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

_JNavs_ wrote:Filled it out but had 0 clue about the DVD Region stuff, so I picked a random one.
I'm outside your room right now... you're in region 1/A.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

2004Zilla wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Filled it out but had 0 clue about the DVD Region stuff, so I picked a random one.
Okay great, hopefully you brought the pizza I ordered, we'll binge some Goji flicks and drink some brewskis
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

NSA datamining
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

My response has been recorded.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:
Okay great, hopefully you brought the pizza I ordered, we'll binge some Goji flicks and drink some brewskis
Oh, yeah, sure, just bring him in for a beer
Last edited by G2000 on Sun May 05, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Big problem with this survey is the lack of neutral answers. Some have “it doesn’t matter”, but not all of them.

In regards to questions like,”what do you prefer, practical effects or CGI Effects,” there’s no response that states,”it doesn’t matter” or “I like both”. It also doesn’t acknowledge that many films have both. It gets bizarre when it lists suits as generalizations, even though there’s numerous showa designs. It then asks very specific questions about each CGI incarnation. It gets very biased from there, with responses like:

“In general, what did you think of the Shin design? *
I liked it. All those transformations were super cool
I hated it, like what the actual f*ck
I don't care“

Which shin design are we talking about here? Note how the survey doesn’t ask about how you feel about each individual showa design, or some of the rather more out there moments. It continues to single out some of the recent films, with G14 in the same manner.

I get the reason for asking the region question, but again it’s a big outdated and it doesn’t apply to me as I grew up in America, but now live in Japan. Same goes for the dub vs sub question. This may come off as nit picky, but if the point is to ask a general question that provides more accuracy, then it should’ve asked more in depth questions.

It also annoyingly relegates the anime trilogy to the Reiwa era, even though definitively they came out before Reiwa. And despite there only being three films, that distinctly really are one project, it’s directly comparing that era, to the showa, Heisei and millienum era, both which have many more entries in them.

I hate to be really conspiratorial, but I got the impression the survey has less to do with demographics of the fandom, and rather either shit on CGI, or newer incarnations of Godzilla, be it the anime trilogy or Shin, or somehow be created to justify any insecurity the western fanabase.

A more concrete demographic survey, would not only include personal questions regarding age and ethnic background but ones such as:

-Do you speak Japanese (if it’s not your primary
-How frequently do you watch godzilla films on average (once a year, once every few months, once a mont once a week etc...).
-Do you own physical Godzilla merch (not just dvds but things like the toys and comics).
-Do you have disposeable income?
-If applicable, with G14, and Shin, how many times did you see them in theaters?
-How old were you when you saw your first Godzilla film?

I’m predicting it now but the result of this survey will be some misconstrued poll that’ll be used to justify which film is the best and which is the worst despite it having serious issues.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun May 05, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Yeah, a lack of neutral answers made some questions a bit tough, especially in regards to Godzilla 1998. I didn't like the design as Godzilla, but as it's own separate character (Zilla) I quite like it.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

One that sort of tripped me up was the “are you public with your fandom or do you hide it”
Like, the people close to me know I’m a fan and I’m comfortable talking about it if it comes up but it’s not something I actively advertise or wear on my sleeve
Last edited by G2000 on Mon May 06, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I agree with LSD, and besides the lack of neutral answers, it bothers me that some are worded so that the yes and no selections indicate a bias of some sort. For example:

>>In general, do you like older movies (30+ years ago)?
"Yes, there's just something about them"
"No, they look ugly, they're boring, and the acting is pretty bad"

I prefer classic cinema to modern cinema but I know why I like it more than "there's just something about them." Meanwhile, the affirmative answer for the next question ("do you like modern movies") describes them as "beautiful and action-packed," as if older movies can't have those qualities. :roll:
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

I hate the way the choices are worded. Horribly written.
GO GO GOJI KUN

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I agree with all of the answer criticisms. I also feel the "Subbed or Dubbed" one was in need of a neutral, "depends on the movie" response, which is certainly how I feel about the situation.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Yeah, it's sloppy but I think the results will be interesting in spite of that.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Survey wont be that much anyways.....but meh why not.

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

I filled this out too. I'm super excited to see the results!