Gamera in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzillian wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Toho rejected a crossover because they would be getting half the profit and the market was already in dwindling down.

I stand by my orginal statement, if the MV continues past GvsK and starts doing better and better we may see Gamera show up and they should introduce in Godzilla vs Gamera first.
Godzilla and Kong are household names. Why would Legendary bother using a character that is basically unknown outside of Japan and kaiju fandom? Why pay for the rights to Gamera when they have Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah on top of their two flagship characters?
Because

1. Legendary has hardcore kaiju fans working who likely know Gamera.

2. Gamera has had two Simpson's cameos alongside Godzilla and a panel at NYCC so not that unknown.

3. Iron Man and some of the most popular mcu charcters were also unknown to the GA at first and now look.

Charcters have to be built up.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

This is obvious, but we have to get through GKotM and GvsK with healthy box office results before we start giving LESSER known Kaiju their own movies etc.

That’s what I want more than anything... Monsterverse films that don’t have the words Godzilla or Kong in the title, but those two characters have to be majorly successful before they do more with others since they’re their main money makers. Kaiju Hollywood films aren’t cheap.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu May 02, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote:This is obvious, but we have to get through GKotM and GvsK with healthy box office results before we start giving LESSER known Kaiju their own movies etc.
Well obviously, but then we'd have nothing to discuss or speculate about, so we just assume that those two movies will at least be as successful as the first two if not more so and go from there. If they're successful, could Gamera be in the MV? Probably won't be, but no real reason why not.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Cookson wrote:This is obvious, but we have to get through GKotM and GvsK with healthy box office results before we start giving LESSER known Kaiju their own movies etc.

That’s what I want more than anything... Monsterverse films that don’t have the words Godzilla or Kong in the title, but those two characters have to be majorly successful before they do more with others since they’re their main money makers. Kaiju Hollywood films aren’t cheap.
I totally agree, I'd love some monsterverse originals but time will tell

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

miguelnuva wrote:Gamera has had two Simpson's cameos
Well I guess now they have to put him in the monsterverse.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Smuggers wrote:
Damn, these arguments for Gamera just keep getting better and better.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Thu May 02, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd say he has a much better chance than someone like Ultraman.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Smuggers wrote:
Yep let's selective post to try and tear down an argument.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

I don't know if this means anything but everyone and their pet uh turtle names their pet turtle/tortoise Gamera. They know the name probably.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That's definitely true, I feel like 4/5 turtles are named Gamera.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

miguelnuva wrote:Yep let's selective post to try and tear down an argument.
Sorry if my joke cut too deep but your argument was literally "Hardcore kaiju fans at Legendary" (complete conjecture, Thomas Tull is the one who really pushed for giant monster films and he doesn't even work there anymore), " Dude, Simpsons references" and "But Marvel!". If Legendary wants to go for Gamera they can but there's currently absolutely nothing suggesting they will.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Comparing Gamera to Iron Man is dumb. One has the capacity of being played by a recognizable actor and the other would be nothing more than a CGI creation. Iron Man became a cultural icon because of RDJ. Gamera will not have the same luxury.

Rokmutul
Yojimbo

Post by Rokmutul »

UltramanGoji wrote:Comparing Gamera to Iron Man is dumb. One has the capacity of being played by a recognizable actor and the other would be nothing more than a CGI creation. Iron Man became a cultural icon because of RDJ. Gamera will not have the same luxury.
This.
Kaiju don't have the luxury of having human drama or major character development or even be relatable for the audience because well...they're 300 ft beasts. The best comparison would be Groot since he barely talks and is completely CG.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

And even then Groot still isn't that compatible because his voice actor is still a pretty high profile actor.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

miguelnuva wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
It… wasn’t a very good argument though.
Facts don't care about your feelings

Rokmutul
Yojimbo

Post by Rokmutul »

Once the Monsterverse becomes a major success, then we'll see Gamera. It all really depends on how G: KOTM performs to see if the chance of the Monsterverse being a major success is possible. Let's say it does a staggering $800 million-$1 billion. G v K comes around and then makes $1 billion. Then at this rate, Gamera could realistically be apart of the Monsterverse. If this doesn't happen, the friend of all children will not be in this universe.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ben Shapiro wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Smuggers wrote: Well I guess now they have to put him in the monsterverse.
It… wasn’t a very good argument though.
The argument was no one outside of Japan onew Gamera, I mentioned the two cameos and a panel at nycc.

Added in 3 minutes 7 seconds:
Smuggers wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Yep let's selective post to try and tear down an argument.
Sorry if my joke cut too deep but your argument was literally "Hardcore kaiju fans at Legendary" (complete conjecture, Thomas Tull is the one who really pushed for giant monster films and he doesn't even work there anymore), " Dude, Simpsons references" and "But Marvel!". If Legendary wants to go for Gamera they can but there's currently absolutely nothing suggesting they will.
Doughtery is a fan and Tull is still at Legendary. The Simpsons and Nycc were brought up to show Gamera was not only know in America.

Marvel was used to show that unknown properties can be made popular with the right team behind them. My argument isn't that Gamers is going to be in the monsterverse my argument is that I don't think he's an impossibility if the MV gets more successful.

Added in 2 minutes 13 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote:Comparing Gamera to Iron Man is dumb. One has the capacity of being played by a recognizable actor and the other would be nothing more than a CGI creation. Iron Man became a cultural icon because of RDJ. Gamera will not have the same luxury.
RDJ was just one part of Iron Man's success. If Gamera had a big budget introduction like the Shibuya scene it could help him out.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I'd forgotten about Tull coming back. Still, I think GvK was the big thing he was gunning for and Dougherty's just a director they hired, he doesn't have big clout at the studio. I think he'd sooner see Trick r Treat 2 than Gamera in the Monsterverse anyway. Nobody's trying to argue that literally nobody knows who Gamera is, and pointing out a references in tv show isn't proving anything but the writer knowing who he is. There's no way to tell if the viewers recognized him. NYCC is for nerd stuff anyway so I don't know why that'd be a shocker, but man did that end up going anywhere. Maybe Gamera should get his own series back on track before he starts making guest appearances overseas. So I don't really think he's poised to show up.

Rokmutul
Yojimbo

Post by Rokmutul »

Let's say Gamera is somehow introduced into the Monsterverse, what would be the best route to introduce him in? In a Godzilla vs Gamera film? Godzilla 3/4/5 etc with Gamera just in the mix? Gamera solo film?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Rokmutul wrote:Let's say Gamera is somehow introduced into the Monsterverse, what would be the best route to introduce him in? In a Godzilla vs Gamera film? Godzilla 3/4/5 etc with Gamera just in the mix? Gamera solo film?
Godzilla vs. Gamera. He would need the bump to become anywhere close to relevant.