Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4012
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:49 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:(looks at lava pterosaur, laser light show moth, lightning dragon, insect/reptile/mammal hybrids, an island nearly entirely made of plant-animal hybrids, and the literal million year old lizard who breathes fire)

yeah, you're right, a giant robot would totally break my suspension of disbelief

Hmmm so then why do you guys keep always saying that the MonsterVerse is realism? *Whistles*


No one is. People stopped saying that years ago. The only people still saying that are people who want to act like realism equals better movie.
Image

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.


fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10921
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Tell that to people like Sensei and Ryguy...
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4012
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:51 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Tell that to people like Sensei and Ryguy...


oh, I forgot two dudes speak for the entire fandom and people aren't allowed to have different opinions. Sorry for disrespecting the great wisdom of Ryguy and Sensei.
Image

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.


fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10921
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Sorry its just this whole realism irks me because whenever I propose ideas of drifting slowly away from realism those are the kind of members I tend to talk things over with rather coincidentally...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4921
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:52 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Tell that to people like Sensei and Ryguy...



I'm sorry. Is everybody here just a carbon copy of those two? Because you definitely ascribed the supposed opinions of two people here to the rest of the community.
Last edited by HeiseiGodzilla117 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4012
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:54 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Sorry it just irks me because whenever I propose ideas of drifting slowly away from realism those are the kind of members I tend to talk things over with rather coincidentally...


I feel you man. I want realism as in you can kind of see this happening with the way people act and the ecosystem of kaiju people make up work. Besides that, go skreeonking nuts. Have fun with it. Don't let "Muh Realism!!!11!" stop your ideas. Jet Jaguar isn't realistic and I don't want to live in a world where that happens.

Honestly, I thought you were arguing for more so called realism in the Monsterverse so I'm glad to know we actually share the same opinion, 90s.
Image

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.


fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10921
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:56 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I feel you man. I want realism as in you can kind of see this happening with the way people act and the ecosystem of kaiju people make up work. Besides that, go skreeonking nuts. Have fun with it. Don't let "Muh Realism!!!11!" stop your ideas. Jet Jaguar isn't realistic and I don't want to live in a world where that happens.

Honestly, I thought you were arguing for more so called realism in the Monsterverse so I'm glad to know we actually share the same opinion, 90s.

And even then I don't get them. So they'd rather the MonsterVerse if continuing after GvK to be stale and repetitive with only prehistoric leftovers rather then doing new routes like supernatural, mythological/mystical, aliens, bio-engineering and such? Another reason I'd like the MonsterVerse to drift away from the realism.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
Gerdzerl
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3438
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:16 pm
Location: Inside an 80's neon space station in high orbit
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Gerdzerl » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:16 pm

If Mechagodzilla appears in the MonsterVerse, why couldn't the entry he appears in take place decades into the future, long after the events of Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Godzilla vs. Kong? If those two, in-universe, take place in 2019-2020, have Mechagodzilla appear around 30-50 years afterward, like 2049/2050-2069/2070. If audiences can accept all the stuff in Kong: Skull Island taking place in 1973, then why wouldn't they be okay with Mechagodzilla appearing, in-universe, nearly a century afterwards?
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
G2000
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby G2000 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:G-Fest sounds like hell


This, as a whole cons really aren't my thing. There may be some really cool stuff there but I really don't want to spend lots of money and fly halfway across the country and interact with some of the most cringe-inducing people I could come into contact with to do it
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5487
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:55 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Tell that to people like Sensei and Ryguy...

I'm pretty sure those guys haven't posted in a long while, so.

Gerdzerl wrote:If Mechagodzilla appears in the MonsterVerse, why couldn't the entry he appears in take place decades into the future, long after the events of Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Godzilla vs. Kong? If those two, in-universe, take place in 2019-2020, have Mechagodzilla appear around 30-50 years afterward, like 2049/2050-2069/2070. If audiences can accept all the stuff in Kong: Skull Island taking place in 1973, then why wouldn't they be okay with Mechagodzilla appearing, in-universe, nearly a century afterwards?

I dunno man, your idea is pretty crazy.

Yeah, I would be fine with it, especially since it sounds like the world's going to need time to rebuild after KOTM & vK.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.


Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

User avatar
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5789
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Godzillian » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 am

G2000 wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:G-Fest sounds like hell


This, as a whole cons really aren't my thing. There may be some really cool stuff there but I really don't want to spend lots of money and fly halfway across the country and interact with some of the most cringe-inducing people I could come into contact with to do it

Isn't that ironic to hear on TK :lol:
Image

User avatar
G2000
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby G2000 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:02 am

Godzillian wrote:Isn't that ironic to hear on TK :lol:

Yeah but at least this way I don’t have to smell you guys
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:48 am

Imagine the overwhelming stench of soy
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

User avatar
Smuggers
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2321
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Smuggers » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:08 am

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Imagine the overwhelming stench of soy

Wouldn't B.O. be more prevalent? What does soy even smell like?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:09 am

Smuggers wrote:Wouldn't B.O. be more prevalent? What does soy even smell like?


Estrogen
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

User avatar
Smuggers
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2321
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Smuggers » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:09 am

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Smuggers wrote:Wouldn't B.O. be more prevalent? What does soy even smell like?

Estrogen

What does Estrogen smell like?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:13 am

Smuggers wrote:What does Estrogen smell like?


Ask your mom
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10921
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:16 pm

The Heisei Gamera Trilogy I think are better than Godzilla (1954). Though the latter comes a close second when it comes to favorite giant monster films and also up there with Kong: Skull Island and the original 1933 film.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby Terasawa » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:49 pm

More power to anyone that claims G54 as his or her favorite. I can’t. It’s a very good movie (the best of its genre) but boy is it ever depressing: Godzilla kills millions, Serizawa sacrifices himself, and not even the couple he gives his blessing to is happy at the film’s conclusion. Oh, and Yamane predicts another Godzilla will arrive if nuclear proliferation continues and he’s right.

That’s not even mentioning the sounds and images of the tortured victims, both those dying and those suffering the loss of another.

Like I said, it’s a powerful movie but not one I can watch constantly. I watched KOTM last week and although it’s not as harrowing as the original version, it still put me in a minor funk.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

User avatar
JAGzilla
Keizer
Posts: 7834
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Postby JAGzilla » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:06 pm

For me personally, I'm here first and foremost for the monster vs. monster battles. G54 is outstanding and certainly one of my favorites, but none of the solo kaiju films are ever going to top my list. *shrug* It's a simple and shallow reason, but there it is.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests