ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by MoarCrossovers »

LegendZilla wrote:
Birdman wrote:That's a risky venture, considering the reaction Kamen Rider fans had to implied gay sex scene.
Which series?
Rider Time Ryuki
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

LegendZilla wrote:This one YouTube video states that Taiga “Deep inside wishes his father Taro to understand and recognize him, but cannot admit his true feelings”.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-layDUyloQ[/yotube]

Could we be having our first gay Ultra in store?
It sounds like Taiga wants to prove himself to Taro, being the grandon of Ultra father, and son of Taro, feeling like he has to live up to everyone's expectations of being an elite Ultra warrior, or something like that.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

I hope they don't turn Taro into a dick like Seven and Leo
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

How did they turn Seven and Leo into dicks? To me, Leo has always been more of a serious Ultra. Could come across as a dick subjectively, but not objectively.

I think that, since this is a continuation of New Generation Heroes, Taro should have the same demeanor that he had in Ginga/Ginga S.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Darth Kiryu wrote:How did they turn Seven and Leo into dicks? To me, Leo has always been more of a serious Ultra. Could come across as a dick subjectively, but not objectively.

I think that, since this is a continuation of New Generation Heroes, Taro should have the same demeanor that he had in Ginga/Ginga S.

It’s inevitable that the same actor who voiced Taro in Ginga/Ginga S will return for this new series, so I’m sure they won’t mess with the character too much, because precedent. It’ll most likely be a rehash of the Seven/Zero dynamic.

Though it would be interesting to see a stern yet compassionate Taro.
Last edited by Millenial88 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Darth Kiryu wrote:How did they turn Seven and Leo into dicks? To me, Leo has always been more of a serious Ultra. Could come across as a dick subjectively, but not objectively.

Seven was pretty abusive in Leo. And in Mebius they turned Leo into a jerk for some reason.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

The Leo series utterly destroyed Ultra Seven's characterization. He became an utter worthless jackass who did nothing but treat Leo like a piece of shit instead of actually being a mentor.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:The Leo series utterly destroyed Ultra Seven's characterization. He became an utter worthless jackass who did nothing but treat Leo like a piece of poop instead of actually being a mentor.
That’s what I heard. But think about, there may be another side to things when you look at TV Tropes :

Dan may be frustrated with his current situation: He's powerless to stop possibly one of the most aggressive waves of kaiju ever, his men are constantly outgunned and being killed off left and right, and the only thing he has for backup is a hot-headed rookie. Of course he's going to project this on Gen as (sometimes) unreasonable expectations.

He may very well be suffering from PTSD. Back in the original show, his constant and escalating battles took a toll on his body, forcing him to go home. That, his subsequent adventures (on- and off-screen), plus his painful (and no doubt humiliating) defeat in Episode 1, had to hurt his spirit as well. He's a bit of a Death Seeker here, knowingly using his Ultra Psychokinesis until his face literally turns blue. You can tell his methods are pretty desperate at times. Also, others now look up to him, especially Leo. Dan's cross is not easy to bear.

It was probably just poor writing and execution, so I doubt it was TsuPro’s intention to have him come off that way. Do you think it would’ve helped if let’s say they made Gen Ohtori a smug, selfish asshole at the start of the series and upon initially joining the tutelage of Dan, he has tendency to insult Dan every now and then, which provokes Dan into getting abusive? Over the course of the series, Gen develops a stronger sense of responsibility and stops just thinking about himself as a result of his discipline. When Gen succeeds in his training sessions Dan praises him and gives him further encouragement.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Even Dan's actor has openly stated that he hated the way he was written in Leo.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gothicserpent wrote:Even Dan's actor has openly stated that he hated the way he was written in Leo.
What do you think of my direction as to how to improve things?

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

LegendZilla wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:Even Dan's actor has openly stated that he hated the way he was written in Leo.
What do you think of my direction as to how to improve things?
I like most of it. It would have worked if Gen was an asshole at the beginning and needed some discipline. But he was just so kind and timid that Dan came off as an abusive parent.

Not saying that physical abuse is right in any situation, but the fact that Gen never fought back or was stubborn just made the hole thing very hard to watch.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

LegendZilla wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:The Leo series utterly destroyed Ultra Seven's characterization. He became an utter worthless jackass who did nothing but treat Leo like a piece of poop instead of actually being a mentor.
That’s what I heard. But think about, there may be another side to things when you look at TV Tropes :

Dan may be frustrated with his current situation: He's powerless to stop possibly one of the most aggressive waves of kaiju ever, his men are constantly outgunned and being killed off left and right, and the only thing he has for backup is a hot-headed rookie. Of course he's going to project this on Gen as (sometimes) unreasonable expectations.

He may very well be suffering from PTSD. Back in the original show, his constant and escalating battles took a toll on his body, forcing him to go home. That, his subsequent adventures (on- and off-screen), plus his painful (and no doubt humiliating) defeat in Episode 1, had to hurt his spirit as well. He's a bit of a Death Seeker here, knowingly using his Ultra Psychokinesis until his face literally turns blue. You can tell his methods are pretty desperate at times. Also, others now look up to him, especially Leo. Dan's cross is not easy to bear.

It was probably just poor writing and execution, so I doubt it was TsuPro’s intention to have him come off that way. Do you think it would’ve helped if let’s say they made Gen Ohtori a smug, selfish asshole at the start of the series and upon initially joining the tutelage of Dan, he has tendency to insult Dan every now and then, which provokes Dan into getting abusive? Over the course of the series, Gen develops a stronger sense of responsibility and stops just thinking about himself as a result of his discipline. When Gen succeeds in his training sessions Dan praises him and gives him further encouragement.
It was definitely poor writing as Leo was just a poorly written show overall.

As for your concepts, while it's interesting, it still goes against Dan's character. The entire scenario dealing with Dan feels like something Zack Snyder would make up to give an excuse for a super hero to become a grim dark asshole like what he did with Batman and Superman.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

First look at Taiga Photon Earth, Hellberos, Segmegel, Knight Fang and the returning Ultraman 80 monster, Gymaira.

Taiga is confirmed to have a mother called Ultrawoman Kaguya.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Ultrawoman Kaguya? Keeping up with the theme of Japanese folklore.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Wow. Ultraman Titas is hella buff.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Birdman wrote:First look at Taiga Photon Earth, Hellberos, Segmegel, Knight Fang and the returning Ultraman 80 monster, Gymaira.
I'm really digging the looks of those new monsters. Hopefully the awesomeness translates over to the suits proper.

And I'm pleasantly surprised by Gymaira returning. Out of all the monsters that could've returned, I genuinely wasn't expecting him. I wonder if he'll still have that ability to turn people into monsters?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

A look at the Taiga Spark, Ultra Taiga Accessories and Tregear Eye. Galactron MK-2 may also be confirmed to appear.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Knight Fang is honestly ‘second-to-final episode’ tier imposing.

Here’s hoping the show doesn’t blow its creativity load so quickly.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Really happy that we're getting yet another Ultrawoman.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Millenial88 wrote:Knight Fang is honestly ‘second-to-final episode’ tier imposing.
Here’s hoping the show doesn’t blow its creativity load so quickly.
I hate to crush your hopes, but this is a timeline of the first 11 episodes.