IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Postby KillCrites » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Great news! Even the only one of the IDW comics I really loved was The Half-Century War, comics are the perfect medium to get experimental with Godzilla and that's what I want to see with the franchise right now. I hope we get a good ongoing.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

G2000
E.S.P.Spy

Postby G2000 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Mr. Yellow wrote:Yes, they’ve got it back!!

More than two years after publishing their last Godzilla comic IDW Publishing has signed a new licensing deal with Toho.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2019 ... is-summer/

Oh hey holy poop
Just this week I was thinking “you know, it sucks how the IDW Godzilla comics just sort of petered out with Rage Across Time and Cataclysm, sort of wish we’d be getting more now that there’s new stuff coming out” and lo and behold
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Really? Sweet! Long as it is in the vein of Rulers of the Earth/Century War/Time/Cataclysm and less like Kingdom of Monsters/the weak one with the portals.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm

It does not directly confirm anything new; just that they’re rereleasing the old comics in better and large volumes of trade. However, it does seem likely as why would they be going through the motions, if the intent wasn’t to make more. I wonder if we could get a Shin comic; that would be dope.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

kingkevzilla88
JXSDF Technician

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:It does not directly confirm anything new; just that they’re rereleasing the old comics in better and large volumes of trade. However, it does seem likely as why would they be going through the motions, if the intent wasn’t to make more. I wonder if we could get a Shin comic; that would be dope.

True, they've just confirmed that new trades are coming. Nothing about an new ongoing or mini series.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, IDW's comic arm is been put up for sale.

https://www.newsarama.com/44484-idw-for-sale-j-p-morgan-hired-to-review-company-maximize-stockholder-value.html

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 am

Hmm, they would need to sign a new license agreement with Toho to release what they already did?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:42 am

Is Godzilla Rage Across Time any good? I was curious to check it out but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

For reference, I enjoyed Rulers of Earth for its artwork, fast pace, and "Saturday Morning Cartoon" type of feel, I liked Godzilla in Hell for its imagery and weirdness, I enjoyed Godzilla Cataclysm for its premise though I felt it could have been better, and of course Half Century War is great.

How does it measure up to those?

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:41 am

GojiDog wrote:Is Godzilla Rage Across Time any good? I was curious to check it out but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

For reference, I enjoyed Rulers of Earth for its artwork, fast pace, and "Saturday Morning Cartoon" type of feel, I liked Godzilla in Hell for its imagery and weirdness, I enjoyed Godzilla Cataclysm for its premise though I felt it could have been better, and of course Half Century War is great.

How does it measure up to those?

Rage Across Time issues 1,2,3, and 5 are amazing, but they each have a different level of focus on the monsters, and different levels of writing. Issue 4 is boring and doesn’t really compare to the others. If you could still get a trade that would be awesome.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:37 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Rage Across Time issues 1,2,3, and 5 are amazing, but they each have a different level of focus on the monsters, and different levels of writing. Issue 4 is boring and doesn’t really compare to the others. If you could still get a trade that would be awesome.

Awesome. Thanks!

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:30 am

Any news if Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters and Godzilla: Complete Rulers of Earth Volume 2 are still on schedule?

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:05 pm

mikelcho wrote:Any news if Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters and Godzilla: Complete Rulers of Earth Volume 2 are still on schedule?

Yes, they're still coming out, why wouldn't they be?

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:17 pm

They better be I have RoE on preorder....lol
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:08 pm

Godzillian wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Any news if Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters and Godzilla: Complete Rulers of Earth Volume 2 are still on schedule?

Yes, they're still coming out, why wouldn't they be?
Oh, good! I just wanted to make sure that they didn't push back or otherwise change the dates of release for both of them.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Any updates or news from IDW? I`d assume maybe we`d finally get another series but I suppose not now.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:40 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Any updates or news from IDW? I`d assume maybe we`d finally get another series but I suppose not now.

Nothing besides they're reissuing their series

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Hopefully they can do some more comics even if its just a bunch of mini series.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:34 am

I just want them to do at least one more story in the main storyline and finally put Ganimes and Minilla (the 2004 version) into it, thus finishing the Toho major monster roster.

And would it hurt them to finally have Minilla not only hatch from an egg, but age normally from infant to adult? Would it be asking too much if they could just do that?

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:57 pm

mikelcho wrote:I just want them to do at least one more story in the main storyline and finally put Ganimes and Minilla (the 2004 version) into it, thus finishing the Toho major monster roster.

And would it hurt them to finally have Minilla not only hatch from an egg, but age normally from infant to adult? Would it be asking too much if they could just do that?

Toho shot down the Minya aging story line I believe in ROE.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:01 pm

mikelcho wrote:I just want them to do at least one more story in the main storyline and finally put Ganimes and Minilla (the 2004 version) into it, thus finishing the Toho major monster roster.

Eh? There's many more monsters that haven't been used in IDW other than Minya and Ganimes.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm

Mr. Yellow wrote:

Eh? There's many more monsters that haven't been used in IDW other than Minya and Ganimes.

Many of which we don`t really know if they own or have the licensing for as well.

Monsters like:
Gabara
Dogora
Frankenstien (he is public domain isn`t he?)
Desghidorah
Daghara (who has now technically crossed over on screen to the Godzilla franchise)

Plus there were many monsters that were underutilized to the point that seeing them again wouldn`t be annoying;
IE; Orga, Moguera, Megalon, Gorosaurus etc...

That`s before we get into stuff that might be impossible to get or extra deals like Shin or the Mutos.

That`s before we get into the idea of original monsters and stuff. There`s plenty of ideas and things IDW could do if they wanted to continue the series.

Return to “Toho Comics, Books, Posters, Misc”