Gamera in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26327&p=1472505
User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11983
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby miguelnuva » Thu May 02, 2019 11:48 am

Godzillian wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Toho rejected a crossover because they would be getting half the profit and the market was already in dwindling down.

I stand by my orginal statement, if the MV continues past GvsK and starts doing better and better we may see Gamera show up and they should introduce in Godzilla vs Gamera first.

Godzilla and Kong are household names. Why would Legendary bother using a character that is basically unknown outside of Japan and kaiju fandom? Why pay for the rights to Gamera when they have Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah on top of their two flagship characters?


Because

1. Legendary has hardcore kaiju fans working who likely know Gamera.

2. Gamera has had two Simpson's cameos alongside Godzilla and a panel at NYCC so not that unknown.

3. Iron Man and some of the most popular mcu charcters were also unknown to the GA at first and now look.

Charcters have to be built up.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
Cookson
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2811
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 am

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Cookson » Thu May 02, 2019 11:59 am

This is obvious, but we have to get through GKotM and GvsK with healthy box office results before we start giving LESSER known Kaiju their own movies etc.

That’s what I want more than anything... Monsterverse films that don’t have the words Godzilla or Kong in the title, but those two characters have to be majorly successful before they do more with others since they’re their main money makers. Kaiju Hollywood films aren’t cheap.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu May 02, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

User avatar
Vakanai
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Vakanai » Thu May 02, 2019 12:10 pm

Cookson wrote:This is obvious, but we have to get through GKotM and GvsK with healthy box office results before we start giving LESSER known Kaiju their own movies etc.

Well obviously, but then we'd have nothing to discuss or speculate about, so we just assume that those two movies will at least be as successful as the first two if not more so and go from there. If they're successful, could Gamera be in the MV? Probably won't be, but no real reason why not.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Godzillian » Thu May 02, 2019 12:11 pm

Cookson wrote:This is obvious, but we have to get through GKotM and GvsK with healthy box office results before we start giving LESSER known Kaiju their own movies etc.

That’s what I want more than anything... Monsterverse films that don’t have the words Godzilla or Kong in the title, but those two characters have to be majorly successful before they do more with others since they’re their main money makers. Kaiju Hollywood films aren’t cheap.

I totally agree, I'd love some monsterverse originals but time will tell
Image

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Smuggers » Thu May 02, 2019 1:44 pm

miguelnuva wrote:Gamera has had two Simpson's cameos

Well I guess now they have to put him in the monsterverse.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:34 am

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Ben Shapiro » Thu May 02, 2019 2:10 pm

Smuggers wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Gamera has had two Simpson's cameos

Well I guess now they have to put him in the monsterverse.

Damn, these arguments for Gamera just keep getting better and better.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Thu May 02, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5661
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby _JNavs_ » Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 pm

I'd say he has a much better chance than someone like Ultraman.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11983
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby miguelnuva » Thu May 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Smuggers wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Gamera has had two Simpson's cameos

Well I guess now they have to put him in the monsterverse.


Yep let's selective post to try and tear down an argument.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
Nathus214
Interpol Agent
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 am
Location: Somewhere in hell

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Nathus214 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:13 pm

I don't know if this means anything but everyone and their pet uh turtle names their pet turtle/tortoise Gamera. They know the name probably.
Chris55 wrote:Godzilla: Green bikini edition


Ben Shapiro wrote:Just got back from Endgame, the audience all fell to their knees during Godzilla’s trailer. The weeping and applauding grew so loud towards the end- it was almost deafening. The trailer was so good in fact, nearly everyone rose from their seats as soon as it was over and just left!

Talk about a reaction.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5661
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby _JNavs_ » Thu May 02, 2019 4:20 pm

That's definitely true, I feel like 4/5 turtles are named Gamera.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Smuggers » Thu May 02, 2019 4:28 pm

miguelnuva wrote:Yep let's selective post to try and tear down an argument.

Sorry if my joke cut too deep but your argument was literally "Hardcore kaiju fans at Legendary" (complete conjecture, Thomas Tull is the one who really pushed for giant monster films and he doesn't even work there anymore), " Dude, Simpsons references" and "But Marvel!". If Legendary wants to go for Gamera they can but there's currently absolutely nothing suggesting they will.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Online
User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14179
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu May 02, 2019 4:34 pm

Comparing Gamera to Iron Man is dumb. One has the capacity of being played by a recognizable actor and the other would be nothing more than a CGI creation. Iron Man became a cultural icon because of RDJ. Gamera will not have the same luxury.
Image

User avatar
Rokmutul
Ronin
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Rokmutul » Thu May 02, 2019 4:39 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:Comparing Gamera to Iron Man is dumb. One has the capacity of being played by a recognizable actor and the other would be nothing more than a CGI creation. Iron Man became a cultural icon because of RDJ. Gamera will not have the same luxury.

