A Korean Godzilla film

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: A Korean Godzilla film

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:There are plenty of talented Korean filmmakers who have made excellent sci-fi films, many in the same vein as Toho flicks. But as mentioned, I don't think the complicated history Korea has with Japan would make them open to adapting a Japanese character.
As I mentioned before, they somehow mustered the will to adapt Oldboy from a Japanese manga. Also, who do you think should direct the film? I'd say the guy who did Train to Busan.
nothing to do with will. And again, I sadly don't know enough about Korean politics and very much would like to avoid speaking for them.

Personally, I would prefer Bong Joo Ho. The Host was a perfect blending of allegorical story, imaginative and personality-filled monster and human drama, the recipe for a good kaiju film

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:There are plenty of talented Korean filmmakers who have made excellent sci-fi films, many in the same vein as Toho flicks. But as mentioned, I don't think the complicated history Korea has with Japan would make them open to adapting a Japanese character.
As I mentioned before, they somehow mustered the will to adapt Oldboy from a Japanese manga. Also, who do you think should direct the film? I'd say the guy who did Train to Busan.
The key factor is that Old Boy became popular due to the film adaptation. The film is popular, the manga, not so much. Godzilla is already an established film franchise that is popular for films.

I wouldn’t mind some of the best Korean directors working on Godzilla films, but I wouldn’t want Godzilla to really be anything but a Japanese production. Again as I say this I’m aware of the inherent irony due to the American productions, but I guess that makes sense more mentally with more healthy relationships with the United States, and the original KOTM being an important historical contributation to the spread of Godzilla as a global series.

With 98, and G14, the big appeal was,”Wow Big Hollywood money!”. While no one is disputing how good Korean films are, or how healthy the industry is, it still doesn’t compare to the American industry, which makes me wonder what the point of making a Korean Godzilla would even be.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

LegendZilla wrote:^Korea actually was occupied in 1910.
That was the 'official' date. For all intents and purposes, it was part of the Japanese Empire after China lost in the Sino-Japanese WAR OF 1894-95.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: I wouldn’t mind some of the best Korean directors working on Godzilla films, but I wouldn’t want Godzilla to really be anything but a Japanese production. Again as I say this I’m aware of the inherent irony due to the American productions, but I guess that makes sense more mentally with more healthy relationships with the United States, and the original KOTM being an important historical contributation to the spread of Godzilla as a global series.
But that logic could be flipped very easily to have someone find an American adaptation cringey or offensive, given what Godzilla was and the dynamic during and after the war.

It's not a dream of mine or anything, but I wouldn't be at all opposed to a Korean adaptation of the character. Godzilla is very much a character I see as global and more than any one nation's "ownership" of the character, origins or otherwise.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

the UK could also make a good version of Godzilla, they have very good and chilling takes on what could happen during a nuclear strike and a adaptation of the big g could take it to the next level.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

You know, as far as Godzilla movies go in the international market I think Hollywood has it covered, especially with China becoming a bigger and bigger factor (you really saw that in Pac Rim Uprising, and even a bit in KOTM). So I think more than anything we might see a Chinese Godzilla film at some point, or at least a Hollywood/US film with major contributions from their industry.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Allegedly China has expressed the desire to help co-produce an Ultraman series.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I garuntee a Chinese Godzilla film will never happen. If it ever did I’d gladly admit it and just erase myself from this forum.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Has there been a good Chinese blockbuster from the past decade? Everybody I know who's knowledgeable in China's cinema seems to agree that the best things to be made with Chinese money are always co productions with Hollywood. It's bad enough that there's Chinese influence in Kong and the next two Godzilla films anyways, I'd hate to see a full Chinese production.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I see it being more likely that movies about giant monsters from China are not based (often) on giant monsters from Japan or the US. There was the Ultraman movie in China that's been disputed, but I think it's more likely we'll see domestic lore and the like influence giant monster movies.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren