Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Dr. Professor »

I'm fond of the game as well. My biggest issue is the lack of local multiplayer though.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

My issues were the lackluster environments, the repetitive, mindless gameplay and the upgrade system being very grindy and uninteresting for anyone who isn't Godzilla. I'm just glad I got it for five bucks. I get that it's authentic but I don't think that makes it a good game, which seemed to be a pretty unpopular opinion for people in the know about Godzilla. I remember back during the release and G-fans just assumed that everyone giving it the stick "Didn't get it".
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Smuggers wrote:My issues were the lackluster environments, the repetitive, mindless gameplay and the upgrade system being very grindy and uninteresting for anyone who isn't Godzilla. I'm just glad I got it for five bucks. I get that it's authentic but I don't think that makes it a good game, which seemed to be a pretty unpopular opinion for people in the know about Godzilla. I remember back during the release and G-fans just assumed that everyone giving it the stick "Didn't get it".
Pretty much my thoughts as well. There's too much of a grind to properly enjoy it and the combat system is bugged as all hell with no way to block without wasting energy or characters spamming frame-perfect combos that lock you into a one-hit-kill move.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Smuggers wrote:My issues were the lackluster environments, the repetitive, mindless gameplay and the upgrade system being very grindy and uninteresting for anyone who isn't Godzilla. I'm just glad I got it for five bucks. I get that it's authentic but I don't think that makes it a good game, which seemed to be a pretty unpopular opinion for people in the know about Godzilla. I remember back during the release and G-fans just assumed that everyone giving it the stick "Didn't get it".
Pretty much my thoughts as well. There's too much of a grind to properly enjoy it and the combat system is bugged as all hell with no way to block without wasting energy or characters spamming frame-perfect combos that lock you into a one-hit-kill move.
It reminds me of Godzilla Generations. Less of a game and more of a Godzilla simulator.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Honestly, as much as I appreciate how much love went into the PS4 game, and can even enjoy it on that merit alone... I just don't believe it's possible to make a truly faithful Godzilla game that is very fun. Simply put, it will never be fun to simulate wearing a 30kg rubber suit, and partaking in abstract wrestling matches where whoever is bigger or cheaper wins. It pains me to say it, but Godzilla may simply not translate to video games very well, or at least not simulators or fighting games. I do believe a formula may exist which could truly make a Godzilla fighting game/simulator fun, but it would take quite a bit of talent and vision to make it work.

The best attempt thus far is likely the Pipeworks trilogy, but it could never quite click with me. Some of the monster designs were... strange, the beam attacks were incredibly unsatisfying (especially in Unleashed), the tones was always a touch too comical for my tastes, and the combat overall never felt right for me. Even so, their rosters were always satisfactory, and even though it could never quite appeal to me, I do believe the combat was a very good attempt at a giant monster brawler, especially the first two installments.

In short, I don't believe making a good Godzilla game is as easy as it sounds. There have been many attempts in the past, but none of them could quite get the formula right, in my opinion.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I liked the Pipeworks games. I'll agree they were deficient in many ways but I found them fun. A fighting game seems to me the best way to do a Godzilla game
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

TheDolphinKaijuGod
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheDolphinKaijuGod »

I like the 2004 Anguirus design far more than the showa design.
Resized Image 

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

UltramanGoji wrote:
People talk about Godzilla PS4 as though its accuracy to the films is its downfall, and I couldn’t disagree harder. Its problems are completely unrelated to accuracy, and in some cases work against that end.

Sometimes the game just screws you over against hopelessly overpowered kaiju to the point where you’re better off letting the inevitable happen.

The score multiplier is a cool idea, but since it only goes up when you’re destroying things, it quickly becomes obvious that each city has an ideal route to take - always the same for each kaiju - and before long you’ll be hitting each city as if you’re mowing your back yard. Add to this the fact that most of the stages appear twice per playthrough, and you have a recipe for ultimate monotony.

The upgrade system is grindy and unforgiving. Not only are your upgrade points locked to each kaiju, but kaiju “parts” are required for each upgrade. About half of the roster is unbearable to play as until you’ve leveled up their energy blocks and regeneration factor, and when you do upgrade them, you have to restart your playthrough with said kaiju in order to feel the effects. Wanna be Anguirus? Great! Just play through 2/3rds of “Invade” and then level up, then restart the whole thing and play it for real. Full upgrades will require at least 2 more playthroughs by the way.

