Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
goji89
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by goji89 »

Many posters have the same skyline effect. Im not really seeing the connection myself, although I can see similarities.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Godzilla vs. Biollante is widely regarded as one of the best Godzilla films but, I'm sorry, y'all. I just don't see it. I don't dislike it by any stretch of the imagination, there are definitely good things in it, but ultimately it's a story that I just can't connect with.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I don't like Super Godzilla. The concept is fine, but I can never get behind the design. It's literally a recolor of Spacegodzilla.

Added in 51 seconds:
Dr. Professor wrote:Godzilla vs. Biollante is widely regarded as one of the best Godzilla films but, I'm sorry, y'all. I just don't see it. I don't dislike it by any stretch of the imagination, there are definitely good things in it, but ultimately it's a story that I just can't connect with.
While I see why people like it and I have fondness for it myself, I'd be lying if I said I don't feel like it's overhyped.

That, and the characters really aren't much.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:That, and the characters really aren't much.
I don't think Kirishima and Asuka are all that interesting, but I find Kuroki, Gondo, Miki and Shirigami to all be pretty unique and compelling characters within the franchise.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I don't like Super Godzilla. The concept is fine, but I can never get behind the design. It's literally a recolor of Spacegodzilla.
Super Godzilla actually predates SpaceGodzilla by a year or so.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

TheDolphinKaijuGod
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheDolphinKaijuGod »

Terasawa wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I don't like Super Godzilla. The concept is fine, but I can never get behind the design. It's literally a recolor of Spacegodzilla.
Super Godzilla actually predates SpaceGodzilla by a year or so.
So... Space Godzilla is literally a recolor of Super Godzilla...Damn.
Resized Image 

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Considering Super Godzilla's release date, I feel like it's more likely he was, shall we say, inspired by Spacegodzilla concept art

RIP Evan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The date on this Minoru Yoshida Super G concept art looks like "'92" to me. "Super Godzilla" was released in Japan in December of 1993, so design work would have had to have been done earlier that year at the very latest. According to Yoshida, who also developed SpaceGodzilla, "preparation work for Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla was done in tandem with the shooting of Yamato Takeru (1994)." (Tokusatsu Hiho Vol. 6). Source. YT was released in July 1994, so design and development work would have been done in late '93 (after Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla had wrapped) and into the beginning of '94. This early SpaceGodzilla concept is clearly dated March 13, 1994, confirming that. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla was released in December 1994.

I think the typical production window for the '90s Godzilla films was probably like:
  • Story development from December of the previous year through early spring.
  • Pre-prod and concept design in spring
  • Production starting in late summer and early fall
  • Post-prod through fall
  • Release in December
Edit: Ed G. here talks about the compressed schedule Biollante was shot under, but he clarifies that most Godzillas during this period were made from January-December. He covered the production and release of these films for his own fanzine and later for G-Fan so he should know.
It had been in development for nearly five years and suddenly, at the end of May 1989, it was like, “Okay! Lets go ahead with Godzilla!” Usually they decide in January or February to do that. So everything was this enormous last minute push to get everything done on a highly shortened schedule.
For example, the gigantic Biollante suit that they use at the end of the film, I call it the Wakasa Version because that's the location of the fight, that wasn't even delivered to the studio until the last week of October. They had a week and a half to two weeks worth of filming with it. Afterwards special effects filming wrapped. So they were down to the last second of getting the final version of Biollante into the film. It was quite a rush job.
I think it's pretty clear that the Super Godzilla concept was done well in advance of GvSG. There may have been some consideration for a SpaceGodzilla starting in '93 or earlier, but it's clear from the concept art for that film that the character design phase began in 1994, after the SuperFamicom game was released.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Yoshida was also seemingly one of the last designers to get involved with SpaceGodzilla's design process. The character had already gone through several designs and alternate concepts by Shinji Nishikawa before they finally settled on the "crystal Godzilla" angle Shinichiro Kobayashi proposed and Yoshida finalized the concept and recycled his Super Godzilla design. This presumably would have been near the end of the early pre-production and concept design phase, so I imagine it would have been well after Super Godzilla was already released. I obviously don't know for certain, but there was definitely a lot of design work done on SpaceGodzilla well before Yoshida's design was chosen.

I also believe it is stated outright in Heisei Godzilla Perfection that SpaceGodzilla's design was recycled fro Super Godzilla's rather than vice-versa.
Last edited by King of the Monsters on Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

_JNavs_ wrote:Imo the G14 poster is a homage to the Cloverfield poster from back in the day.

Jesus, this takes me back - I actually shopped them together the day the Godzilla poster got released. Good times.

goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Can of Conspiracy wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Imo the G14 poster is a homage to the Cloverfield poster from back in the day.

Jesus, this takes me back - I actually shopped them together the day the Godzilla poster got released. Good times.

That is sick! I was going to switch the colors of the pics to see if they resembled each other more, but this is perfect!

They blend so naturally together.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Can of Conspiracy wrote:

Godzilla attacking New Francisco...that's a new one
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
Can of Conspiracy wrote:

Godzilla attacking New Francisco...that's a new one
Maybe Godzilla carried it ALL the way to San Francisco.....like a sovernier. :lol: .

I really hope he got his I heart NY shirt

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

- Rodan (1956) is boring
- Godzilla vs Megaguirus is a great film
- Godzilla 1984 is superior to the original 1954 film
- GMK is my all time favorite Godzilla movie

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Kinggoji1962 wrote: - Godzilla vs Megaguirus is a great film
How so?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Kinggoji1962 wrote: - Godzilla vs Megaguirus is a great film
How so?
I liked the action, characters, and plot. Also Megaguirus is an awesome new monster. It's still the second weakest of the Millennium series though, however that's not saying much as the entire series is strong all around.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Personally, GvMega was an okay movie, but GXM improved it on almost every level.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Personally, GvMega was an okay movie, but GXM improved it on almost every level.
Yeah GXM is my second favorite Millennium movie.

TheDolphinKaijuGod
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheDolphinKaijuGod »

Despite the Smash3 Goji model being the most accurate G14 model (I think), I personally hate the look of it.
Resized Image 

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I quite like the PS4 game, love it actually. It really reminds of the old days when playing video games didn’t involve any hassle; you just brought the game home, put it into the disk tray or slot, and within a couple of minutes, you were knee deep in the game (Godzilla PS4 didn’t take any time at all to install, and it’s incredibly fast to load everything). It’s a game where I can just sit back, relax and have a ton of fun blowing stuff up with some of my favorite monsters for a good hour.

The monsters themselves feel so heavy and powerful to control, and once you do get the tank controls, they’re pretty simple to pick up and play. And, above all else, Godzilla PS4 just feels like a Godzilla movie in a way that no other game in the franchise has, even the amazing Atari ones. It’s clear that the developers, at least at the time, genuinely loved and appreciated the franchise and wanted to make a fun game. To me, they succeeded in just that. The game has a ton a problems and can definitely get repetitive, but I don’t care man, I enjoy the hell out of it.

#BotM