A Korean Godzilla film

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LegendZilla
Sazer

A Korean Godzilla film

Post by LegendZilla »

Earlier today I brought up this subject in the Monster manor, with another thread I made regarding Train to Busan only to realize that I best keep that thread dedicated to non-Toho Monsters, which is exactly what that subforum is for. Plus, posting this thread on the top section of the forum is bound to gather more attention. Anyways on to the point.

Since America now has established itself capable of properly making Godzilla films, why not give other countries a chance? I think a good candidate would be none other than South Korea, especially considering their track record of consistently good movies (especially horror/monster ones) for well over a decade now. How would you people feel about a South Korean-made Godzilla film? Yes, yes, I know it probably would be your first impulse to bring up Yongary, but I'm talking about if some major Korean film studio picked up the rights to the character and did a actual legitimate Godzilla movie. I know many of you would be skeptical of such and idea, understandably so especially with Korea's complicated history with Japan, but hey Oldboy started out as a japanese manga and now it's considered one of Korea's finest films in recent memory. If they can properly adapt one Japanese IP, why not take it to the next level and give Godzilla a shot?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: A Korean Godzilla film

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

They might still be assblasted over Japanese pirates from the 4th century so who knows what they'd make
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Oooof, it’s be interesting to see countries other than the US tryout making a Godzilla film.

Imagine a Bollywood, Chinese, or British Godzilla film.

I think the only thing that ends up hindering it a bit is the capabilities of that country to actually make the film, either through cgi or suitmation.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It'd end up like an Asylum film.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

I thought they did one already?

All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Oh, that could be very interesting! :D

Obviously it'll depend on who they get to direct and write it, but I really enjoy South Korean films (modern SK movies have such great production value, IMO) - a South Korean take on Godzilla could be really cool!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

If anyone can make a good movie, I’m all for it; and there’s a lot of great Korean film directors.

However, and prepare yourself for a slightly controversial statement, in regards to certain other countries, such as China, I do not think it’s appropriate to use the Godzilla license or imagery. I’ll state that Godzilla is a Japanese national icon, and given Japan’s controversial history, rivalry, and ongoing tensions with many of these countries, I just don’t see it happen. I view Godzilla as a distinctly Japanese monster, and “Asianficafion” of the series would dilute its roots and meaning.

Godzilla is a Japanese cultural icon. It’s like saying,”Why not make a Chinese Superman film?”

Of course, I already know I will get some responses, such as it’s hypocritical given the American Godzilla films. I have my issues with them as well being diluted; but I can still perceive it as a natural progression of film making given many of Godzilla’s predecessors, such as Kong being an American product. Post WW2, America has had a good relationship with Japan, and I feel that Godzilla has also parallely developed his own fan base and lore throughout America. And yet still, there’s problems with G14, that are sortve nitpicks for this reason (Bikini Atoll Testing was just to kill Godzilla), and let’s not even get into 98. I would not be interested in seeing anything remotely removed from G14 thematically.

Korea has a great film industry, and horror industry as well. I don’t see why they need Godzilla to keep it up. I say just make distinctly Korean films.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

The only Korean kaiju movies I've seen & heard were YONGARY and its 1999 CGI remake REPTILIAN, and PULGASARI. I wouldn't be sure of how would Korea would approach a Godzilla film, but it would probably be typical Korean propaganda portray the monster as Japan, of course, followed by anti-American depictions of the U.S. government, while Korea itself would be this glorified, triumphant country in war with the Big G.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

ManuJM1997 wrote:I thought they did one already?

That was North Korea; OP specifically mentioned the South.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wait are people seriously mixing up North and South Korea lol.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Allow me to help clear the confusion -- South Korea is OK, North Korea, well... Just watch this video.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd love to see a North Korean Godzilla just to see how prominent Kim Jong would be presented
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:Allow me to help clear the confusion -- South Korea is OK, North Korea, well... Just watch this video.
Yeah I mean I think everyone knows haha :lol:

Actually, around G14’s release, didn’t the official North Korean government release a statement via Twitter, saying they were making a Godzilla film?

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:They might still be assblasted over Japanese pirates from the 4th century so who knows what they'd make

To be fair, they were also invaded in the late 1500's and suffered massive losses. Then there was the 50 year Japanese occupation from 1895-1945. And when Japan became a modified fascist country, the Koreans were really treated like crap. IIRC, Japan has yet to fully pay reparations to both Koreas.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Korea actually was occupied in 1910.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

There are plenty of talented Korean filmmakers who have made excellent sci-fi films, many in the same vein as Toho flicks. But as mentioned, I don't think the complicated history Korea has with Japan would make them open to adapting a Japanese character.

RIP Evan.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

...I was joking

Of course I know of the separation of the Koreas and Pulgasari being North Korean being NK meanwhile OP asked for SK

Anyways, yeah, don't see that one happening.
It would be like for Israel to make a movie of a Nazi Germany created character (?)
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:There are plenty of talented Korean filmmakers who have made excellent sci-fi films, many in the same vein as Toho flicks. But as mentioned, I don't think the complicated history Korea has with Japan would make them open to adapting a Japanese character.
As I mentioned before, they somehow mustered the will to adapt Oldboy from a Japanese manga. Also, who do you think should direct the film? I'd say the guy who did Train to Busan.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Korea's movie industry totally demonstrates the ability to make a great Godzilla movie. What matters is how Godzilla is portrayed. While some may point to the historical depth of Godzilla, the same logic could be used to label any Hollywood/American Godzilla adaptation as highly offensive.

Fortunately, Korea's economy is highly advanced and the citizens are wealthy, so even with only about 50 million people a big-budget movie can still have a budget far larger than anything Toho's given Godzilla. The last giant monster movie from Korea was, after all, D-War, with a budget north of $30 million and despite being an awful movie still made nearly $100 million globally.

It's all about the same factors if any studio anywhere were tasked with making a Godzilla movie:

- Who's the talent involved?
- What's the vision of the movie and characters?
- What's the studio willing to do (budget, interference, etc)?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Wait are people seriously mixing up North and South Korea lol.
In this day and age, I'm not surprised. I served in Korea in 1988, while in the US Army, and I still know WHICH Korea I was in...