Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by UltimateDitto »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So down the road eventually due to still having plenty of anime I have to still watch I'm gonna give One Punch Man. So I just wanted to ask in your guys opinion but how good is the show?
Definitely give it a watch! I enjoyed it tons!
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Post by MorgansTShirt »

Anyone else seen an anime called Mononoke? No, not Mononoke Hime, just Mononoke. It's probably the only anime TV series I can say I really, really enjoy. And it doesn't rely on those tired cliches of panty shots, bouncing boobs, pointless fight scenes, power of friendship, or pseudo-philosophic monologues derived from shallow Wikipedia articles or quick-and-easy self-help articles.

It's a series of surreal stories set during the Edo period of Japan, following a mysterious medicine man who heals people plagued by phantasmal entities. The narratives move forward like a mystifying flow of thoughts or dreams, and the visuals are so rich, colorful, and out of the ordinary; many frames are works of art in themselves! The way the medicine man unfolds the characters' psyches like multi-layered flowers also brings out a truly cathartic element I so rarely feel in TV shows.

Having recently studied Japanese history, with special interest in folklore, I'm also pleased with how these stories are so modern yet so cleverly express an attitude or reality that is prevalent in the world of folk culture.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:41 am, edited 6 times in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

On the subject of One Punch Man, the first episode of Season 2 premiered on Hulu today.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

One Punch Man is worth watching for Mumen Rider alone.

Stand-Up Pedal Mode....ACTIVATED!!! :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

One Punch Man is pretty fun. Though the last guy he fights at the end of season 1...the feels.

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Post by MorgansTShirt »

Hm... I remembered watching half of the first season of One Punch Man. I thought it was kinda funny and quirky and clever at times. Is it really worth finishing though if I initially thought it was just "meh" entertainment at best? I never got a feeling of forward momentum while watching the episodes go on.

Edit: to be fair, it's kinda rare for satires and parodies to impress me, so maybe that's my main issue with the first half at least. At the very least, I think satirical anime tend to be miles beyond the usual brainless fluff like Naruto or Gurren Lagann.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Big oof

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MorgansTShirt wrote: I think satirical anime tend to be miles beyond the usual brainless fluff like Naruto.
oof

Pain would like to speak with you.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

2004Zilla wrote:Big oof

Added in 2 days 18 hours 18 minutes 40 seconds:
Has anyone here seen any of Satoshi Kon's work?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Has anyone here seen any of Satoshi Kon's work?
So far I've only seen Perfect Blue, and I think that's the perfect one (no pun intended) to get started with on his work. It's an undeniable anime masterpiece.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

G-Matt wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:Has anyone here seen any of Satoshi Kon's work?
So far I've only seen Perfect Blue, and I think that's the perfect one (no pun intended) to get started with on his work. It's an undeniable anime masterpiece.
I watched Millenium Actress last month and I couldn't have asked for a better introduction to Satoshi Kon's work. It's beautiful, moving, inspired; everything about feels like a tribute to cinema itself.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Anonziller
Samurai

Post by Anonziller »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So down the road eventually due to still having plenty of anime I have to still watch I'm gonna give One Punch Man. So I just wanted to ask in your guys opinion but how good is the show?
It's great. Also check out Mob Psycho 100, same writer, equally incredible animation and similar comedy but way more over the top.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Just starter watching the Fist of the North Star anime on Crunchyroll. About 10 episodes in now and I was wondering if any of you have seen it before. I was reading some posts in Reddit and the reactions to the anime were mixed. I personally am a sucker for old anime and I like the aesthetic of the show (reminds me a lot of Trigun which was a great show). What do you guys think of Fist of the North Star?

xolta
GPN Volunteer

Post by xolta »

God in heaven season 2 of one punch mans animation has gone down the toilet. Its soooooo soo bad. :c

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

^Well that sucks. If that's the case, Netflix only having season 1 doesn't seem so bad.

I finished the Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind manga last week and it. Was. Incredible! I've spent the past couple years burrowing the volumes from the library since I first the movie two years ago. It was a journey unlike any other. I can't recommend it enough.

Next up, the second half of Gurren Lagann and the first volume of the Urusei Yatsura collection!
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

We got any gundam fans here? There's something Id like to ask.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Monster X wrote:We got any gundam fans here? There's something Id like to ask.
Reporting in.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Reporting for duty as well.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I hear the new Eva dub sucks
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
Reporting in.
Maverick Centigrade wrote:
Reporting for duty as well.

Hello, so what I wanted to ask was this.

I'm thinking of getting into Gundam. It's a franchise I've avoided, despite my love of Mecha, because it just seems so daunting. It's seems pretty big and complex but I want to give it a shot as I feel I'm really missing out.

So how would you suggest I begin. I was thinking right with the Original Mobile Suit Gundam?