This.
Kaiju don't have the luxury of having human drama or major character development or even be relatable for the audience because well...they're 300 ft beasts. The best comparison would be Groot since he barely talks and is completely CG.

Online
User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14179
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu May 02, 2019 4:50 pm

And even then Groot still isn't that compatible because his voice actor is still a pretty high profile actor.
Image

User avatar
Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:34 am

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Ben Shapiro » Thu May 02, 2019 6:28 pm

miguelnuva wrote:
Smuggers wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Gamera has had two Simpson's cameos

Well I guess now they have to put him in the monsterverse.


Yep let's selective post to try and tear down an argument.

It… wasn’t a very good argument though.
Facts don't care about your feelings

User avatar
Rokmutul
Ronin
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Rokmutul » Thu May 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Once the Monsterverse becomes a major success, then we'll see Gamera. It all really depends on how G: KOTM performs to see if the chance of the Monsterverse being a major success is possible. Let's say it does a staggering $800 million-$1 billion. G v K comes around and then makes $1 billion. Then at this rate, Gamera could realistically be apart of the Monsterverse. If this doesn't happen, the friend of all children will not be in this universe.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11983
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby miguelnuva » Thu May 02, 2019 6:54 pm

Ben Shapiro wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Smuggers wrote:Well I guess now they have to put him in the monsterverse.


Yep let's selective post to try and tear down an argument.

It… wasn’t a very good argument though.


The argument was no one outside of Japan onew Gamera, I mentioned the two cameos and a panel at nycc.

Added in 3 minutes 7 seconds:
Smuggers wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Yep let's selective post to try and tear down an argument.

Sorry if my joke cut too deep but your argument was literally "Hardcore kaiju fans at Legendary" (complete conjecture, Thomas Tull is the one who really pushed for giant monster films and he doesn't even work there anymore), " Dude, Simpsons references" and "But Marvel!". If Legendary wants to go for Gamera they can but there's currently absolutely nothing suggesting they will.


Doughtery is a fan and Tull is still at Legendary. The Simpsons and Nycc were brought up to show Gamera was not only know in America.

Marvel was used to show that unknown properties can be made popular with the right team behind them. My argument isn't that Gamers is going to be in the monsterverse my argument is that I don't think he's an impossibility if the MV gets more successful.

Added in 2 minutes 13 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote:Comparing Gamera to Iron Man is dumb. One has the capacity of being played by a recognizable actor and the other would be nothing more than a CGI creation. Iron Man became a cultural icon because of RDJ. Gamera will not have the same luxury.


RDJ was just one part of Iron Man's success. If Gamera had a big budget introduction like the Shibuya scene it could help him out.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2298
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Smuggers » Thu May 02, 2019 7:28 pm

I'd forgotten about Tull coming back. Still, I think GvK was the big thing he was gunning for and Dougherty's just a director they hired, he doesn't have big clout at the studio. I think he'd sooner see Trick r Treat 2 than Gamera in the Monsterverse anyway. Nobody's trying to argue that literally nobody knows who Gamera is, and pointing out a references in tv show isn't proving anything but the writer knowing who he is. There's no way to tell if the viewers recognized him. NYCC is for nerd stuff anyway so I don't know why that'd be a shocker, but man did that end up going anywhere. Maybe Gamera should get his own series back on track before he starts making guest appearances overseas. So I don't really think he's poised to show up.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
Rokmutul
Ronin
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby Rokmutul » Thu May 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Let's say Gamera is somehow introduced into the Monsterverse, what would be the best route to introduce him in? In a Godzilla vs Gamera film? Godzilla 3/4/5 etc with Gamera just in the mix? Gamera solo film?

Online
User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14179
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu May 02, 2019 8:12 pm

Rokmutul wrote:Let's say Gamera is somehow introduced into the Monsterverse, what would be the best route to introduce him in? In a Godzilla vs Gamera film? Godzilla 3/4/5 etc with Gamera just in the mix? Gamera solo film?


Godzilla vs. Gamera. He would need the bump to become anywhere close to relevant.
Image


Return to “MonsterVerse (2014-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tyrantgoji and 6 guests