The Merchandise Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: The Merchandise Thread

Post by Dv-218 »

Yeah, saw a couple of Heise-themed shirts down at one of our local malls too. Kinda neat to see that merchandise for the franchise in general is a lot more common now.
And yeah, next month for KOTM merch makes sense.

Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

I've actually noticed LESS promotional merch for this film than for G14. That film had dogtags, multiple button sets, collector cups, two water bottles, shirts up the ass, pens, pencils, party supplies, hats...every little thing. KOTM barely has anything.
Audience Member:"What are your thoughts on the Godzilla gijinkas?"
Michael Dougherty:"............I have no idea what that is. Next question."
(Yes, this actually happened)

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Godzilla 1986 wrote:I've actually noticed LESS promotional merch for this film than for G14. That film had dogtags, multiple button sets, collector cups, two water bottles, shirts up the ass, pens, pencils, party supplies, hats...every little thing. KOTM barely has anything.
How much of that actually made mass release though? I feel like we saw samples of a lot, but it seemed like the U.S. in particular got far less products to pick from than places like the UK. Hell, I believe it was the UK, they even got a statue/Blu Ray set that the U.S. never got and it was a U.S. studio producing the film.

I'd rather see less and be able to buy all of it than see a lot and not even get to own it.

Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

GFAN198423 wrote:
Godzilla 1986 wrote:I've actually noticed LESS promotional merch for this film than for G14. That film had dogtags, multiple button sets, collector cups, two water bottles, shirts up the ass, pens, pencils, party supplies, hats...every little thing. KOTM barely has anything.
How much of that actually made mass release though? I feel like we saw samples of a lot, but it seemed like the U.S. in particular got far less products to pick from than places like the UK. Hell, I believe it was the UK, they even got a statue/Blu Ray set that the U.S. never got and it was a U.S. studio producing the film.

I'd rather see less and be able to buy all of it than see a lot and not even get to own it.
Well we did see a lot of that stuff, but usually it had to be ordered online from some distributor, you couldn't find them in stores. And a number of them were promotional only that ended up on ebay. I actually owned nearly everything that was released for G14, but lost most of it in a move. Sad day.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I remember a big display of non-figurine stuff at ToyFair or something for G14 that basically never ended up being made.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

It is kind of sad that the best merchandise push we ever got from a Godzilla movie in the states was Godzilla 1998. I mean, the Trendmasters figure line alone was huge!

Yet two different Godzilla movies where he actually faced enemies got barely a fraction of the amount of figures in their toy lines.

keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Post by keizerkaiju »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:It is kind of sad that the best merchandise push we ever got from a Godzilla movie in the states was Godzilla 1998. I mean, the Trendmasters figure line alone was huge!

Yet two different Godzilla movies where he actually faced enemies got barely a fraction of the amount of figures in their toy lines.
Makes sense if you consider how after G98 fell below expectations the toys remained as shelf warmers and the line devoted to the animated series was canceled. I'm expecting KOTM to be a bigger success than 98, but I think Godzilla (and kaijus in general) remains niche, as opposed to Marvel superheroes.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

keizerkaiju wrote:
RandomDeinonychus wrote:It is kind of sad that the best merchandise push we ever got from a Godzilla movie in the states was Godzilla 1998. I mean, the Trendmasters figure line alone was huge!

Makes sense if you consider how after G98 fell below expectations the toys remained as shelf warmers and the line devoted to the animated series was canceled. I'm expecting KOTM to be a bigger success than 98, but I think Godzilla (and kaijus in general) remains niche, as opposed to Marvel superheroes.
I mean, I am aware of the reasons, but it is still sad. Hell, I even understand being restrained with the 2014 toy line but it sure seems like they could take some risks with this film, since the previous one was actually a hit.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

That’s what’s been exciting with the 2014 film and now this, only 3 times in my life has Godzilla been a part of my daily life and culture and able to enjoy an experience mainly enjoyed in Japan. being able to walk into Walmart and see Godzilla is exciting.

Even if we don’t get everything we potentially could, I’m enjoying everything we do.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Per tradition, need to get some new merch for my kids to bring to opening night.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

With 2014, I got both NECA figures, 2 t-shirts, both Bandai creations vinyls, city of destruction set, Art or book, plastic party cups and pint glass.

With Kong I got the Lanard Kong, Funko POP, a t-shirt and the Art PF book, less options around release for Kong products. This past Friday i picked up the X-Plus Kong at a comic shop.

So far for KOTM, I have the JAKKS 12”, Godzilla vs Ghidorah set, Godzilla vs Rodan set, and 6” Ghidorah, with the NECA Mothra, Rodan and Godzilla in order as well as Bandai MMS Ghidorah and my Hot Topic T-shirt is on its way. I asked me fiancée to get me the art of book for my birthday.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Godzilla 1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by Godzilla 1986 »

Moogabunga wrote:We got some official merch!

https://twitter.com/resurrectiongoj/sta ... 9486551040
Japan only, it seems, due to it being in the Godzilla Store. Sucks, because that blue logo shirt is boss.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Moogabunga wrote:We got some official merch!

https://twitter.com/resurrectiongoj/sta ... 9486551040
That last shirt is nice! Actually all of them are.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Dang, that Sumerian/Assyrian styled Godzilla logo is fucking awesome. Wish it was on a shirt too lol.
Anyway, the other ones still look pretty damn epic.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

KOTM promo cup for Japanese theaters, looks like they just shrink the promo statue down, looks even better than the 2014.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

GFAN198423 wrote:KOTM promo cup for Japanese theaters, looks like they just shrink the promo statue down, looks even better than the 2014.

It’s fake.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
GFAN198423 wrote:KOTM promo cup for Japanese theaters, looks like they just shrink the promo statue down, looks even better than the 2014.

It’s fake.
AWWWW!!! >:(
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Chris55 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:

It’s fake.
AWWWW!!! >:(
Yeah. It’s a photoshop by a Japanese fan as a mock-up for what it could look like.

One of the comments on the original post is actually a Japanese person making fun of us Americans for believing it’s real.
Last edited by GoWhaleTours on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Yeah, immediately figured lol. That "Godzilla model" on the cup is clear photobash :lol:

Wouldn't be surprised if something similar will be done by cinemas tho.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.