The game also has a frankly unacceptable air of cheapness to it, at least for something that launched at 60 dollars. Music is extremely limited and repetitive. Skyboxes are confined, blocky, ugly, and warped. Many of the beams, while beautifully film-accurate, are blatantly 2D effects as you turn the camera. The image lacks any kind of realistic lighting, and worse, there are no signs of life, anywhere. The streets are just barren. These aspects give the game a very artificial feel, far removed from the grainy, gritty tone of Godzilla’s best outings.

Then you have the lack of variety in objectives. I don’t even need to comment here, everyone knows what I’m talking about.

And yet, I’ve sunken countless hours into the game. I don’t know why. There are certainly aspects I’m drawn to, like the kaiju’s sound effects for example. I can also appreciate the frame rate. But man, it’s annoying how people can call this game anything better than mediocre. It’s kind of a piece of shit, honestly, but if you’re a Godzilla fan it’s worth buying now that it’s dirt cheap.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

The only monsters that seriously screwed me over and made me want to hurl my bloody controller into the nearest wall, were both of Battra’s forms and Mothra Larvae. Fuck them. Those three are, for me anyway in my experience playing, the cheapest and most rage inducing enemies in the game, especially Battra adult. If you don’t get the first hit in or keep up the pressure to stagger him relentlessly, then be prepared to get stun locked into absolute oblivion whilst desperately trying to spam your block, only to be red screened and then killed.

I honestly think that the way Godzilla PS4 handled Battra further enhanced my disdain for him.

#BotM

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

TheDolphinKaijuGod wrote:I like the 2004 Anguirus design far more than the showa design.
The face was a bit short for me, but it was good design otherwise.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

As happy as I am for the new Dougherty film and what seems to be a fun monster rumble, I've only seen the first trailer and really have no strong excitement or interest in seeing the new film at all.

Granted, I finally got the film I wanted for years in Shin Godzilla, and ever since then I've been putting Godzilla related news and films on the back-burner.
Last edited by ToxicLove on Thu May 02, 2019 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ToxicLove wrote:As happy as I am for the new Dougherty film and what seems to be a fun monster rumble, I've only seen the first trailer and really have no strong excitement or interest in seeing the new film at all.
That was my take on the first trailer, too. Then I watched the second one. There's a difference, trust me. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

JAGzilla wrote: That was my take on the first trailer, too. Then I watched the second one. There's a difference, trust me. :lol:
Oh I'm sure there is! Nor do I want to rain on anyone's parade regarding the film. But I really can't muster up the same level of excitement I felt over 3 years ago when news of Shin Godzilla was reaching us daily.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

“VS series” > “Heisei series”
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I am not quite sure if this qualifies, but I actually dislike how Monsterverse Ghidorah's necks illuminate when he is about to expel lightning. I do understand why this design choice was made, but it's a touch... jarring, in my opinion. I absolutely adore its design overall, however, so this doesn't truly detract from how I view Monsterverse Ghidorah.
Last edited by The Baranosdragon on Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Terasawa wrote:“VS series” > “Heisei series”
X series > Millennium series
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Everything < Showa series
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I think I might actually prefer the Millennium Series over the Heisei series as a whole.

Or maybe I've just been stuck with Sony's crappy-ass Heisei dubs for too long.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu May 02, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I think I might actually prefer the Millennium Series over the Heisei series as a whole.

The dubs for the millennium films are pretty much the same but that's just an issue if you don't do subs
Last edited by Godzillian on Thu May 02, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JAGzilla wrote:Everything < Showa series
I absolutely agree. But my previous post was in reference to the two most popular names for the 84-95 films as a series.
Godzillian wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:I think I might actually prefer the Millennium Series over the Heisei series as a whole.

The dubs for the millennium films are pretty much the same but that's just an issue if you don't do subs
Yeah, most of the same personnel worked on the MGII - GFW dubs. A few of the actors also worked on the earlier GvBiollante - GvMothra dubs (and an earlier dub for MGII that hasn't surfaced anywhere.) Like everything other Toho export version from 1971 to 2004 they were dubbed in Hong Kong for Toho, not Sony.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.