Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Smuggers »

I know people to say Minilla looks like Barney but in Final Wars he genuinely would not look out of place in a Barney episode. Putting him right next to a couple humans definitely doesn't help.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Smuggers wrote:I know people to say Minilla looks like Barney but in Final Wars he genuinely would not look out of place in a Barney episode. Putting him right next to a couple humans definitely doesn't help.
Agreed.

I honestly think I prefer Little Godzilla over GFW's take on Minira. At least that version was fully committed to its own cutesy aesthetic.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

if I were to rank Baby Godzillas, my list would probably go

Showa Minya
Baby
Kamata Kun/Shinagagwa Kun
Junior
Little
Fillius
The 1998 babies
Final Minya

RIP Evan.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

eabaker wrote:Final Wars Minira looks very much like plastic. Showa Minira looked a lot more organic.
I can almost faintly pretend that's sort of true about Showa Minilla's body.

His head however looks more stiff and artificial than the hand puppets from G54.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Wed May 01, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

As much as I like Son of Godzilla, I just do not like Minilla/Minya (any version of him). At all. Not even in the "so ugly it's cute" kind of way. There are cute moments in the movie, but he is just so gross to look at. I've preferred the designs of every other version of Godzilla's offspring to him. Even the abomination that is Little Godzilla. I've tried to understand what fans mean when they say they like him the best, but I guess I just don't get it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

A Cybernetic Possum
GPN Volunteer

Post by A Cybernetic Possum »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:As much as I like Son of Godzilla, I just do not like Minilla/Minya (any version of him). At all. Not even in the "so ugly it's cute" kind of way. There are cute moments in the movie, but he is just so gross to look at. I've preferred the designs of every other version of Godzilla's offspring to him. Even the abomination that is Little Godzilla. I've tried to understand what fans mean when they say they like him the best, but I guess I just don't get it.
All of this
I think I posted something a couple years ago about Minya looking like a turtle/turd hybrid and I've never really been able to see him any other way
I will say I think he's considerably less offensive in Final Wars, though

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Minilla is a much more interesting character than Jr in my opinion.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Thu May 02, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Minilla is a much more interesting character that Jr in my opinion.
Gotta agree with this man

SoggyNoodles2016

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Minilla is a much more interesting character than Jr in my opinion.

RIP Evan.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Minilla is a much more interesting character than Jr in my opinion.
But he doesn't even have a character arc!
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Baby Godzilla is the only thing I really like about Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II, but I still greatly prefer Showa Minya. He has a lot more charm and personality, in my opinion.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I love Godzilla Vs Megalon including the characters. It's such a goofy little movie. Also I've been rereading The Big Book of Japanese Monsters: The Lost Films and after reading the plots of some of those unmade Showa scripts I wish some of them were actually made. I'd really like to see the original Two Godzillas! and its take on Minya. Seemed a lot closer to what we got with Jr in the Heisei series. If you haven't checked this book out it's well worth reading.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I've had this nagging thought for a while that's only been reaffirmed by recent viewings of the series, but of Godzilla's allies, I don't really view Rodan as a friend like Anguirus came to be known as.

For some reason, Rodan just strikes me more as that rival that'll begrudgingly help out when the situation calls for it, but will gladly go back to butting heads when the crisis is over. Kinda like Vegeta from the DB franchise.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

SoggyNoodles2016

Agree 100%

Rodan is the "full of himself jerk who turns out to have a soft side" of the Showa supporting cast in my mind. He's the Flash Thompson of kaiju.

RIP Evan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

So is it more of a confession at this point to say you hate Minya and that Jr is the superior incarnation?

What strange times we live in...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

NSZ wrote:I've had this nagging thought for a while that's only been reaffirmed by recent viewings of the series, but of Godzilla's allies, I don't really view Rodan as a friend like Anguirus came to be known as.

For some reason, Rodan just strikes me more as that rival that'll begrudgingly help out when the situation calls for it, but will gladly go back to butting heads when the crisis is over. Kinda like Vegeta from the DB franchise.
That holds true for a majority of monsters actually. Really the only major allies Godzilla has had are Angurius, Jet Jaguar and King Ceaser.

Anyways, when I was younger:
I remember getting a Baragon Toy before seeing GMK. I thought Baragon was actually a new version of Angurius at the time. To be fair, I was 5 at the time, and Angurius and Baragon both are brown quadrupeds with back fins.

Another big dumb thing was how, based on the back of the box description, I was scared to watch Godzilla vs Megalon (I’m not kidding), because I thought that Megalon was related to the Shokirus and I had been scared by the scene from the 1984 film.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon May 13, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've never seen the MST3K showing of G vs Megalon. I find MST3K funny most of the time, and I'd like to see how the ham it up with Godzilla. I know about their version of the JJ song, but I'd love to hear what they say about G vs Megalon.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I actually really like the anime Ghidorah

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

edgaguirus wrote:I've never seen the MST3K showing of G vs Megalon. I find MST3K funny most of the time, and I'd like to see how the ham it up with Godzilla. I know about their version of the JJ song, but I'd love to hear what they say about G vs Megalon.
Honestly I’ve seen it so many times it’s just not funny anymore, Sea Monster on the other hand still gets a good chuckle from me time to find.

You can find both online if you’re interested.
Facts don't care about your feelings

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I don't think Mothra vs Godzilla recieves enough praise. Yeah, it did get rereleased several times in Japan (for good reason too), but I feel like it should get the same amount of attention and praise the original Godzilla did.
The original Godzilla is great not because it's the original, but because it's a well done film. So is MvG. It has this beautiful, magical feel to it, that is swallowed by the greed of Kumayama and Torahata - who are probably one of the best pair of villians ever who are memorable with the shortish screentime they got. I could go on and on with the unique scenes this film had.

I also think monsters don't have to look "hip, cool, and badass" to be accepted, but rather they should have an impact on the audience. That's the reason why the Big G, King Kong, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah have stayed revelant for so long.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos