Monster Discussion #46: Mothra (1992)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
The Royal SCP
Yojimbo

Re: Monster Discussion #46: Mothra (1992)

Post by The Royal SCP »

Zarm wrote:
The Royal SCP wrote:Please don't hate on me, but GMK is the worst one and ROM/Tokyo SOS/Battle For Earth is the best one, in my opinion, for the design!
What makes GMK the worst one for you? I must say, I rather liked the agility of it. Hardly my favorite Mothra, but...
It doesn't sit well with me! I like it, but it, I don't know why, doesn't look right!
The TRUE Royal SCP

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Maybe because it was a little wasp like?

On topic, the Heisei version is alright, but the wings were too fuzzy for me.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

The interesting thing about this Mothra to me is the fact that she didn't start spamming beams until AFTER she shared energy with Battra. It's very possible that Battra gave Mothra her powers after they agreed to help each other out. That's why Mothra didn't fight back after the initial clash with Battra. She didn't have the ability to combat his beams

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Aside from the AWFUL flying effects, this is a good Mothra. I think the beam spam suits this incarnation but she also does a decent amount of melee fighting as well. I also like that she returns to a slightly antagonistic role.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

godzilla1541 wrote:The interesting thing about this Mothra to me is the fact that she didn't start spamming beams until AFTER she shared energy with Battra. It's very possible that Battra gave Mothra her powers after they agreed to help each other out. That's why Mothra didn't fight back after the initial clash with Battra. She didn't have the ability to combat his beams
That's an interesting observation. I never thought about it.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

godzilla1541 wrote:The interesting thing about this Mothra to me is the fact that she didn't start spamming beams until AFTER she shared energy with Battra. It's very possible that Battra gave Mothra her powers after they agreed to help each other out. That's why Mothra didn't fight back after the initial clash with Battra. She didn't have the ability to combat his beams
I have never noticed this. Going to have to pay attention to this the next time I watch.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I wish we got a film where she teamed up with Jr.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

I just wanted Battra in the RoM series, that’d be a better payoff.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Not my favorite Mothra, but I prefer it to the Showa and GMK designs. Tokyo S.O.S./Final Wars Mothra is the best design for me. I just thought this one was maybe a bit too chubby, especially in the legs.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

TheDolphinKaijuGod
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheDolphinKaijuGod »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:Not my favorite Mothra, but I prefer it to the Showa and GMK designs. Tokyo S.O.S./Final Wars Mothra is the best design for me. I just thought this one was maybe a bit too chubby, especially in the legs.
Fat shaming moths...smh...
Resized Image