Godzilla: King of the Monsters PHOTO THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters PHOTO THREAD

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smaller head makes him look more brolic.

Broader shoulders makes him look like he's being played by Brock Lesnar.

Dudes a tank, are you guys expecting him to look like a bobblehead or?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

GFAN198423 wrote:Whatever people think of the head proportion, not much has changed from 2014.

If this comparison is accurate, then either the legs and tail have been shrunken, or the 2014 Godzilla is actually shorter (and thus this picture would be inaccurate). I hope we get some official direct comparisons.

Can I go on a tangent here? Legendary Godzilla always seemed way bigger than officially stated. That shot where he’s walking back to the ocean- he’s gotta be around 500ft there.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LockBite wrote:
GFAN198423 wrote:Whatever people think of the head proportion, not much has changed from 2014.

If this comparison is accurate, then either the legs and tail have been shrunken, or the 2014 Godzilla is actually shorter (and thus this picture would be inaccurate). I hope we get some official direct comparisons.

Can I go on a tangent here? Legendary Godzilla always seemed way bigger than officially stated. That shot where he’s walking back to the ocean- he’s gotta be around 500ft there.
It always bugged me how at the end of 2014, his big 500ft lookin ass just drops into the bay of the city and disappears, I'd imagine he'd be crawling into the ocean since he could likely just walk on the bay

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

_JNavs_ wrote:
LockBite wrote:

It always bugged me how at the end of 2014, his big 500ft lookin ass just drops into the bay of the city and disappears, I'd imagine he'd be crawling into the ocean since he could likely just walk on the bay
I don’t know what the drop off is like down there. You know what’s really throwing me off actually? That shot in KOTM where he’s spouting atomic breath into the sky. Him being next to a newly surfaced submarine suggests that it’s deep water, but it looks like he’s standing on some invisible surface.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LockBite wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
LockBite wrote: If this comparison is accurate, then either the legs and tail have been shrunken, or the 2014 Godzilla is actually shorter (and thus this picture would be inaccurate). I hope we get some official direct comparisons.

I don’t know what the drop off is like down there. You know what’s really throwing me off actually? That shot in KOTM where he’s spouting atomic breath into the sky. Him being next to a newly surfaced submarine suggests that it’s deep water, but it looks like he’s standing on some invisible surface.
Exactly, same with when the MUTO was about to kill Brody and Godzilla pulls up just in time, ankle deep in the ocean, but he collapses later on and faceplants right into that same water a few minutes later. BUT THEN at the same time he's waist deep when he's by the Golden State Bridge. Now I understand oceans have drop off points here and there, but we're talking about a supposed 340 foot beast who just swam like it was nothing, past battleships and stands up.

Not to say each scene didn't completely engulf me in goosebumps because that film is so epic

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LockBite wrote:Those white background renders with the tiny head look weird as hell, and don’t line up at all with the posters or trailers.
It's a bad idea to base the design's proportions and details off of renders from marketing. They're edited to hell and back, case in point: the Godzilla in the poster is a composite of at least four different renders.

The only way to compare the two designs would be through screenshots from the final film which we obviously can't do cause KOTM isn't out yet.
It’s one thing to not trust the poster image, knowing now it’s a composite, but the renders going around are the original images used to make the composite and I believe accurate. The image I posted shows how close 2014 and 2019 are, and how 2014’s head can also look puny.

It can vary, I look at my 6” NECA and the head usually looks smaller, I look at the 12” and it looks bigger.

Every Godzilla has its good and bad angles, CGI models are no exception.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Oh how I miss that tail.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

The only change I don’t like is the tail
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

They docked off his tail like a dog.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

While I disagree with the choice to round off the tail, I do think it tapers a lot more nicely overall. 2014 has a point halfway down the tail where it becomes a lot narrower, which is most noticeable when Godzilla lumbers out of the water after killing the female MUTO.

BrazilianKaiju
Samurai

Post by BrazilianKaiju »

And since 2014 that was my only complaint with the design. In fact, none of the changes pleased me much because I already thought the design was satisfactory. The only thing I wanted was a larger head (or a slimmer body, to compensate).

And I think it's really big sometimes. He is much bigger than the submarine in the trailer, and already in the first movie he was very big compared to the aircraft carriers.

I do not know the model used in the film, but these boats can be more than 300 meters long: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimitz-cl ... ft_carrier

It is just his back's spines
Last edited by BrazilianKaiju on Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I’ve always like the 2014 and expected the design to stay the same for KOTM, however, now that change has been made, I do like the design even more after the changes.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

GFAN198423 wrote:I’ve always like the 2014 and expected the design to stay the same for KOTM, however, now that change has been made, I do like the design even more after the changes.
I agree. While I already liked the design, the changes made me like it even more. Atleast stuff like the new spines and elongated claws are neat little touches.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

The ‘54 spines have always been my most favorite of any Godzilla, so using those shapes with the 2014 design I already really likes makes 2019 a hybrid of 2 of my most favorites.

Added in 1 day 21 hours 39 minutes 25 seconds:
From Bandai packaging.

Added in 20 hours 1 minute 41 seconds:
Here are some high res scans I took of the JAKKS package art.

Added in 21 minutes 29 seconds:
Hoping we get a clearer copy of this image some day.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

GFAN198423 wrote: From Bandai packaging.
If it's alright to ask, what kind of scanner did you use for these images? Those are some really high quality scans you've got there!

I really hope Legendary shows us the full images these renders are pulled from eventually. They've made some breathtakingly gorgeous models for this film and I want to see them unobstructed and with nothing hiding any clear looks at 'em.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

The two blue Images from the JAKKS is just the scanner in my Epson all in one printer. The black and white package shot, I'm actually mad and forgot to scan before throwing the box into recycling this morning, it's an iPhone pic I took.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

GFAN198423 wrote:The two blue Images from the JAKKS is just the scanner in my Epson all in one printer. The black and white package shot, I'm actually mad and forgot to scan before throwing the box into recycling this morning, it's an iPhone pic I took.
Ah, cool!

Do you think you could scan any other merchandise-related artwork/renders you come across, if possible?

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Yeah, anything I come by that isn't officially posted online in a cleaner resolution I'll scan, I plan to scan the NECA box when it comes, I've also got the Bandai vinyl Ghidorah on order and the picture on the tag looks cool and is definitely something I haven't seen.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

That black and white still looks like the 2014 design!
Image Image

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »